Author Topic: Soloshot 3 Successes?  (Read 29565 times)

blueplanetsurf

• Site Sponsor
  • Teahupoo Status
  • Hawaii's SUP HQ
    • View Profile
    • Blue Planet Surf
Re: Soloshot 3 Successes?
« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2018, 09:19:41 AM »

With regard to it being cheaper to have a gf/wife film, a girlfriend, maybe. A wife, not so much, she learned after one sandblasted kite session in Maui not to do that again.
Haha, very true, I think using a GF or wife as camera crew will cost you a lot more in the long run.
Robert Stehlik
Blue Planet Surf Shop, Honolulu
Hawaii's SUP HQ
http://www.blueplanetsurf.com

clay

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • www.clayisland.com
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2018, 06:49:46 PM »
Hi Robert,

Glad to hear you have your soloshot3 working.  The frustration resonates, as well as being stoked to see it works and get good footage.

Please update us after 10 or so sessions as to how consistent your SS3 is, if it tracks reliably, or is hit and miss?

I really really really want the SS3 to work, I have had several sessions lately where I would have loved to have SS3 footage.  Great to have this video for my own personal learning and growth, and for cutting into my other video shots.

I'm reluctant to ask wife/girlfriend or even any friend to video, and then the difficult challenge of them knowing how to skillfully operate a camera and tripod.
Aloha, I welcome and appreciate all responses of positivity and good feeling.

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOIE6FWr1SpWvbPJIIiEgog

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2018, 07:55:58 PM »
This thread has me thinking.

I'm almost hoping it doesn't work because I would pay money to hear Clay post a video shredding them for unreliability and difficulty of use in his calm measured tones.

Lol. In fact, I think that could be a hugely successful YouTube channel if you ever want to go to the dark side man.

Delivered in chill Zen Clay voice: "Oh, hey, yeah, so I was out trying to get this f$&king piece of s)$t working and got to thinking about how we're all connected. Not at all like this damn solo shot that really won't connect to its tracker. I noticed some dolphins off in the distanc...  which is the bright side of my solo shot not actually filming me but instead being focused on the horizon. Would have missed those dolphins if it had worked, so that a nice benefit. I like to keep things positive. And I'm 100% positive that this camera is filming only my feet right now"

I don't know if you guys enjoy this but this thought has made my night. Howling at the thought of how good this would be.

Clay, I love your videos and VO. I'm pretty sure that you reading negative reviews off of Amazon is something that I'd watch for hours. I don't know why, but this has me rolling over here.

I know you're too nice of a dude to do it, but I can dream right? ;)

clay

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • www.clayisland.com
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: February 09, 2018, 07:27:57 AM »
This thread has me thinking.

I'm almost hoping it doesn't work because I would pay money to hear Clay post a video shredding them for unreliability and difficulty of use in his calm measured tones.

Lol. In fact, I think that could be a hugely successful YouTube channel if you ever want to go to the dark side man.

Delivered in chill Zen Clay voice: "Oh, hey, yeah, so I was out trying to get this f$&king piece of s)$t working and got to thinking about how we're all connected. Not at all like this damn solo shot that really won't connect to its tracker. I noticed some dolphins off in the distanc...  which is the bright side of my solo shot not actually filming me but instead being focused on the horizon. Would have missed those dolphins if it had worked, so that a nice benefit. I like to keep things positive. And I'm 100% positive that this camera is filming only my feet right now"

I don't know if you guys enjoy this but this thought has made my night. Howling at the thought of how good this would be.

Clay, I love your videos and VO. I'm pretty sure that you reading negative reviews off of Amazon is something that I'd watch for hours. I don't know why, but this has me rolling over here.

I know you're too nice of a dude to do it, but I can dream right? ;)

I am literally doubled over in my chair laughing out loud  ;D   

Cowboy you are hilarious, I really appreciate your posts and reading this one is a great way to start my day.  Thanks!   :)   :D   ;D
Aloha, I welcome and appreciate all responses of positivity and good feeling.

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOIE6FWr1SpWvbPJIIiEgog

eastbound

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 09, 2018, 10:23:57 AM »
site name:

ZenHate Island
Portal Barra 8'4"
Sunova Creek 8'7"
Starboard Pro Blue Carbon  8'10"
KeNalu Mana 82, xTuf, ergoT

WhatsSUP

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 09, 2018, 11:14:58 AM »
Cowboy:  Tooo funny.  I agree Clay providing an uplifting and highly critical review of SS3 would be freakin hilarious! The ending would have to pan to a classic full on destruction of some sort. 

I too REALLY REALLY want this thing to work as I want one badly!!!!  Every few days I comb the user groups looking for something along the lines of "finally, this software update cured all my problems" with multiple folks chiming in in agreement.   
Jimmy Lewis B&B Flat nose 10'1"
Sunova Creek 9'4" 
TAVA 11'2"
NSP Element 11'
KeNalu Wiki paddle
Kialoa Insanity paddle
Misc other paddles

APPST_Paddle

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: February 09, 2018, 03:29:33 PM »
Cowboy:  Tooo funny.  I agree Clay providing an uplifting and highly critical review of SS3 would be freakin hilarious! The ending would have to pan to a classic full on destruction of some sort. 

I too REALLY REALLY want this thing to work as I want one badly!!!!  Every few days I comb the user groups looking for something along the lines of "finally, this software update cured all my problems" with multiple folks chiming in in agreement.   

I'm doing the same, having video of yourself on a steady basis in a mix of conditions is probably the best way to improve. I'm holding out hope, but my main requirements is that it's an easy plug and play setup. 4k resolution, etc. I don't care as much about.
7'6" JL Super Frank Lean
8'2" JL SuperTech 
10'1" JL Black and Blue
14' BIC WS Tracer
6'5" JL Flying-V/GoFoil Maliko 200
Kenalu Ho'oloa 95, Werner Rip Stick 79

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 09, 2018, 06:55:17 PM »
Clay and guys, thanks. I have read it like 3 times and still laugh too (when I write I don't really pay attention, I just flow so I sort of forget what I said) such a funny image to me.

I acthope they work as well. I agree. I desperately need to see myself to move to the next level and the low angle nose shot doesn't help me really. Here's to Soloshot working it out.

blueplanetsurf

• Site Sponsor
  • Teahupoo Status
  • Hawaii's SUP HQ
    • View Profile
    • Blue Planet Surf
« Reply #23 on: February 10, 2018, 02:50:25 PM »
Funny stuff Surfcowboy.  Clay, I did make a plate and cover for my soloshot that I can clamp onto the railing that should take care of the wind shake issue and also protect the camera from glare and in a light rain.  I'll test it as soon as the conditions are good and post more about it soon.  I found the key to success is to properly "train" the camera before going out in the water.  You have to go back and fourth at a good distance to the camera which helps it improve the tracking accuracy and centering in the frame.  Also I turn the tracking off, move and turn it back on the check the tracking, which seems to help.  Also, they keep updating the software and I just downloaded the latest version.  It's not perfect but I am getting some good results.  I find the angle from the beach really helpful for seeing what I need to work on.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2018, 02:53:40 PM by blueplanetsurf »
Robert Stehlik
Blue Planet Surf Shop, Honolulu
Hawaii's SUP HQ
http://www.blueplanetsurf.com

FRP

• Bob
  • Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 13, 2018, 06:18:43 PM »
Success...... 3 sessions in a row with very good tracking, focus and keeping centered in the frame. Will continue to use the Soloshot 3 over the next 10 days or so and report back. Below is a little clip. It is interesting how Frank Island in the distance appears clear and close. It is quite a ways off.

Cheers

Bob

Sunova 8'10" Speeed
Sunova 8’7” Creek
Sunova 9’x30” Revolution
KeNalu Konihi 84 (primary paddle)
Kialoa Pipes II
Werner Nitro Carbon

"The time spent surfing is time that is added to my life" “In the ocean we are all connected”
Anon

supthecreek

« Reply #25 on: February 13, 2018, 08:08:38 PM »
I am finally getting some results from my SoloShot3 Optic65.

It ha managed to fail, somehow, in every good session since November because of Tag issues.
1 tag replacement took 4 weeks... yesterday the tag simply shut off during a good session.

Today, it tracked well all session.
Settings I used:
Tight
Lower center

Sometimes the cam fell behind if I went to fast, but mostly it was good.
Terrible surf session, so nothing I want the world to see.... but here is a still, with some bonus grabs from the day.

When I watched the video, I saw a lot of stuff that was going on around me, that I never saw while I was in the water.
Jumping rays, Portuguese Man-O-War, something dark and large, that I have no idea what it was.

Note.... the last time I updated (mid-December)... it seemed to follow perfectly, so I haven't updated since.
Shaking remained my biggest problem... but now, I have a nice 10' cliff to keep the wind off the cam.

ps... my walk-about trip is going great.... 85* and sunny everyday, with decent waves. ;D ;D ;D

surfafrica

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • YouTube
« Reply #26 on: February 14, 2018, 10:27:01 AM »
Rick, is this what you were thinking to yourself?  ;-)
50 years old, 5'7", 150 lbs, intermediate
Infinity RNB: 7'6 x 28, 95 L https://goo.gl/SqlWR4
Kronos LB: 8'10 x 26.5, 84 L https://goo.gl/4iQdps
Kronos Nano: 7'4 x 26, 81 L https://goo.gl/kAM8W6

eastbound

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 14, 2018, 10:45:47 AM »
so studly creek, you getting waves down there today??--cocoa pier doesnt look too bad on cams....for florida, that is

but hey, youre the floridian...at least this year---where will you snowbird next, oh creek??
Portal Barra 8'4"
Sunova Creek 8'7"
Starboard Pro Blue Carbon  8'10"
KeNalu Mana 82, xTuf, ergoT

FRP

• Bob
  • Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 14, 2018, 04:56:47 PM »
Creek

The pictures of the flying great blue heron and the “flying ray” are great! I had no idea that rays could do that. Wow........ and what the heck is that thing swimming behind you??

Cheers

Bob
Sunova 8'10" Speeed
Sunova 8’7” Creek
Sunova 9’x30” Revolution
KeNalu Konihi 84 (primary paddle)
Kialoa Pipes II
Werner Nitro Carbon

"The time spent surfing is time that is added to my life" “In the ocean we are all connected”
Anon

supthecreek

« Reply #29 on: February 14, 2018, 05:36:57 PM »
Rick, is this what you were thinking to yourself?  ;-)

ha ha.... that "muscle shot" is just me tightening the strap to the Soloshot tag.... the heron flew through at that moment. ;D ;D

FRP... I have no idea what it was..... in the video it is much creepier. Maybe a big ray? It had two "eyes" on the top of it's head, but not big enough to be a manatee.  There were lots of things "looking" at me that session... and I was solo most of the time. Fishing boats were gathered just outside, so some feeding was going on.

eastie.... I totally love this area. North Hutchinson Island, Fort Pierce. So quiet and peaceful.
lots of open mangrove preserves to paddle and dirt tracks for my mountain bike.
I am active every day. Losing weight, loving life.... I'd come back here in a heartbeat..... but NOT for the surf.... it's ok, and consistent so far, but I struggle to surf well in chop.

What I really am growing to appreciate, is the struggle.
At home, no one surfs when it's onshore and choppy..... here, it's a way of life.
Wobbling around in voodoo chop for 3 hour sessions, is really upping my stability fitness.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal