Author Topic: ion sup leash  (Read 6128 times)

nicos

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
ion sup leash
« on: January 08, 2018, 11:18:21 AM »
might be obvious but what’s the loop at the end of the velcro that attaches to the board.?
if that’s the way to attach it to the board then why the extra velcro..?

Subber

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
Re: ion sup leash
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2018, 11:30:26 AM »
The loop is called the "leash string" and it attaches the leash to the leash plug in the board.

The leash string is attached to the "rail saver" (extra folded Velcro & strap). The rail saver protects your board from being
cut by the leash (and also the cord from being cut by the fins sometimes).

Then, the rail saver is connected to the "leash cord."
« Last Edit: January 08, 2018, 11:35:26 AM by Subber »
Jimmy Lewis Black & Blue Noserider 10'1"x31"x4.25," 164 liters, 24 lbs, 1 box
Pearson Laird Surftech Longboard 10'6"x23"x29.75"x18"x4.375," 154 liters, 24 lbs, 3 boxes
Takayama Ali'i II Surftech 11'x21.375”x28.5”x17.25”x 4.25,” 162 liters, 26 lbs, 3 boxes

nicos

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2018, 12:02:46 PM »
ok,
with my other leashes,i put a rope through the leash plug and pass the leash velcro closure through..
with this one,if i pass the leash string which is already attached to the velcro through the leash plug and pass it through the velcro,its too short and the swivel hits the board...
so no rail saving ...
am i doing something wrong....?

Subber

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2018, 12:18:49 PM »
Yeah...that's not good.  You definitely want "rail saving."

It is a bit difficult to tell without pictures.

It maybe your rail saver is too short? 
They are different lengths - although they don't usually advertise the lengths.

With some leash plugs (like the ones on the surface of the board deck), you
do a slip knot with the leash string.  On others (like the ones that go through
the fin box), you just have a big knot (inside the fin box) in the leash string that
keeps it attached to the board.

Leash strings are also different lengths, maybe use a longer one.
Jimmy Lewis Black & Blue Noserider 10'1"x31"x4.25," 164 liters, 24 lbs, 1 box
Pearson Laird Surftech Longboard 10'6"x23"x29.75"x18"x4.375," 154 liters, 24 lbs, 3 boxes
Takayama Ali'i II Surftech 11'x21.375”x28.5”x17.25”x 4.25,” 162 liters, 26 lbs, 3 boxes

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2018, 08:06:44 PM »
That leash string is a suggestion (freebie) and not for all boards. Just make another one out of nylon cord. (Backpacking stores have it if you don't have a boating or surf supply near you.)

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2018, 09:28:54 PM »
That's a pretty weenie-looking leash string. The string is one of the most common failure points for a leash since it works against the pin and the edge of the leash plug. The string included with most leashes sucks toads to begin with. Buy a few yards of 1/8" Dyneema or Spectra line and you'll probably never break a loop again.

The swivel hitting the board is not a problem. The string is supposed to be as short as you can make it and still be able to pull the leash saver through the loop. Rails can be cut by a long leash string.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2018, 09:34:44 PM by PonoBill »
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

nicos

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2018, 11:42:16 PM »
thanks for the info..!
i’ll get some decent string..!

yugi

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2018, 02:14:17 AM »
ok,
with my other leashes,i put a rope through the leash plug and pass the leash velcro closure through..
with this one,if i pass the leash string which is already attached to the velcro through the leash plug and pass it through the velcro,its too short and the swivel hits the board...
so no rail saving ...
am i doing something wrong....?

Is the leash plug loop fixed to part of the velcro? 
   https://www.ion-products.com/water/men/accessories/tec-accessories/surfboard-core-leash-comp/

As Ion is North's kiting branch I was looking at the product to see if it didn't already come with a spectra/dyneema string. (the dinky look).
« Last Edit: January 09, 2018, 02:59:18 AM by yugi »

Green Water Sports

• Site Sponsor
  • Peahi Status
  • https://greenwatersports.com
    • View Profile
    • Green Water Sports - Inflatable SUP boards & stand up paddle boards & more
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2018, 06:37:29 AM »
I like Sean's way of looping the rail saver through the plug string. I use it on my surf SUP. Most leashes come with average plug strings, this should be your first upgrade if you paddle in surf.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ElG-2uhNczk
Julian
https://greenwatersports.com
Green Water Sports LLC - Inflatable SUP boards & stand up paddle boards & more. Call us on 1-888-252-4983
Red Paddle Co, Starboard, SIC Maui, Tahe, Naish, Fanatic, Accent Paddles, Onyx, FCS, Vamo

eastbound

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2018, 06:45:44 AM »
the leashlok attachments shown here are excellent--they are sewn webbing--same tech used for the "sewn runners" that connect equipment via carabiners in rock climbing--you can hang a car from them! nothing to knot--they just slip through the leashplug and loop through themselves--clean and excellent

they're like 2 bux and, when i always get a few when i order leashlok waistbelts--which are also excellent

http://www.leashlokhawaii.com/leash-attachments---leash-belts.html
Portal Barra 8'4"
Sunova Creek 8'7"
Starboard Pro Blue Carbon  8'10"
KeNalu Mana 82, xTuf, ergoT

JimK

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Big Guys can have fun too!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2018, 07:38:39 AM »
Folks,

ION is part of Boards and More the same parent company as FANATIC.

Fanatics come with TWO leash plugs to disperse the load (leash tug) I've NEVER seen a leash plug blow out of a Fanatic.

So thus the need for a longer leash line on ION Leashes

just an FYI guys

JimK
Extreme Windsurfing

Quickbeam

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2018, 08:25:00 AM »
the leashlok attachments shown here are excellent--they are sewn webbing--same tech used for the "sewn runners" that connect equipment via carabiners in rock climbing--you can hang a car from them! nothing to knot--they just slip through the leashplug and loop through themselves--clean and excellent

they're like 2 bux and, when i always get a few when i order leashlok waistbelts--which are also excellent

http://www.leashlokhawaii.com/leash-attachments---leash-belts.html

Hey eastbound,

Thanks for the link to the Leashlok site. Looks like a great product. I think I might order the waist belt and a couple of the leash attachments. Thanks again.
Infinity Blackfish 12’ 6” x 23”
ONE SUP Evo 12’ 6” x 24”
Infinity Whiplash 12' 6" x 24 1/2"
ONE SUP Evo 12’ 6” x 26”
Bark Competitor 12’ 6” x 29”
Red Paddle Explorer (Inflatable) 13' 2" x 30
Starboard Airline (Inflatable) 12’ 6” x 27

eastbound

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2018, 10:13:52 AM »
also--given your quiver, you might want a coiled leash--the belt can accomodate any with a male connector, incl those sold by leash lok.

i have bot a dw board, so have ordered a coiled leash for that purpose--in surf i used their 9ft mega series--long enough to clear the board, short enough to keep away from others and retrieve quickly

havent used an ankle leash in years
Portal Barra 8'4"
Sunova Creek 8'7"
Starboard Pro Blue Carbon  8'10"
KeNalu Mana 82, xTuf, ergoT

nicos

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2018, 01:11:47 PM »
this is very good info...!
thanks again...!

Quickbeam

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2018, 04:58:36 PM »
also--given your quiver, you might want a coiled leash--the belt can accomodate any with a male connector, incl those sold by leash lok.

i have bot a dw board, so have ordered a coiled leash for that purpose--in surf i used their 9ft mega series--long enough to clear the board, short enough to keep away from others and retrieve quickly

havent used an ankle leash in years

Thanks eastbound,

I already have lots of coiled leashes, and I suppose I should have asked this in my last post. Most of my leashes are Dakine coiled, calf leashes, much the same as this (https://www.amazon.com/Dakine-Coiled-Leash-10-Feet-16-Inch/dp/B006VG4H7O/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1515545458&sr=8-4&keywords=dakine+coiled+calf+leash).

I have a waist pack and I wrap the calf portion of the leash around my waist pack and thus have in a way fashioned my own waist belt leash attachment. Can you tell me if the Dakine coiled leash like I have shown above is compatible with the waist belt that lok sells? Thanks.
Infinity Blackfish 12’ 6” x 23”
ONE SUP Evo 12’ 6” x 24”
Infinity Whiplash 12' 6" x 24 1/2"
ONE SUP Evo 12’ 6” x 26”
Bark Competitor 12’ 6” x 29”
Red Paddle Explorer (Inflatable) 13' 2" x 30
Starboard Airline (Inflatable) 12’ 6” x 27

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal