Author Topic: Nosara- Costa Rica. Beach advice- big swell on the way.....  (Read 7968 times)

devon_sup_surf

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Nosara- Costa Rica. Beach advice- big swell on the way.....
« Reply #15 on: December 22, 2017, 06:34:54 PM »
Thanks guys.

Unfortunately 10 Pies didn't have anything suitable- mostly small and large stuff everything else was on loan so I'm committed to a fish board for another couple of days then I will try a 120L board from there.

Surf was large today but it's getting bigger I believe. Ostinal was pretty steep and I hit the bottom a couple of times which was a bit scary. After building during the day Guiones worked nicely in the evening- comfortably over head high and thick as it was high tide. Tomorrow will be bigger.

The hold time and washing machine experience is the most difficult bit for me to learn to cope with tbh. Hopefully I will get better at it! Had it a bit in UK surf but this is def tougher.

APPST_Paddle

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: December 23, 2017, 10:22:01 AM »
Yeah I've been to Ostional once, a lot of closeouts, not really that much fun.

If you want to go on a day trip- you could take off for Avellanas/Negra, it may be a bit smaller and the Rivermouth is a really fun wave (just make sure you are within 3 hours or so of high tide). Eat lunch at Beach Box or have drinks at Lola's, fun day.
7'6" JL Super Frank Lean
8'2" JL SuperTech 
10'1" JL Black and Blue
14' BIC WS Tracer
6'5" JL Flying-V/GoFoil Maliko 200
Kenalu Ho'oloa 95, Werner Rip Stick 79

abmatt

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: December 23, 2017, 04:43:09 PM »
If it gets really big, go to Garza and surf the soft reef way inside the bay, as far north as you can go. Mellow insiders there, no matter the size outside (where there's a fun outside reef by the way).

addapost

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 25, 2017, 06:28:06 AM »
Oh snap I forgot, I went to Playa San Juanilo, a little protected bay about 10 miles north of Nosara. Nice little beach, good snorkeling, and can have a nice easy little wave when it's huge outside, depending on the swell direction. Have fun, CR is pure awesomeness.
Bunch of old shit

devon_sup_surf

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: December 28, 2017, 01:43:16 AM »
Hi guys

So I'm now back in the UK and thought I would update the thread in case others search in the future

wow what an amazing time
food is quite expensive. even the grocery stores aren't cheap.
even if there's no surf- there's always surf. especially on a sup. a magic seaweed 7s wave period still provided nice rideable waves. A British MSW forecast would be useless but it just seems to pick up almost any swell.
Ostinow beach just north picks up a bit more power and swell. it's a steeper wave though and the bottom becomes shallow vv quickly so you can hit the bottom. it's only sand but it's unnerving IMO. Also chance of car break in is higher or flip flops stolen.
some SUP rental options but not great and not cheap. Juian's had a Gerry Lopez which was heavy but not bad. A bridge board between long and shortboard. 10 Pies restaurant had loads of boards but not much for the intermediate. Most were advanced or v large IMO. And £££ here too.
Coconut Harris's had a couple- including a lovely exocet fish 124L which I really liked.
Mornings and evenings best for surf. onshores mess it up during the day.
super busy now and for the next few months. Daytime surf is less clean but far less busy.
The sun is sneaky!!!! This is aimed more at those who aren't used to such a burning sun.
Big rips at Guiones and Ostinow at size.
Guiones is hard work getting out when big. Depending on the swell direction the very South of the beach may be more sheltered and smaller as it's protected by the headland (it was in my case because the swell was from the south).
Gaza is a very sheltered beach. if it's enormous at Guiones it may be working.
very friendly and almost no dropping in. Two locals one day did it constantly but it's their country so I didn't really say anything. They backed off a bit after a while.
Always smile and acknowledge people and the locals as you walk around. it's part of their custom.
restaurants were Rosies for cheap simple local food. El Basicilo for fantastic food a short drive away.
If you want to swim and relax during the day Pelada beach just north of Guiones is v sheltered and no surfers there. Beware big rips though even with no real waves. Is Luna lovely spot for lunch or a drink. Walk through jungle 20 mins from guiones. lovely.
Nosara is the small local village. Surf beach (where all the hostels and bars restaurants etc are based) is Guiones. Stay in Guiones and you don't need a car if you just walk to the beach every day.

Phew that's about it. Hopefully not too much of the above is a repeat on the advice others have very kindly given me. We had a fantastic Time. and my. surfingf improved hugeky.

Oh- and I had a session with Chase. He was brilliant!

* Recent Posts

post Re: Sunova Faast Pro Allwater 14x27
[Classifieds]
gcs
Today at 01:22:14 PM
post Re: SUP Longboard
[Gear Talk]
AndiHL
April 17, 2024, 10:23:58 PM
[Gear Talk]
dietlin
April 17, 2024, 07:54:48 AM
[Gear Talk]
B-Walnut
April 16, 2024, 11:10:15 PM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
finbox
April 16, 2024, 06:05:51 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:33 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:23 PM
[Gear Talk]
Dusk Patrol
April 16, 2024, 11:21:42 AM
[Gear Talk]
firesurf
April 16, 2024, 11:04:18 AM
[SUP General]
SurfKiteSUP
April 16, 2024, 09:48:08 AM
[Gear Talk]
Badger
April 16, 2024, 06:37:12 AM
post Lahonawinds WIND HAWK-Inflatable Wingboard
[Classifieds]
kitesurferro
April 16, 2024, 05:12:26 AM
post SUP Longboard
[Gear Talk]
AndiHL
April 16, 2024, 12:40:25 AM
post SIC Raptor Foil and Board For Sale
[Classifieds]
addapost
April 15, 2024, 04:25:26 PM
[SUP General]
SurfKiteSUP
April 15, 2024, 02:40:38 PM
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal