Author Topic: West Maui visit first week of Jan - any takers for a morning session?  (Read 3837 times)

jondrums

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
I'll be staying with the family at a resort right in front of Rainbows and I plan to get out every morning at first light.  Hopefully the wind and swell cooperates.  Would be overjoyed to meet up if anyone is in town at the same time or local.  I'm bringing my foil board, but can set it up without the foil depending on conditions.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: West Maui visit first week of Jan - any takers for a morning session?
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2017, 10:26:15 AM »
According to SurfLies, Rainbows is gonna suck. Flat and windy. Kanaha will be a better bet, though small too. And perhaps windy early, though that part of the forecast can certainly be wrong. Perhaps your best bet is a few downwinders. The wind direction has finally shifted and we might get some decent Maliko runs with tradewinds from the east and dinky surf. If you want to give that a go, get in touch with Headmount or Jeremy Riggs to get a guided tour. Be great to meet you, but I lack Bill Boyum's patience in guiding downwinders.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

jondrums

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2017, 05:35:27 PM »
Bummer about Rainbows surf report, but when I stayed in a similar place last year there was something coming through to ride even when the report said flat, so I remain hopeful.  I used to windsurf plenty, so I'm familiar with Kanaha.  I keep seeing videos of people foiling in Kahului harbor - would anyone be kind enough to share what conditions to look for and where to put in?

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2017, 06:58:23 PM »
Most foilers access the harbor at the boat ramp.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Kahului+Ramp/@20.8962957,-156.4783042,15z/data=!4m5!3m4!1s0x0:0xb91b066393b8fcb7!8m2!3d20.8962957!4d-156.4783042

Kite Beach and the boneyard (between Kanaha and the shit plant) is the favored place in smaller surf.

Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

jondrums

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2017, 01:19:44 PM »
Yup, it's flat as hell here as predicted. Will try some other spots

supdiscobay

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2017, 04:56:08 PM »
Looks like you will get something on Tues/Wed/Thurs that might wrap around to S-Turns, Little Makaha and Honolua Bay.  That will usually mean that Rainbows/Osterizers will break.
If Honolua is big go check it out.  It is worth a paddle out.  Might have to wait for awhile to get a wave.  No SUP's though!
8'5" Starboard Pocket Rocket, 8'0" Kazuma Fugu custom,  8'10" Kings Sidewinder, 10' Starboard Noserider, 14' BARK Carbon Dominator, SIC F16 V3, KeNalu and Quickblade paddles, 19' Eaton Prone, 67" Goode 9700

Rider

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2017, 05:10:54 PM »
Sad but true.  If you want to surf tomorrow, head to Puamana for dawn patrol.  No foil needed.  Paddle down towards guardrails.  There is always something.  Get in get out, back the condo for lunch.  Tomorrow?  Head to Puamana for dawn patrol etc, etc, etc.  Happy New Year. 

jondrums

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2017, 05:19:24 PM »
Yeah with this size, it's not breaking deep enough for a foil it seems.  Will probably hit up somewhere between Puamana and Launiupoko tomorrow morning. Fingers crossed for mid week. 

I've seen Honolua breaking many times but never paddled out. Too rusty on a surfboard anymore to try it now.

Rider

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2017, 07:35:56 PM »
It’s better to park at Puamana and paddle down.  Good safe parking, nice people, great showers.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2017, 09:42:31 PM »
Fuck those baby waves, come do a Maliko and get the shit scared out of you. Call Headmount (Bill Boyum) and get his lazy ass on the shuttle. Yeah, I've had a bit of champagne. It's new years.

jondrums

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2018, 01:01:00 AM »
S turns was pretty enjoyable this morning and there were 5 other foilers out there with me!  Sorry, no maliko run for me this time around.

daswusup

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2018, 07:31:56 AM »
i started calling it Foilturns last march when it was already mostly foilers. It was funny because there was 7 foilers two supers(me & my brother) and one proner(my buddy). First time I experienced the joy a beginner foiler coming straight toward me and wrecking!!! I was bothered at first as most of them seemed to be on their first or second session at a popular break totally kooking and shooting foils toward people, but then came home and bought a foil. All part of God's plan I suppose.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal