Author Topic: New Year...New SUPs...  (Read 3388 times)

SlatchJim

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: New Year...New SUPs...
« Reply #30 on: April 14, 2018, 08:21:35 PM »
Wardog,
I know you grew up in Santa Barbara in the era of George Greenough Greg Liddell and Marc Andreini.  Have you ever tried to incorporate a displacement hull into one of your designs?  I'd love to see what that nose would do on, a 9-9 x 33 noserider.  I used to love the way my weber would ride from the front and have yet to ride something like that in a stand up.

By the way, tell Deb congrats on retirement from us.  Color us green with envy.

SUP Sports ®

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Stoked For Life ®
    • View Profile
    • SUP Sports ®
    • Email
« Reply #31 on: April 16, 2018, 11:36:06 AM »
Wardog,
I know you grew up in Santa Barbara in the era of George Greenough Greg Liddell and Marc Andreini.  Have you ever tried to incorporate a displacement hull into one of your designs?  I'd love to see what that nose would do on, a 9-9 x 33 noserider.  I used to love the way my weber would ride from the front and have yet to ride something like that in a stand up.

Aloha Jim,
I did ride, and was influenced, by the displacement hull designs of George Greenough and Greg Liddle in the years running up to the Thruster Revolution...
I had surfing friends that were all in on those designs...they worked as good...or, better than anything at the time in classic California point waves...

I shaped a couple for myself...7'2" and 7'4" models with very thinned out rails...flat rockers...I jokingly called them "Tongue Depressors"...however, I also surfed the hollow Oxnard beach breaks in those days and was influenced by the Campbell Bros "Bonzer" as well as the Clyde Beatty "Rocket Fish" multi-fin designs...and, gravitated to the more radical "shake-a-leg" short board style required to ride them with full user input...I reckon my Gemini personality allowed me to compartmentalize the difference in the way that you have to approach surfing these boards...;-)

I spent countless hours with George Greenough at the beach after surfing and windsurfing sessions talking board and fin hydrodynamics...used to drive Deb bonkers...;-)

I think that without the single flex fins, those designs wouldn't work like they did...and, I have very much incorporated those flex characteristics into my fin designs over the last couple of decades...

http://supsports.com/sup-fins

Displacement hulls and their variants...Stubbies...Speed Eggs...etc...are not the easiest boards to ride...but, I got pretty decent at it once I figured out that a more minimal (Mini-Mal) rider input was required...trim supersedes radical maneuvers...even though you could still turn one on it's rail at full speed...they were very at fast climbing and dropping on the wave face...not being ridden from the tail...these boards kinda had a mind of their own with that belly in the nose and would dictate riding style...

I haven't specifically designed boards with all of these elements to try and duplicate that design in a SUP...but, I think that my Hammer design very much incorporates what I liked about those designs...while being more multi-dimensional...still very fast and can be ridden from the front half...or, front 1/3 of the board at full trim...and, I have also designed and built several thinned out Stoke designs with flatter rockers and wider noses...which can be ridden with one of my flex fins...

By the way, tell Deb congrats on retirement from us.  Color us green with envy.

Thanks for thinking of her...she handled the tribute last night from the ACM Awards show to the 58 killed and 851 injured (including me) in Las Vegas,  pretty well...it's nice not worrying about her potentially dodging bullets in the classroom anymore...onwards and upwards...
« Last Edit: April 16, 2018, 12:20:26 PM by SUP Sports ® »
Mahalos...{:~)

WARDOG ®
Owner/CEO  StandUp Paddle Sports®  &   SurfingSports®.com, Inc.

(805)962-SUPS (7877) store
(888)805-9978 toll free

Retail Store:
Standup Paddle Sports, LLC
121 Santa Barbara St.
Santa Barbara, CA 93101

SlatchJim

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 17, 2018, 08:39:07 AM »
When I first transitioned from bodysurfing to boardriding, it was through a pressman (Hal) my dad had working for him at the time who was a kneeboarder, living in Pasadena at the time.  He'd take my 13 year old grom self up to Ventura Harbor, Oil Piers and Mondos on kneeboarding road trips during the weekends, and we'd talk about Greenough's board designs at length.  He moved to Summerland a few years after and to Cambria for a brief while.  I had no idea at the time how much of my life would be spent in the surf.  We spent the whole weekend surfing, Saturday with my son, and Sunday up at Dev with my daughter.  42 years later, I'm still grateful to my dad for letting me go on those early roadtrips with is hippie surfer pressman.

SUP Sports ®

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Stoked For Life ®
    • View Profile
    • SUP Sports ®
    • Email
« Reply #33 on: April 17, 2018, 09:36:03 AM »
A few of the top 10 best surf sessions of my life were shared with George Greenough...

Full moon at Rincon with 6'-8' faces...bioluminescent algae lighting up the water...orange and pittosporum blossoms blooming...pods of dolphins surfing the swells...totally magical...

Another was a late season west swell that lit up one of our sleepy world class right hand point breaks...dawn patrol...oily glass...sun coming up in my eyes...just myself and George on it...he took off in front of me on a big set wave thinking that I wouldn't make it because I was so deep...so, I got to ride behind him a spell before he spun around on his mat and saw me...he told that it blew his mind that I made it...

VW van surfing road trips back in the day were awesome...I'd rather go back in time in a way back machine to surf single fin hulls with hand tied bungee kook cords on uncrowded point breaks than zoom into outer space using future technology to hunt down surf on another planet...but, it would be fun to do both...;-)
« Last Edit: April 17, 2018, 09:37:59 AM by SUP Sports ® »

WARDOG ®

(888)805-9978 toll free

Retail Store:
121 Santa Barbara St.
Santa Barbara, CA 93101

SUP Sports ®

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Stoked For Life ®
    • View Profile
    • SUP Sports ®
    • Email
« Reply #34 on: April 18, 2018, 12:57:24 PM »
Just finished up this awesome custom 11'6" x 31" One World for the SCI group...

WARDOG ®

(888)805-9978 toll free

Retail Store:
121 Santa Barbara St.
Santa Barbara, CA 93101

SUP Sports ®

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Stoked For Life ®
    • View Profile
    • SUP Sports ®
    • Email
« Reply #35 on: April 18, 2018, 01:00:11 PM »
Starting up a new batch of California built custom SUPs for Carl (11'11" x 31" One World Surfari)...Capt. Ted (10'3" x 31" Mahalo)...and, Mark (11' x 35.5" Hammer)...

WARDOG ®

(888)805-9978 toll free

Retail Store:
121 Santa Barbara St.
Santa Barbara, CA 93101