Author Topic: Why not a prone version of the Speeed?  (Read 5652 times)

Fog City Rider

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Why not a prone version of the Speeed?
« on: January 04, 2018, 05:13:29 PM »
Sunova makes prone versions of the Shroom & Soul, so why not the Speeed?  I assume it would go well since the design is such a hit with everyone who rides it.

The Dynamo model looks similar at least.

https://sunovasurfboards.com/en/surf/everyday/dynamo
San Diego, CA
10'0 Naish Nalu Pro (2017 version)
9'0 Pearson Arrow Laird custom
9'3 Pearson Arrow custom (prone)
9'8 Takayama In the Pink (prone)

FRP

• Bob
  • Sunset Status
    • View Profile
Re: Why not a prone version of the Speeed?
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2018, 08:29:07 PM »
From Surfology

“Channels are designed to achieve both concave and vee effects and in the hands of a master shaper are surely one of, if not the, fastest and most purely functional designs in surfboard history. In the hands of a skilled rider, channels produce extraordinary length through rail turns and provide wave "feedback" unlike any other board. But they're difficult to manufacture, unpredictable in choppy surf and perhaps best suited to expert riders and/or flawless surf conditions.”

To be honest I have little idea what this means but for what every reason the Channels on the Speeed are a remarkable part to the board. Bert Berger certainly fits the description of a “master shaper”. I certainly do not fit the description of an”expert” rider and yet the board works well for me in good conditions. Looking forward to the arrival of the Creek in a month or so. It would be interesting if two of the most popular Sunova high performance boards ended up both having channels.

Bob
Sunova 8'10" Speeed
Sunova 8’7” Creek
Sunova 9’x30” Revolution
KeNalu Konihi 84 (primary paddle)
Kialoa Pipes II
Werner Nitro Carbon

"The time spent surfing is time that is added to my life" “In the ocean we are all connected”
Anon

Fog City Rider

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Why not a prone version of the Speeed?
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2018, 09:59:22 PM »
Maybe it's the channels, but that board has some special sauce for sure. I would love to hear a side-by-side comparison of Speeed & Creek.

I only surfed the Speeed once but it left a sizable impression on me - stable, a wave catcher, FAST and a tail that offered incredible control. A magic board.

But I've been more into prone surfing lately which is why I posed the question. I messaged the Sunova website & received a detailed response from Martin a few hours later... long story short, they're working on it :)

San Diego, CA
10'0 Naish Nalu Pro (2017 version)
9'0 Pearson Arrow Laird custom
9'3 Pearson Arrow custom (prone)
9'8 Takayama In the Pink (prone)

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal