Author Topic: Worst Wipeout Ever In One Foot Surf  (Read 17399 times)

surfercook

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Jersey Shore
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube
    • Email
Re: Worst Wipeout Ever In One Foot Surf
« Reply #15 on: December 19, 2017, 07:13:34 PM »
looks like you kicked your board out front maybe a shallow sandbar butt impact?  Or maybe just trying to get some attention from Alyssa?
Def got a rail in the back..and Alyssa didn't show until I was beached. She is cute though for sure.
One could go into a mall in Kansas and ask a teenager "What is a surfer looking for?, and the answer will always be, "The perfect wave"
9'11" PSH Hull Ripper-145 ltr    
9'3" PSH  Hull Ripper- 130ltr 
8'0" Corevac Assassin -127 ltr   
Paddles- Carbonerro PRO SERIES 85 & Riviera Camo at 70"

Salish Salt

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 19, 2017, 07:56:58 PM »
Concur.  Small day, big board, 10 feet from beach on a 1 ft, last wave of the day. Board jacked up a bit, yawed 30 degrees left, then rolled.  Rail hooked the back of my right knee and pulled it & me towards shore tearing the MCL (all in about 2 seconds).   Years later still not sure if I heard the ligament pop or just felt it pop, but still my worst wipeout ever.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2017, 07:59:01 PM by Salish Salt »

Ichabod Spoonbill

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Hudson Valley, NY
    • View Profile
    • HVH2O
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: December 19, 2017, 08:02:06 PM »
Wow. That's scary.

I've mentioned this before, but my wife cracked her heel in even small stuff. She was on my 9'8" and the water was so shallow it was barely floating. A tiny wave came from behind. It was so small I didn't even mention it to her, but it tossed Kirsten onto the hard sand. Her heel came down hard.

That shallow stuff can be really tricky. Glad you're okay.
Pau Hana 11' Big EZ Ricochet (Beluga)

Zooport

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: December 19, 2017, 09:00:53 PM »
Sorry to hear of the injury.  It's amazing how quickly things can happen.  One moment, everything is fine, the next moment, you are in pain.  I really hate watching myself become more and more fragile.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2017, 09:08:31 PM by Zooport »
8'6 Soul Compass
9'1 Sunova Creek
9'6 WaveStorm SUP
9'8 Starboard Element

LB Surper

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 19, 2017, 10:21:45 PM »
For once in my life I can appreciate my back fat cuz I think it would have protected me in this situation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
NSP DC 14'
Naish Hokua 9'6"
Mistral Diamond Head 8'6"
Naish Glide 14"

SUPcheat

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 19, 2017, 11:53:52 PM »
That was hard to watch, but thanks for sharing to warn about the shallows and shore break.

I slo mo'd it and the part where the board swung to hit you looked like it was blanked out by the white water.

There's a shallow, irregular reefy area around Privates that with side shore rip and low tide swings the board around pretty viciously with white water mushers.  That's what it reminded me of.

I'm glad you are OK, that looked excruciating.
2013 Fanatic Prowave LTD 9'3"x30.5x@134L
Sunova Speeed 8'10"x29.12@131L
Sunova Flow 8'7"x30.25"@121L
Carbon 9.3x32@163L Hammer
Me: 6'1"@230 lbs 68 years old

WhatsSUP

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 20, 2017, 02:42:51 AM »
DAMN......what looked to be a pretty typical wipeout took you out big time!  Hope you heal fast.  I watched the vid when it first posted several times and chalked it up as a freak rear end/lower back bottom hit as it didn't looked like anything super out of the ordinary.  Then I say your post about landing on the rail - ouch!

I got the S knocked out of me two summer ago in conditions not much bigger than your vid but took a shot to the ribs.  A week after that incident I ordered a Patagonia vest (http://www.patagonia.com/product/mens-r1-padded-big-wave-vest/88200.html) and I've worn it every outing since regardless of conditions.  If I'm in the water SUP'ing I'm wearing it.  I suspect it might've helped to lessen your situation - its got fairly decent pads that wrap around the side and back.  Might be something to think about.

Hope you heal up fast!!!!!!
Jimmy Lewis B&B Flat nose 10'1"
Sunova Creek 9'4" 
TAVA 11'2"
NSP Element 11'
KeNalu Wiki paddle
Kialoa Insanity paddle
Misc other paddles

surfinJ

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 20, 2017, 03:02:09 AM »
Woa, that was a scary vid to watch. That’s the little fall beachside of the board with the wave then driving it towards you deal. Glad it turned out ok. I think most of us have had this kind of moment but with the luck of the Irish, nine lives aspect we just get away with it, many times I think in the course of a surfing life.

Although I’ve not had the scare and pain of an internal “feel the blood flowing” -
Yikes! moment like this, I have had the float in to the sand crawl and lay down moment a few times.  Couple of noses and some ribs. It feels terrible to suddenly get knocked down so low ya gotta beg for help. But wonderful feeling of reassurance in the human tribe when it comes.

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #23 on: December 20, 2017, 03:44:48 AM »
Damn! Freaky how the pain comes through in the video.....news at 11:00...man catches his own death on video while surfing. Looked like you might not get up once you were down.
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

PabstSUP

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 20, 2017, 07:11:15 AM »
Yeah - small surf tends to make you less alert. Learned that the hard way after a session of mellow small waves and while cruising in on my last wave I managed to fall clumsily and split my chin open on my board. Given that this happened in the Hamptons, there was of course a plastic surgeon on call at the hospital who had just wrapped up stitching up a female equestrian and he stitched me up so that you can't even tell it ever happened... 
Hobie Raw 8'11
Sunova Flow 8'4"
Sunova Speeed 8'10
SIC Bullet 14' ASS

Beasho

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 20, 2017, 08:09:25 AM »
... I ordered a Patagonia vest (http://www.patagonia.com/product/mens-r1-padded-big-wave-vest/88200.html) and I've worn it every outing since regardless of conditions. 

I clicked on the Patagonia link and saw a classic picture of WADE! knee paddling into a wave at Mavericks.  Too much fun. 

PS:  The vest will float you but I have cracked ribs through my vest.  I always wear a high-school football rib protector UNDER my vest.

surfercook

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Jersey Shore
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: December 20, 2017, 10:01:17 AM »
Thanx to all the round two Zoner guests for watching my video and commenting. All the suggestions, small wave wipeout stories, and sympathy votes are much appreciated during my down time while benched. Too bad I can't cash em in for pain relief! I can't even imagine how long I'm gonna be in dry dock. Last night was a fight between trying to find a comfortable position to sleep in vs gut wrenching agony. The percocets didn't help much. I took three in the course of about 10 hrs. Now in the daylight hrs I am once again abstaining from taking them and icing for 20 mins at a time every hr or so. Just gathering my wetsuit gear to store in my shed after drying them for 24 hrs on the boot tree and Hangair was a challenge.

For once in my life I can appreciate my back fat cuz I think it would have protected me in this situation.
Thanx! That seriously made me lol! But it hurt a bit!  :P

A week after that incident I ordered a Patagonia vest and I've worn it every outing since regardless of conditions.  If I'm in the water SUP'ing I'm wearing it.
Thanx for that link. Sweet impact vest from a solid company. Seriously considering, although it's not recommended for really cold temps. Here in NJ during winter cold water is a way of life.

Freaky how the pain comes through in the video.....news at 11:00...man catches his own death on video while surfing.
Thanx for telling me that. As I posted earlier, I was considering deleting the whole mess from my cam but figured it better to share. Definitely a hard lesson in small wave surfing there. The "News at 11" comment made me lol for real!  ;D

Given that this happened in the Hamptons, there was of course a plastic surgeon on call at the hospital.
lol....foo foo Hamptons hospital...well la de da, Pabst! Would be cool to visit you there for a sesh. Farthest east I ever got on Long Island was Lido.  8)

I clicked on the Patagonia link and saw a classic picture of WADE! knee paddling into a wave at Mavericks. The vest will float you but I have cracked ribs through my vest.  I always wear a high-school football rib protector UNDER my vest.
I couldn't ever imagine being out at Mavs in big/life threatening surf. If I had sustained this injury in even head high conditions my chances for survival would have been much lessened. Rib protector UNDER that impact vest? That's gotta be a bulky feeling and hinder maneuverability somewhat but I'd imagine it would be something one would eventually get used to.

« Last Edit: December 20, 2017, 10:08:38 AM by surfercook »
One could go into a mall in Kansas and ask a teenager "What is a surfer looking for?, and the answer will always be, "The perfect wave"
9'11" PSH Hull Ripper-145 ltr    
9'3" PSH  Hull Ripper- 130ltr 
8'0" Corevac Assassin -127 ltr   
Paddles- Carbonerro PRO SERIES 85 & Riviera Camo at 70"

starman

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 20, 2017, 10:28:18 AM »
I know vests have been discussed for sometime but why doesn't Patagonia (along with just about all the others) provide the buoyancy specs? The vest I bought earlier this year was from ProMotion as they were the ONLY ones providing the amount of buoyancy for their impact vest. Seems like an important number when looking for this type of product. Yes I know it's not a CG approved 15.5 lbs of float but I do want to know how much buoyancy I'm getting when buying one of these vests. Is it a lot or a little or none?

iopsailor

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 20, 2017, 10:31:41 AM »
So was there an Urgent Care or ER on the island or did you have to go to Manahawkin?   

Imagine the beating without your wetsuit!  I’m always kind of glad when it’s chilly enough for a shorty just for the protective layer.

eastbound

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 20, 2017, 12:09:04 PM »
COOKIE!~!!?{++>><)(*&^%%$

damn--glad youre ok!

lotsa water, bran, fresh fruits and veggies with those percocets
they will bind you up badly, if youre not careful---and i dont think you want to be stuck on the throne pushin' at this point!

heal up soon!
Portal Barra 8'4"
Sunova Creek 8'7"
Starboard Pro Blue Carbon  8'10"
KeNalu Mana 82, xTuf, ergoT

* Recent Posts

post Re: Surfboards (Longboards)
[SUP General]
Night Wing
Today at 06:29:07 AM
post Re: Sunova Faast Pro Allwater 14x27
[Classifieds]
gcs
April 18, 2024, 01:22:14 PM
post Re: SUP Longboard
[Gear Talk]
AndiHL
April 17, 2024, 10:23:58 PM
[Gear Talk]
dietlin
April 17, 2024, 07:54:48 AM
[Gear Talk]
B-Walnut
April 16, 2024, 11:10:15 PM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
finbox
April 16, 2024, 06:05:51 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:33 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:23 PM
[Gear Talk]
Dusk Patrol
April 16, 2024, 11:21:42 AM
[Gear Talk]
firesurf
April 16, 2024, 11:04:18 AM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
SurfKiteSUP
April 16, 2024, 09:48:08 AM
[Gear Talk]
Badger
April 16, 2024, 06:37:12 AM
post Lahonawinds WIND HAWK-Inflatable Wingboard
[Classifieds]
kitesurferro
April 16, 2024, 05:12:26 AM
post SUP Longboard