Author Topic: ion sup leash  (Read 6129 times)

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: ion sup leash
« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2018, 08:12:33 PM »
Yes, they are compatible. You use a fin screw wrench to take the screw out of the cuff and move the swivel to the leash lock belt with the same screw. If you're surfing larger waves you might want something more substantial that the DaKine coiled leash. The Waist leash puts more strain on everything. I use 9mm leashes and make my own connections, but the DaKine outer reef stuff is pretty bomber as is the Leash Lock stuff. I make my own belts.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Zooport

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2018, 09:07:06 PM »
I like Sean's way of looping the rail saver through the plug string. I use it on my surf SUP. Most leashes come with average plug strings, this should be your first upgrade if you paddle in surf.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ElG-2uhNczk
Oh my gosh! I have been surfing for 45 years and did not know those two tricks with leashes.  Thanks for sharing.
8'6 Soul Compass
9'1 Sunova Creek
9'6 WaveStorm SUP
9'8 Starboard Element

Quickbeam

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 09, 2018, 10:54:49 PM »
Yes, they are compatible. You use a fin screw wrench to take the screw out of the cuff and move the swivel to the leash lock belt with the same screw. If you're surfing larger waves you might want something more substantial that the DaKine coiled leash. The Waist leash puts more strain on everything. I use 9mm leashes and make my own connections, but the DaKine outer reef stuff is pretty bomber as is the Leash Lock stuff. I make my own belts.

Thanks PonoBill. Think I'll order the belt and some of the leash attachments. And just to clarify, I'm not a surfer. Mostly paddle flat water, so I think for what I'm doing, my leashes are O.K. Thanks again.
Infinity Blackfish 12’ 6” x 23”
ONE SUP Evo 12’ 6” x 24”
Infinity Whiplash 12' 6" x 24 1/2"
ONE SUP Evo 12’ 6” x 26”
Bark Competitor 12’ 6” x 29”
Red Paddle Explorer (Inflatable) 13' 2" x 30
Starboard Airline (Inflatable) 12’ 6” x 27

Dusk Patrol

• Teahupoo Status
  • PNW
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 10, 2018, 12:19:20 AM »

I was surprised to see the advice to roll your wetsuit over the ankle leash. Is the idea that one might have to pull the quick release loop a myth? Has anyone ever actually had to do that?
RS 14x26; JL Destroyers 9'8 & 8'10; BluePlanet 9'4; JL Super Frank 8'6

Night Wing

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Piney Woods of Southeast Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 10, 2018, 05:03:25 AM »
I have dual leash plugs on my Hammer and I also ordered them for my new custom built One World (which is now being built for me and which should arrive sometime in late January or early February). I chose Robert's (of Blue Planet) method for attaching my leash to my dual leash plug Hammer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uvsn5GQLPNE
Blue Planet Duke: 10'5" x 32" x 4.5" @ 190 Liters (2 Dukes)
Sup Sports Hammer: 8'11" x 31" x 4" @ 140 Liters
SUP Sports One World: 11'1" x 30" x 4.5" @ 173 Liters
CJ Nelson Parallax: 9'3" x 23 1/2" x 3 3/16" @ 78.8 Liters (prone surfing longboard; Thunderbolt Technologies build in Red construction)

Green Water Sports

• Site Sponsor
  • Peahi Status
  • https://greenwatersports.com
    • View Profile
    • Green Water Sports - Inflatable SUP boards & stand up paddle boards & more
« Reply #20 on: January 10, 2018, 05:49:12 AM »
I was surprised to see the advice to roll your wetsuit over the ankle leash. Is the idea that one might have to pull the quick release loop a myth? Has anyone ever actually had to do that?

Thankfully I don't have to surf with a wetsuit but either way, I've never pulled the quick release.
Julian
https://greenwatersports.com
Green Water Sports LLC - Inflatable SUP boards & stand up paddle boards & more. Call us on 1-888-252-4983
Red Paddle Co, Starboard, SIC Maui, Tahe, Naish, Fanatic, Accent Paddles, Onyx, FCS, Vamo

Subber

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 10, 2018, 08:37:38 AM »

Good point.

Many years ago, I did get my leash caught on a rock once - it was pretty difficult for me to release the cuff.
I was lucky it was in less than head high water.

Being under the wetsuit would make it more difficult.

Now, I'm much more practiced - practice each time I take it off.
Also, I singe the edge of the velcro so starting removal is easier
and, on some leash cuffs, I've moved and/or lengthened the pull tab.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2018, 08:41:27 AM by Subber »
Jimmy Lewis Black & Blue Noserider 10'1"x31"x4.25," 164 liters, 24 lbs, 1 box
Pearson Laird Surftech Longboard 10'6"x23"x29.75"x18"x4.375," 154 liters, 24 lbs, 3 boxes
Takayama Ali'i II Surftech 11'x21.375”x28.5”x17.25”x 4.25,” 162 liters, 26 lbs, 3 boxes

Zooport

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: January 10, 2018, 11:56:40 AM »

Not really a myth, but really hard to do.  I've had a few situations where I was getting worked in big surf and wished I could release my leash.  At least for me, the problem was getting my hands on that little loop when you are tumbling and being dragged along underwater.  I was never able to get mine loose. 

« Last Edit: January 10, 2018, 12:02:58 PM by Zooport »
8'6 Soul Compass
9'1 Sunova Creek
9'6 WaveStorm SUP
9'8 Starboard Element

Zooport

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: January 10, 2018, 12:01:36 PM »
Plus, if you were worried about that, you could always arrange it so the loop is hanging just outside of your wetsuit. 
8'6 Soul Compass
9'1 Sunova Creek
9'6 WaveStorm SUP
9'8 Starboard Element

eastbound

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 12, 2018, 09:46:08 AM »
leash under wetsuit makes no sense to me---it'll interfere with booties and let more water in, and the ability to release easily can be a lifesaver

no matter--i wear a waist belt--never going back--thk you mr beasho!

and realease at the waist is much easier than at the ankle

mr beasho has sewn "chicken loops" to make it even easier--my disciplehood has taken me to the chicken loop yet, but if i surfed mavericks it might!
Portal Barra 8'4"
Sunova Creek 8'7"
Starboard Pro Blue Carbon  8'10"
KeNalu Mana 82, xTuf, ergoT

yugi

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 19, 2018, 04:29:23 AM »
In summer the waters I SUP in have a huge amount of pleasure motorboats. I’m always vigilant and presume I cannot be seen. I always wear a leash but I’m always very prepared to have the reflex to undo it should I need to bail at the last second. 

I never trust pleasure boaters to be very smart or to pay attention to where they are going. 

I’d keep the leash velcro super handy for an emergency bail.  Objectively the biggest danger I face when paddling is the distracted throttlehead. (I'm an urban cyclist too. Same story.)

https://youtu.be/1vEz0it6FXQ

PS> NOT wearing a pfd is a plus in a situation like this. In case I need to dive deep. I do have an inflatable one on me at all times for legal reasons. Very easy to inflate if needed.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2018, 04:32:04 AM by yugi »

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal