Author Topic: Cook Islands - SUP rentals and lodging recommendations?  (Read 3670 times)

ruralwaters

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
Cook Islands - SUP rentals and lodging recommendations?
« on: January 04, 2018, 10:22:13 PM »
I am planning a trip to the Cook Islands.  Any recommendations for SUP rentals?   Lodging recommendations?   Other intel?

Thanks in advance. 

Quickbeam

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
Re: Cook Islands - SUP rentals and lodging recommendations?
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2018, 10:15:37 AM »
When are you going? My wife and I will be there in October / November this year.

I have visited the Cook Islands three times, but it has been a very long time since our last visit. So I’m sure a lot has changed since we were there. I found a great website (http://www.cookislands.org.uk/) that should provide you with a lot of information. And if you have questions, you can contact the website author and he will get back to you.

How long are you going for? And I’m assuming you are going to Rarotonga? If so, I’d highly recommend you also take the time and spend at least a bit of time on Aitutaki. On our first trip to Rarotonga we did a snorkeling tour which included one night on Aitutaki. We haven’t been back, but this time we are staying three weeks on Rarotonga, and in the middle of our three weeks will spend four nights on Aitutaki. It has been said that Aitutaki has one of the nicest lagoons in the South Pacific, and from our previous visit I’d have to agree. It is just breathtakingly beautiful.

On Rarotonga, we will be staying in the Titikaveka region, on Tikioki beach (close to the Fruits of Rarotonga). We are really only staying here because this is the same place we previously stayed so many years ago. It is a private residence on the beach. It’s not fancy, but is located on one of the best snorkeling beaches on Rartonga.

I’m not sure about SUP rentals. I am hoping to take my own inflatable, but haven’t got that completely worked out at this time.

Let me know if I can be of any further help. We loved the Cook Islands when we went and are really excited about returning. Hope your vacation is a good one!

Infinity Blackfish 12’ 6” x 23”
ONE SUP Evo 12’ 6” x 24”
Infinity Whiplash 12' 6" x 24 1/2"
ONE SUP Evo 12’ 6” x 26”
Bark Competitor 12’ 6” x 29”
Red Paddle Explorer (Inflatable) 13' 2" x 30
Starboard Airline (Inflatable) 12’ 6” x 27

Quickbeam

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2018, 10:21:19 AM »
Here are a couple more websites on the Cook Islands. These are both local websites so I thought you might find them interesting. The second one is the Cook Islands newspaper.

http://www.ck/index.html

http://www.cookislandsnews.com/
ONE SUP Evo 12’ 6” x 24”
ONE SUP Evo 12’ 6” x 26”

ruralwaters

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2018, 12:34:52 PM »
Quickbeam - thanks for all the great info.  We've just decided on going to the Cooks and are now figuring out the when and details.  We are planning on two weeks and dividing our time between Raro and Aitutaki but are interested in getting out to other islands too.  We are looking for lodging that provides that magic mix of privacy, beach front, proximity to amenities like cafes and groceries, and affordability.  :)
Small, clean, funky, and quiet in a good location is always a prize.

I did find this rental/tour place https://www.kitesup.co/

Thanks for the tip on Tikioki beach.  I'll check it out.  Please feel free to PM me with any other lodging details you can share.

Quickbeam

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2018, 02:03:49 PM »
Hi ruralwaters,

Sent you a PM.
ONE SUP Evo 12’ 6” x 24”
ONE SUP Evo 12’ 6” x 26”

Quickbeam

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2018, 03:34:13 PM »
Hey Ruralwaters. Just wondering if you made it to the Cook Islands? We are on our way this coming Saturday for a three week visit. I plan on taking my Red Explorer with me. Am starting to get pretty excited. If you've already been, do you have any tips for me?

As I said earlier, we've actually been to the Cook Islands three times, but the last time was 18 years ago, so it's been a while.
ONE SUP Evo 12’ 6” x 24”
ONE SUP Evo 12’ 6” x 26”

ruralwaters

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2018, 08:24:07 PM »
Sadly, I have not made it to the Islands.  I really appreciate your info and am looking forward to your trip report!  Happy travels!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal