Author Topic: Ecuador/North Peru  (Read 2440 times)

eastbound

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Ecuador/North Peru
« on: January 03, 2018, 04:46:24 AM »
I am looking for a place to travel solo from NE US for surf in a few weeks (best get on figuring out where!).

My research shows that Ecuador and No Peru have good waves throughout the year---uniquely, tho, in Jan-Mar, when el Salv, Nica, CR, PR etc dont fire so well

I may just book with Waterways or Wavehunters, but need to suss out that they will be good with taking me (and my SUP) to key breaks--or, better yet, that they might have a guide who SUP's.

Anyone got knowledge re No Peru and Ecuador? Esp as re to SUP surfing? Guides? etc.....??

My impression is that crowds are not too bad, at least by our standards, exceptiuon being holiday weekends.
Portal Barra 8'4"
Sunova Creek 8'7"
Starboard Pro Blue Carbon  8'10"
KeNalu Mana 82, xTuf, ergoT

NEsurfSUP

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
Re: Ecuador/North Peru
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2018, 07:43:28 AM »
I was in Los Organos for work just over a year ago, and I can verify that the coastline is full of great beach and point breaks (mostly lefts).  A very accomplished local SUP surfer there said that they do pick up a good swell from North Pacific storms, in their summer, and that it means that some right breaks work as well....and the surfing crowd is down.  The main surf center in that part of Peru is Mancora, and it might have SUPs for rent, but I can't confirm that.  Are you planning to bring your board?

Los Organos did not have SUP rentals at that time, but I borrowed one at the end of my trip and I got to surf the beautiful left point there.  The locals did not mind SUPs, although that may have been because I was surfing with the local guy (also SUP surfing) who loaned me the board.  My work takes me to the coast of a lot of countries with surf, but this one is the one that I have most seriously thought about returning to on a true surf trip, as it has consistent swell and very consistent weather (e.g. offshore winds in the morning).  The land is pretty dry and desolate by the way.

I flew from Lima into the small airport in Tumbes, close to the Peru - Ecuador border, but I don't know if they have rental cars there.  I think that most decent hotels/lodges in that area (e.g. Mancora and Los Organos) would send someone to pick you up.   I was warned to be careful in Tumbes, as there apparently is a higher level of crime there due to being a "border town".  But my taxi into, and overnight stay in Tumbes went smoothly. 

I can't offer any advice about surf lodges or tour guides, but if you can get a board, and you don't mind lefts, you could probably be happy just staying in Los Organos, and surfing the left point there. 
One piece "electric" Creek 9'4"
Two piece Sunova Creek 9'4"
CoreVac Cannibal Blade 8'8
Angulo surfa 9'8
Naish Mana 10'
Red Sport 11'
2014 Naish Glide 14'
Werner nitro
Black project three part paddle

eastbound

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2018, 09:35:20 AM »
thx much NE
Portal Barra 8'4"
Sunova Creek 8'7"

surfercook

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Jersey Shore
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2018, 10:47:16 AM »
I too have been to Peru for a surf trip. The movie "Peel, The Peru Project" had me hooked on traveling to that amazing coastline ripe w/left point breaks (even though I'm a reg foot). Getting there was not so easy. We booked on Continental Airlines for Easter break since my kid was still in HS back then (March 2008). I knew that boards were embargoed when flying from Newark to Lima so I inquired at the resort where we had booked our stay and was told there were numerous places to rent, so I was covered there. The airline agent I spoke w/told me the embargo was necessary for the passenger jets to clear the high altitudes of the Andes. I ended up w/a coupla different boards during the week long stay. One really nice custom gunny funshape that was shaped in Arica, Chile. But getting from Lima to Mancora proved to be a challenge. Upon landing in Lima we had to take a domestic flight to some city to the north that I can't remember the name of. From there the resort shuttled us up to Mancora. It was definitely a long journey but the bountiful swells I caught made the trip well worthwhile. We were a party of four including myself, my wife and kid, and my mother-in-law. The resort Samana Shakra is an all inclusive yoga retreat within walking distance of the point where you surf and just far enough from town to be nice and quiet. We didn't rent a car as there are numerous "Motocab taxis" available to get around. We did hire a car and driver one day and hit a break about an hour or so to the south called Lobitos (Little Wolves). It was weird because the water was noticeably cooler there, although not quite wetsuit temp luckily. There is a deep upwelling cold water current there called the Humbolt current that is nutrient rich. This makes for some marvelous seafood available in the area. I heard that in the ancient days of Machu Pichu there were "Fish Runners" that would run the fish to Machu for the royals.
  I tossed a bunch of links in for you. Unfortunately you will have to rent Peel. I could not find it on YT for free. But I've taken the DVD out of the public library here in Ocean County, NJ.
You will find Mancora will have some crowds as the Pan Amareican Highway runs right through the town and it's a resort area. Lobitos is a small fishing village w/not much to do or stay there so the crowds are far less. Also Lobitos is pretty far from the highway so access is mor difficult. Def worth hitting it. There were only a coupla surfers out when we hit it.

Shutterfly album of our trip-
pix.sfly.com/y5kGAeeU

Samana Shakra resort-
http://www.samanachakra.com/surfing/

http://www.samanachakra.com/accommodations/

https://vimeo.com/ondemand/peeltheperuproject

« Last Edit: January 03, 2018, 11:15:49 AM by surfercook »
One could go into a mall in Kansas and ask a teenager "What is a surfer looking for?, and the answer will always be, "The perfect wave"
9'11" PSH Hull Ripper-145 ltr    
9'3" PSH  Hull Ripper- 130ltr 
8'0" Corevac Assassin -127 ltr   
Paddles- Carbonerro PRO SERIES 85 & Riviera Camo at 70"

eastbound

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2018, 02:02:41 PM »
cookie--thx a lot!

i will watch peel tonight.

shaping up like ill stay near mancara and move around by day for best surf

planning to bring one or two boards and two paddles--the booking guy i am working with said no problem with board transport--i iwll confirm this carefully!

i will report back once i book--shooting for 1/13-21

hope you are getting your health/strength back

unfortunately i have to return my soloshot3---latest update wont take......

i am reg footed too, but grew up surfing lefts on LI (occasional rights in NJ and RI), and preferred skating vertt backside---so backside might actually be my better side??

ill post you as things develop
Portal Barra 8'4"
Sunova Creek 8'7"

surfercook

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Jersey Shore
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2018, 02:16:43 PM »
hope you are getting your health/strength back
unfortunately i have to return my soloshot3---latest update wont take......
I am indeed getting my strength and health back. It's been just over two weeks since the wreck and the last three days have been virtually pain free. Today especially. luck me!
Too bad about Three. I just updated and tested mine. It took nicely too. I hadn't used it since 12/18 when I wrecked.
Good luck in Peru....Jealousy reflex triggered!
One could go into a mall in Kansas and ask a teenager "What is a surfer looking for?, and the answer will always be, "The perfect wave"
9'11" PSH Hull Ripper-145 ltr    
9'3" PSH  Hull Ripper- 130ltr 
8'0" Corevac Assassin -127 ltr   
Paddles- Carbonerro PRO SERIES 85 & Riviera Camo at 70"

yugi

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2018, 10:32:32 AM »
Thanks for reminding me eastbound. I almost forgot something today!

A friend of mine from Peru used to work in surf spots up north. Today is her birthday and I almost forgot to call her. I’ll ask her and get back to you.

My buddies who live in Rio and go to N Peru for kite surfing in the waves sent me these links for Mancora. (it’s on my list!). They stay in Mancora and take jeeps to the different locations.

These are for kitesurfing but you could call there and ask what waves are like these days. The kiters go there for the waves. Mancora has a bit warmer water.

House:
http://www.mancorapuntaala.com/

Hotel:
http://www.lasolasmancora.com/

other Links:
http://www.mancorakiteclub.com
http://www.vivamancora.com

* Recent Posts

post Re: Need a new Impact Vest
[Wingsurfing, Windfoiling, Wingfoiling, Wing SUP]
foiled again
April 24, 2024, 08:00:16 PM