Author Topic: Injuries from SUP?  (Read 9659 times)

footemaui

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
Re: Injuries from SUP?
« Reply #15 on: October 20, 2007, 05:37:03 PM »
Joint pain?.. Paddle with the body, not the arms...

cammar

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: October 21, 2007, 11:54:00 PM »
Last year I lost the grip of the rail in a really steep section at Lanes and my board hit me in the back... ended up at the emergency room with a bruised kidney.
It could have happened just the same on a regular board, but SUP boards are clearly heavier...

Overall, for my body SUP surfing is a waaaay more gentle workout than regular surfing. Not just quite as fun, though...

Honolii

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 23, 2007, 01:32:59 AM »
Small wave day, trying to make something out of nothing, power stroked to catch a wave, walked up to the nose while stroking hard to get the board into the wave, just when I was on a hard down stroke I stepped right on a non-waxed part of the nose, slip-stepped right off the board, face smacked right into the water.
LOL!
Came right up hearing my surfer friends laughing. I had a good laugh too as I was caught by surprise also.
Only thing hurt was my ego.

Nate Burgoyne

• Sunset Status
  • 100% Pure Stoke!
    • View Profile
    • Stand Up Paddle Surfing Magazine
« Reply #18 on: October 31, 2007, 03:13:20 PM »
Here's a winner....I caught the paddle handle/shaft square in the face. I'm laughing while I type because I keep replaying it over in my mind wishing I had it on video.

I was off stroking into a juicy one a few days ago. At the exact moment that the wave was looming over me and I was really digging deep with my power stroke, the handle slipped out of my top hand and smacked me straight across the face knocking me down. After a grin and a good laugh with myself....I realized I was bleeding. Nothing broken but a nice cut on the bridge of my nose and bruise on the forehead (man, it' still tender). I wish someone was there  to see it!

If you see me in the water...I'm the one with the fancy handle tattoo on the face.
Founder/Editor: Stand Up Paddle Surfing Magazine
Author/Illustrator: The Stand Up Paddle Book
SUP Instructor: Rainbow Watersports Adventures
Web Design/Marketing: Integrity Online Marketing LLC

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 05, 2007, 09:31:54 AM »
Wow, lots of posts. I'm a geezer, so I come into the sport pre-broken, can't get a lot worse (well, maybe). I have had surgeries on both rotator cuffs from rollerblade hockey injuries. The right shoulder got infected with some of that festive mutated staph that hospitals are famous for and nearly caccked me--five more operations to get the guck out and not lose the arm.

When I first started doing standup I spent a lot of time on my knees on a deck pad--wore holes in the skin. Wore pads for a little while but never kneeling is the real cure.

Weekend before last at the Oregon Coast I stepped of the rail on the inside of the bottom turn and managed to whack myself in the goolies with the tail of the board. I laid around in the surf deciding whether I should just drown or not.

More seriously, if something hurts from a repetitive action, change the action a little. I move my hand position on the paddle frequently. Sometimes in downwinders I curve my wrist one way or the other for awhile to change the pressure in the joints and tendons. I also change foot positions and even swap to goofy foot in flatwater to give the hips a rest and strenthen my left side paddling. That and try not to hit yourself with the board or paddle. Especially in tender areas.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

StandUpPaddleSurf.net

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 05, 2007, 02:03:35 PM »
Dude's, in the past week or so I've developed rotator cuff problems.  Now, I'm not super young but I'm not that old so this really is a bummer.  I've been doing the rotator cuff exercises I found online and that helps but I think I've narrowed it down to 2 issues.

Issue 1:  When I paddle a heavier board that has less initial acceleration, it puts a lot more strain on my shoulder joint.  I noticed it after Bagus mentioned that to me.

Issue 2: I guess my paddle stroke was incorrect.  My top arm was doing an outside to inside sweeping movement that is common for paddlers and hard on the rotator cuff.  I need to be conscious of that.  I wish I had pictures or a better explanation of this but I don't.

Resting today as you can see from the time to post stuff.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal