Author Topic: Samsung Gear Sport vs. "others" such as Fenix 3?  (Read 3687 times)

connector14

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Samsung Gear Sport vs. "others" such as Fenix 3?
« on: January 07, 2018, 12:40:14 PM »
I am still debating about what if any watch/tracker to buy and why. I really enjoy tracking my workouts and am only thinking about changing my current setup because I know that sooner or later my current gear is going to fail.
My current setup:
Garmin 78sc mounted on the board where I can easily see my average speed, distance, and heart rate.
Heart Rate is being sent from a Scosche Rhythm+ (arm band...ANT+ sensor)
Endomondo App on my S7 also tracks everything including the heart rate and the app also synchs automatically with MyFitnessPal back when I get home and onto my wifi network.

This has all been working pretty well,  but I'd love to ditch the arm band or chest strap which I also sometimes use. And it would be nice NOT to have to carry the phone. But I do really like the Garmin out front to watch. I guess my real question is,  anyone using the Gear Sport for SUP?  How well is it working? Can the Endomondo App be installed on it?  What about Garmin trackers for SUP?
Open to all sugguestions and advice (other than don't use any of this stuff....sorry,  but it motivates me and pushes me forward toward my goals...I use it to compete against myself)
"never leave the dock without your paddle"
Imagine Rocket 14 ...my new favorite, smooth and fast and lite
2018 Red Paddle 14 x 27 Elite
2014 Bark Dominator 14....smooth and quiet
2014 Imagine Connector 14...the "barge"

supuk

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
Re: Samsung Gear Sport vs. "others" such as Fenix 3?
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2018, 12:52:16 PM »
the fenix 3 have been on offer here at a really good price so I picked up a fenix 3 HR sapphire a week ago very happy with it so far. it took a little while to get used to the hr bump on the back but don't notice it now, the 5 is a lot flatter. haven't managed to get the surf tracker app set up properly yet so if anyone has done that on the 3 I would be keen to hear.

connector14

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2018, 01:31:55 PM »
I hear the Gear Sport also has a noticeable bump for the hr sensor...but I also hear that is supposed to make it fit closer for more accurate readings.
The 3 is supposed to have an onboard app for SUP. If it does,  can you tell us what data it can be setup to show on the screen at the same time?
"never leave the dock without your paddle"
Imagine Rocket 14 ...my new favorite, smooth and fast and lite
2018 Red Paddle 14 x 27 Elite
2014 Bark Dominator 14....smooth and quiet
2014 Imagine Connector 14...the "barge"

supuk

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2018, 02:07:14 PM »
I hear the Gear Sport also has a noticeable bump for the hr sensor...but I also hear that is supposed to make it fit closer for more accurate readings.
The 3 is supposed to have an onboard app for SUP. If it does,  can you tell us what data it can be setup to show on the screen at the same time?
yes the 3 has a sup ( i guess more for distance type stuff)  i belive you can cutomise all the screens and set them up with whatever you want but i have not yet experimented with that yet or any of the real training type stuff. Im not realy a tech guy and only had it a week or so so im sure others will be able to help a lot more

SupSimcoe

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • SimcoeSup
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2018, 04:52:20 PM »
I have the new Garmin Vivoactive 3 and love it. It has a Sup function as well and is very accurate for stroke count when compared to my Motionize and the distance and speed is perfect as it has Glonas
SUP Lake Simcoe
Clearwood VLZ 14*23 hollow wood- self-built
Starboard 2021 Sprint 14*19.75
Kenalu Mana 82
Quickblade UV 82 Carbon
SUP Reviews  http://simcoesup.blogspot.ca/

maxsonic

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2018, 06:17:29 PM »
I have the new Garmin Vivoactive 3 and love it. It has a Sup function as well and is very accurate for stroke count when compared to my Motionize and the distance and speed is perfect as it has Glonas

If you're not ready to shell out the $269-$299 for a Vivoactive 3, the Vivoactive HR can be had for $130 (refurb) to $163 on Amazon. The Vivoactive HR has been great on the water, and Garmin Connect Online has excellent activity/fitness tracking tools. Syncs your GPS tracks effortlessly with Relive www.relive.cc

Love my Vivoactive HR!

MAX

https://www.relive.cc/view/g16599890562

mrbig

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2018, 09:27:20 AM »
+1 on the Vivioactive HR. Very accurate HR with the strap which was, and still is, very important with my heart issues.

No need to take a phone on the water!

The app works well and gives views, satellite, or not of where you went and speed, strokes, et cetera et cetera.
Let it come to you..
SMIK 9'2" Hipster Mini Mal
SMIK 8'8" Short Mac Freo Rainbow Bridge
SMIK 8'4" Hipster Twin
King's 8'2" Accelerator SharkBoy

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal