Author Topic: Sample vids of my "Kook Hat Cam" simple to use, simple to make  (Read 14614 times)

supthecreek

Sample vids of my "Kook Hat Cam" simple to use, simple to make
« on: December 15, 2017, 05:37:30 AM »
Folks have asked what I use to shoot my videos.
Here it is.... my "Kook Hat Cam"

Ever since I started reviewing boards in 2012, the challenge was getting useful video, that would show a board in action.
A good write-up is fine.... but a video reveals a lot about the reviewer, which in turn, allows the viewer to adjust what they see, to their own needs.

All the mounts and cameras I tried, had serious shortcomings.

The best of course, is a beach view, but videographers are in short supply in my world....
and my "set and forget it" beach cam was usually filming someone else, or the waves blocked the action..... blah, blah, blah.

So, I came up with the "Kook Hat Cam"
stupid simple to make, and cheap compared to the other video options.

it is always on the job, always aimed in the right place, shooting useful video, to give an interested person a good look at conditions, performance, paddling, float and everything else we SUPster crave to know about any board.

I am very satisfied with the video I get.
The only issue I have is, water drops on the lense..... licking the lense is still the best remedy.

Some of my favorite video, is the stuff I get on a pure glass flat-water session.
Sometimes, I literally go home and watch the entire trip over again because the Cam takes such awesome video.

I use the oldest GoPro Hero "Sessions4".... and I set it on "Superview" so I can see all the action and wave.

Don't waste the money on the remote... I used it once and never again.
So much easier just to tap the single button on the top of the Camera.

Note: one time in DOH waves, the brim got smacked down and hit my nose, so it may be a good idea to cover the bolt head in liquid rubber. I simply sanded mine down, so no sharp edges, but do as you think best.

After I took the "build" pictures, I found a shorter bolt, that worked with only one washer, so less exposure.

I've used it in DOH waves and it has never come off.... and I can't even tell I am wearing it. :)

You could tethered your hat to a "Coach Whistle" lanyard around your neck.
I don't use one, but some may like the added security.

Night Wing

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Piney Woods of Southeast Texas
    • View Profile
Re: Sample vids of my "Kook Hat Cam" simple to use, simple to make
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2017, 06:03:16 AM »
I've always enjoyed watching your videos. And your hat cam is the reason why. Your hat cam gives a better view because you can see every where you look. Easily beats the view from a cam attached to the nose or tail of a board. And your instructions on how to attach the cam to your hat, with all of the little tidbits of information on why you mounted the cam that way, is priceless.

Thanks for sharing this most interesting video.
Blue Planet Duke: 10'5" x 32" x 4.5" @ 190 Liters (2 Dukes)
Sup Sports Hammer: 8'11" x 31" x 4" @ 140 Liters
SUP Sports One World: 11'1" x 30" x 4.5" @ 173 Liters
CJ Nelson Parallax: 9'3" x 23 1/2" x 3 3/16" @ 78.8 Liters (prone surfing longboard; Thunderbolt Technologies build in Red construction)

WhatsSUP

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2017, 06:33:27 AM »
Nicely done Creeker!

Really enjoyed that......the iPhone app appears to be absolutely essential in making sure the angle is set right for filming.  I think this angle is best (short of beach view as you acknowledge) for giving the viewer the best angle for board performance and overall riding.  The one super minor thing I note is that unless your getting a shot of another rider on a wave I don't think it gives a true perspective of wave height...no doubt because the cam is angled slightly down - contrary to the paddle cam I use which makes waves appear a little giggle because the cam tends to be angled below the waist and angled slightly up. 

At the end of the day, I like all video and I just wish there was more (Okay, A LOT more) of it here on the forum. I think there are minor few here who have made comments on vid's as being self indulgent or whatever, but I really thing most...especially noobs like me or those in search of boards or technique enhancement crave and welcome the information - vids
(and hell even pics)  are the best.  We all know the regular SUP surfing vid posters -  STC, Clay, Cookie, surfafrica....I might have missed one or two (sorry).  Here's to more pics and vids on this forum.  I'm calling out all experts and noobs and everyone in between.  Post a pic, make a pic....etc.  Sorry for the slight derail Creek!   SHARE the STOKE!
Jimmy Lewis B&B Flat nose 10'1"
Sunova Creek 9'4" 
TAVA 11'2"
NSP Element 11'
KeNalu Wiki paddle
Kialoa Insanity paddle
Misc other paddles

Wetstuff

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Wetstuff
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2017, 06:42:08 AM »

Ya!  ..clearly Rick—your best edit yet!  ...and as much as 'perfect moves' are enviable, a little crash-n-burn and general fun is always fun to watch.  Excellent.

(adding to WhatSUP  ..typing about same time)

2nd point:  WhytheF is it you are nearly the only one who is regularly adding content to this forum?!  Cook is doing his part with the follow-me-cam, but there's a ton of people including ones who are making money here—doing little more than "Buy my stuff!"  ...not adding any usable, general or instructional content?! 

A couple of years ago, the paddle folks were helping everybody learn; I can't remember the last posting? Some like Colas are obvious by their absence; I can't image he (in France) could affect anybody's business?  Where are the shapers? ...where are the instructors? ...where are the paddle guy again?  ...even the stoopid stand-n-row-me or electric boards?

Rick, we're going have to change your name to Atlas—you'll end up carrying this whole thing if more don't step up.

Jim

Atlantis Mistress .. Blue Planet MultiTasker ..   Atlantis Venom

Green Water Sports

• Site Sponsor
  • Peahi Status
  • https://greenwatersports.com
    • View Profile
    • Green Water Sports - Inflatable SUP boards & stand up paddle boards & more
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2017, 06:58:08 AM »
I was worried about the POV trip to the bathroom...
Julian
https://greenwatersports.com
Green Water Sports LLC - Inflatable SUP boards & stand up paddle boards & more. Call us on 1-888-252-4983
Red Paddle Co, Starboard, SIC Maui, Tahe, Naish, Fanatic, Accent Paddles, Onyx, FCS, Vamo

LBsup

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2017, 07:37:16 AM »
That’s cool.  I do agree it’s hard to tell wave size.  Also, Rick didn’t you buy the SS3?  I’d like to see that too.
Black Project Texcarbon, 85 blade, 69
8’10 Sunova Ghost, 137L

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2017, 08:23:03 AM »
I think GoPro will have to come out with a 'Creek Hat Mount'. I always enjoy your posts Rick. As for my own personal lack of posting, it's just one of those grind stone phases. House, office  and shop are torn apart with a remodel, minor surgery, too much work, and kids. My GoPro is currently in a packing box, buried under about 50 of them, right in the middle of my shaping room. So.... Nada   :'(
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

WhatsSUP

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2017, 12:01:41 PM »
I think GoPro will have to come out with a 'Creek Hat Mount'.

Now that is a great idea!!!!

Calling Nick Woodman......Mr. Woodman to the Idea Service Desk stat!
Jimmy Lewis B&B Flat nose 10'1"
Sunova Creek 9'4" 
TAVA 11'2"
NSP Element 11'
KeNalu Wiki paddle
Kialoa Insanity paddle
Misc other paddles

supthecreek

« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2017, 02:36:50 PM »
Yikes... I've fallen behind  :)
Thanks for all the input!

Thanks Wingman, I am glad you found it helpful, and I always appreciate the kind and supportive replies you give to Zone posts! That is the way it used to be and what drew so many of us into the fold. More on this later  :D

Watz^... yup, gopro's are poor at showing accurate wave size!
But... on to your most excellent point:
IMO, I'd like to see a lot more vids and pictures.

You don't need to be a pro....when I started SUPing, I really learned more from people who shared my struggles.

People have called vid and picture post "shameless self promotion"

I totally disagree, opinions and information are why people come here.... they want to know what others think about a product or technique.

Wettie... the crash and burn was my favorite part to edit... I have so many :)

And thanks, I like making vids and sharing them... I wish more would share their session vids and pics.

Maybe the "Kook Hat Cam" will give new life to filming sessions.... it's stupid simple to make and use.... and the vid is actually fun to watch.

LBsup...
I do have a SS3.... but have refrained from comment, cuz it has no captured one frame of footage in 3 sessions. A ton of effort went into every set-up... and it always filmed someone else ;D

A new GPS tag has been sent... hopefully all the bugs will work out and it will become useful.

Tallguy... find your cam, bolt it on a hat and get on it... I always enjoyed your vids and would love to see more.

All FCS has to do is buy a 1/4" drill and bolt some mounts on their Kook Hats.... insta-mount.

My favorite part of the "kook Hat Cam"????
It leaves my body out of it.
I'm all good with THAT  ;D ;D ;D

NorthJerzSurfer

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2017, 04:17:26 PM »
great post Creek.

After about a dozen outings using the nose mount on my board- the footage generally sucks.

and since my waves are almost exclusively backhand at my break (minus a Nor -Easter)- the paddle mount never looks very good (When I go to Long Island and Its all lefts i have gotten some great shots)

Especially now with hood weather it would be easy to do this with a baseball cap and throw it on under my hood

I have been holding out on doing two board reviews because - while i like reviews that are just Narritive- as mentioned above its really complete with some video. (and i also have no one who would every care to watch me surf and film!)

deepmud

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2017, 04:24:23 PM »
lots of baseball caps with gopro mounts on amazon - but no secure kook-strap like creek's. That's smart.

But the baseball cap works I've been using mine when I get out with my go pro - and mine is the old big-size gopro black, bigger/heavier. I tied my camera wrist float to my cap so if it fell off, it would float.

Beasho

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2017, 05:41:30 PM »
Agreed on the GoPro hat from Amazon.  I just looked and the FCS hat is slightly more.

Creeks hat is so cool I might have to make one.  BUT i do have this hat and it works great, way better than the head-strap that wears out after 6 months (gets all stretched).
« Last Edit: December 15, 2017, 05:53:40 PM by Beasho »

Beasho

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2017, 05:59:54 PM »
Someone convinced me that I should carry a camera at all times.  I looked around and found an old waterproof Olympus and figured "Why Not?"

Then I remembered I had many, many GoPro's lying around.  The reality is that I bring my latest and greatest Hero 5 Session with me all the time, attached to the GoPro Hat aka my most expensive GoPro in what could be catastrophic conditions. 

I get great video, and stills.  However I am hesitant to post all the video because I do not want to regurgitate ever session.  Similar to Creek I film a lot.  Unlike Creek I don't have as much time to edit and I feel guilty just posting raw, unfiltered footage. 

I have found the best compromise is pulling stills from 4K video.  I am filming exclusively in 4K (I think Creek favors 720).  What this means is that the resolution is STUNNING for stills.

In this shot you can actually read "LiftSup" on the handle of the board.  And see the shadow of the hat-cam I am using to film.  1/30th of a second, one frame of video. 
« Last Edit: December 15, 2017, 06:04:40 PM by Beasho »

Beasho

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2017, 06:09:48 PM »
Here is a shot of Creek himself, hat-cam clearly displayed with my daughter mowing down the long boarders.

Beasho

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2017, 09:20:24 AM »
Sick, super deep back-side off the lip from Creek :)
« Last Edit: December 16, 2017, 09:26:35 AM by Beasho »

* Recent Posts

post Re: Surfboards (Longboards)
[SUP General]
Dusk Patrol
Today at 12:51:49 PM
post Re: Surfboards (Longboards)
[SUP General]
Night Wing
Today at 06:29:07 AM
post Re: Sunova Faast Pro Allwater 14x27
[Classifieds]
gcs
April 18, 2024, 01:22:14 PM
post Re: SUP Longboard
[Gear Talk]
AndiHL
April 17, 2024, 10:23:58 PM
[Gear Talk]
dietlin
April 17, 2024, 07:54:48 AM
[Gear Talk]
B-Walnut
April 16, 2024, 11:10:15 PM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
finbox
April 16, 2024, 06:05:51 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:33 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:23 PM
[Gear Talk]
Dusk Patrol
April 16, 2024, 11:21:42 AM
[Gear Talk]
firesurf
April 16, 2024, 11:04:18 AM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
SurfKiteSUP
April 16, 2024, 09:48:08 AM
[Gear Talk]
Badger
April 16, 2024, 06:37:12 AM
post Lahonawinds WIND HAWK-Inflatable Wingboard
[Classifieds]
kitesurferro
April 16, 2024, 05:12:26 AM
post SUP Longboard