Author Topic: Soloshot 3 Successes?  (Read 29676 times)

APPST_Paddle

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Soloshot 3 Successes?
« Reply #30 on: February 15, 2018, 07:41:34 PM »
Just bought one second hand, we will see how it goes. Apparently it's locked to his account so there may be some issues with livestreaming to the app, etc. but I mainly just want to capture video and download/edit on my own. I seriously doubt anyone wants to watch me sitting on a SUP anyways.
7'6" JL Super Frank Lean
8'2" JL SuperTech 
10'1" JL Black and Blue
14' BIC WS Tracer
6'5" JL Flying-V/GoFoil Maliko 200
Kenalu Ho'oloa 95, Werner Rip Stick 79

clay

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • www.clayisland.com
    • Email
« Reply #31 on: February 15, 2018, 08:00:46 PM »
Thanks for updating and I look forward to hearing success stories!

Glad to hear I'm not alone in struggling to get it working.  And stoked to hear there is progress!  The camera shake is annoying, I guess some kind of wind block is mandatory?

Second hand, that's awesome for a new product.  I hope I can score a used deal.
Aloha, I welcome and appreciate all responses of positivity and good feeling.

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOIE6FWr1SpWvbPJIIiEgog

APPST_Paddle

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #32 on: February 16, 2018, 03:00:52 AM »
Thanks for updating and I look forward to hearing success stories!

Glad to hear I'm not alone in struggling to get it working.  And stoked to hear there is progress!  The camera shake is annoying, I guess some kind of wind block is mandatory?

Second hand, that's awesome for a new product.  I hope I can score a used deal.

Yeah, 2 tags too. Although, be warned, apparently Soloshot has no way right now of resetting the credentials on the base once registered. I received an e-mail that they are working on it, but........nothing yet. So, basically it's not a huge deal except if you plan on livestreaming. Also, you would have to stay logged in as whomever to get updates, etc.

Luckily I know the guy quasi that I bought it from, so the latter should not be an issue until they get it fixed.

I'll definitely post reviews.
7'6" JL Super Frank Lean
8'2" JL SuperTech 
10'1" JL Black and Blue
14' BIC WS Tracer
6'5" JL Flying-V/GoFoil Maliko 200
Kenalu Ho'oloa 95, Werner Rip Stick 79

WhatsSUP

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 16, 2018, 03:53:36 AM »
 Second hand purchase for the SS3 might be a good option but sure seems to be pretty risky at this point.  It sounds like Soloshot is talking to APPST so that's good!  Always seems like they'd have to provide the same level of support as an original buyer.......I'd like to think that anyway.

Meanwhile the watch and wait for issue resolution continues....sure hope they find one to at least eliminate the random inconsistent operation issues.
Jimmy Lewis B&B Flat nose 10'1"
Sunova Creek 9'4" 
TAVA 11'2"
NSP Element 11'
KeNalu Wiki paddle
Kialoa Insanity paddle
Misc other paddles

eastbound

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 16, 2018, 04:09:49 AM »
i worry that dji or another well-moneyed drone co will blow SS outta the water, with a killer robot cam, and ill have a paper-weight on my hands

we shall see--hoping to grab a sesh today if mkts arent nuts--but it's rainy so no SS
Portal Barra 8'4"
Sunova Creek 8'7"
Starboard Pro Blue Carbon  8'10"
KeNalu Mana 82, xTuf, ergoT

rbgar

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 18, 2018, 06:30:12 AM »
Great last video Rick, any kite surfing there? I think I've seen some south of Ft Pierce inlet when its blowing.
YouTube

supthecreek

« Reply #36 on: February 18, 2018, 07:29:22 AM »
Hi Johnny!.... Yes, i was filming Kites at Jetty Park, Ft. Pierce last week.... great set-up and local crew there!
My friend Lisa was kiting and I also met up with DW (Dwight) and got to see him ripping it up on his Kite Foil!
Please let me know if you are in this area this winter!

I have been surfing a lot, and tons of outdoor fun.... but I will put up DW's kite foiling video soon.

clay

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • www.clayisland.com
    • Email
« Reply #37 on: February 18, 2018, 12:43:53 PM »
I am finally getting some results from my SoloShot3 Optic65.

Shaking remained my biggest problem... but now, I have a nice 10' cliff to keep the wind off the cam.

Rick I enjoyed your recent video, was that filmed with SS3?  If so has me wanting to give it another try. 

How goes the wind block?  Wondering if the shake is purely the wind or is a cheap 1800mm lens on a motor going to vibrate no matter what?

clay

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • www.clayisland.com
    • Email
« Reply #38 on: February 28, 2018, 07:14:40 AM »
Price on the Optic 65 dropped by $200.  I am torn as to whether this is a sign of it's reduced quality, or a great time to buy?  Either way I ordered one and am giving it another try.

Also I see Soloshot issued another update last week, can anyone report if they have done the update and seen any improvement?

FRP

• Bob
  • Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 28, 2018, 09:56:45 AM »
Clay,

Stoked to hear that you are jumping back in with a SS3 and look forward to your videos. Is SS3 perfect? ........... no....... is it good ....... most definitely! I am trying to keep up with the updates. Will be shooting again in 10 days and let you know if I notice a difference with the latest update.

Cheers

Bob

Sunova 8'10" Speeed
Sunova 8’7” Creek
Sunova 9’x30” Revolution
KeNalu Konihi 84 (primary paddle)
Kialoa Pipes II
Werner Nitro Carbon

"The time spent surfing is time that is added to my life" “In the ocean we are all connected”
Anon

WhatsSUP

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 28, 2018, 11:23:07 AM »
Clay nailed it....Soloshot website now has the SS3 w/65optic for $699 and the 25X is $549......interesting! 
Jimmy Lewis B&B Flat nose 10'1"
Sunova Creek 9'4" 
TAVA 11'2"
NSP Element 11'
KeNalu Wiki paddle
Kialoa Insanity paddle
Misc other paddles

supthecreek

« Reply #41 on: February 28, 2018, 11:40:56 AM »
SS3 Optic65

I have not updated since mid December.
Why?
Cuz it tracks me and centers me most of the time.

Settings:
1080P
Water
Bottom center
Tight

Pretty darn good most of the time, so I won’t update until I know it’s perfect.

It struggles to keep up with me going frontside (away from camera)
Follows pretty well going backside (towards the camera)

Video qualty when zoomed in tight is very good!
Way better than quality from my 60x zoom Sony handicam.

I’ll put up a SS3 Demo vid soon, that shows zoom, good and bad results.

eastbound

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 28, 2018, 11:42:34 AM »
yay clay---good luck---if mine worked smoothly and consistently id be using it--but, in the cold up here, i cant deal with the tinkering etc

and i am stuck on the SS3 ride, so i will try to get some value from the thing, but it annoys that they sold me that my early order and insane patience earned me a discount--now, after SS held my money for nearly 2 years of BS, frankly, my great discount is common currency--no loyalty earned here, so far
Portal Barra 8'4"
Sunova Creek 8'7"
Starboard Pro Blue Carbon  8'10"
KeNalu Mana 82, xTuf, ergoT

clay

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • www.clayisland.com
    • Email
« Reply #43 on: March 04, 2018, 07:52:43 AM »
Thanks for sharing settings and stories.

So first test with the newly acquired SS3.  Did a great job tracking me in the parking lot, and paddling out.  After a couple wave attempts it lost me and never recovered, I was occasionally partially in the frame for a second.  Frustrating as I had one of the best foil rides I have had yet. 

For those who are tinkering/fiddling with the settings have you had an experience where it tracks well at first and then looses you?  Has playing with the settings improved the tracking?

Next time I am going to try a wider zoom out and hopefully see me and how far off center I am.

On a positive note - I built a wood windblock and it seems to help with the camera shake.

FRP

• Bob
  • Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 04, 2018, 08:02:33 AM »
Hi Clay

I did contact Soloshot about tracking problems in January and they sent
suggestions to try. Likely you are doing this but it did help a lot and only having the occasional tracking problem. I think starting out on the wide zoom at first is a good idea. There is the suggestion that the camera “learns” to track. Not sure about this but hope you have some better success.

Bob

Joseph A (SOLOSHOT)
Jan 16, 1:55 PM CST

Hi Robert,

Thank you for reaching out.

Please make sure that during initial calibration and for the first few minutes of tracking, the Tag is at least 25 ft away from the Base (this was recently implemented since it improves the rate of tracking success). Also note that moving horizontally side-to-side in front of the SOLOSHOT3 helps the unit get a better lock initially than moving to and from the camera.

You can view step by step instructions below.

1. Power on the Tag

2. Power on the Base

3. Check Tag and make sure there is no line through the GPS icon

4. Place Tag at least 25-30 ft away from the Base

5. From the home screen on the Base, select Track

6. Click the blue track button and begin tracking (select activity if prompted)

7. Begin Calibration

8. Head back to the Tag immediately and walk a few steps left to right from camera (not to and from)

9. After calibration the Base should be pointing at you, tracking, and recording. You would also see a green blinking LED light.

10. Remain at least 25 ft away from the Base for several more minutes. Minimum distance will eventually decrease to around 10 ft.

Please note that night filming might affect tracking. We did introduce some features that aid with night filming with a recent update. These settings work best in 1080p30, so I would definitely recommend that setting during low light.

If you continue to have issues, please send in footage for our engineers to review.
Sunova 8'10" Speeed
Sunova 8’7” Creek
Sunova 9’x30” Revolution
KeNalu Konihi 84 (primary paddle)
Kialoa Pipes II
Werner Nitro Carbon

"The time spent surfing is time that is added to my life" “In the ocean we are all connected”
Anon

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal