Author Topic: Jimmy Lewis Super Frank 7'6 review  (Read 16959 times)

Badger

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Seacoast NH
    • View Profile
Jimmy Lewis Super Frank 7'6 review
« on: December 12, 2017, 03:43:46 AM »
I've had about six sessions on the 7'6 SF and so far I am very happy with it.

I had no opportunity to demo one. I'm the first to order one in NH. My two biggest concerns were stability and volume.

Before this, the smallest board I'd been on was my 110 liter 8'4 x 29" Sunova Flow. The 8'4 Flow surfed great but didn't go well on the small mushy waves that we often have here. It also didn't have the stability I needed for bigger waves and would only work for me on the cleanest days. So after a ton of thinking and research, I traded it in on the Super Frank 7'6 x 31".

The Super Frank is 115 liters. I was worried that having that much volume in such a short board might be too much for my 170 lbs. The moment I got on it alleviated all my concerns. The board was considerably more stable than my 8'4 Flow and the volume, while a bit more than I needed for my weight, didn't feel too floaty or corky at all.

The first day was knee to waist and mushy. I started catching waves right away. I had no trouble adjusting to the shorter length. The first thing I noticed was the speed. It's way faster than my 8'4 in the small stuff. The ability to carry more speed through the waves allows for snappier turns. It also enables you to ride much higher on the wave keeping you ahead of the curl making it much easier to outrun the wave.

Bigger waves were a bit trickier. I had it out on a couple of head high days. Take offs were more challenging because the board just wants to go, kind of like a skateboard on a steep hill. I think it will be fun on bigger days as long as it's clean, but if there is any kind of chop, I would prefer my 8'10 Flow which I keep around just for that reason.

So the Super Frank is an awesome board that makes slow mushy surf into very fun waves. It's fast, stable and maneuverable. It's everything I had hoped it would be.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2017, 03:48:48 AM by Badger »
Kalama E3 6'1 x 23" 105L
Axis HPS 980 / PNG 1300
Sunova Flow  8'10 X 31"  119L
Me - 6'0" - 165lbs - 66yo

Night Wing

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Piney Woods of Southeast Texas
    • View Profile
Re: Jimmy Lewis Super Frank 7'6 review
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2017, 04:00:22 AM »
Nice review. Glad to see you like your new board even and you made a good choice. I am in the same boat as you. Can't demo board since they aren't very many sup dealers in my area. BTW, those waves in the background of the photo, those are some of the same type of waves I have encountered down at Surfside, Texas where I sup surf.

Thanks for sharing your review.
Blue Planet Duke: 10'5" x 32" x 4.5" @ 190 Liters (2 Dukes)
Sup Sports Hammer: 8'11" x 31" x 4" @ 140 Liters
SUP Sports One World: 11'1" x 30" x 4.5" @ 173 Liters
CJ Nelson Parallax: 9'3" x 23 1/2" x 3 3/16" @ 78.8 Liters (prone surfing longboard; Thunderbolt Technologies build in Red construction)

Badger

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Seacoast NH
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2017, 12:40:58 PM »
« Last Edit: December 12, 2017, 12:43:08 PM by Badger »
Kalama E3 6'1 x 23" 105L
Axis HPS 980 / PNG 1300

NorthJerzSurfer

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2017, 04:29:53 PM »
Great Review Badger!   I got to hold and check out two of these boards when i was at 101 Paddlesports out in SF.  Very cool design. like a more refined pocket rocket.  Viewing the sick vids of guys ripping small mushy waves in florida seems like a great quiver weapon.

i have a 9'1 Supertech in carbon- and i've only managed one very small ding- at it only comes out in the juice- these JL boards are constructed great!

I have two small wave mush boards that I dont like independently for different reasons (one has always not been enough volume- the other i have grown to hate the fin placement)

i'd love to see a Super Frank vs Shroom vs Slate vs Hypernut style review.  Small mush wave rippers! to see whats next....  gotta get ready for summer 2018 on the east coast!

Badger

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Seacoast NH
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2017, 07:18:11 PM »
  Viewing the sick vids of guys ripping small mushy waves in florida seems like a great quiver weapon.

Can you share those vids with us? I'd love to see them.

Kalama E3 6'1 x 23" 105L
Axis HPS 980 / PNG 1300

Badger

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Seacoast NH
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2017, 03:37:42 AM »
Thanks nt, that's the best video I've seen of the Frank. I wish there were more.

Kalama E3 6'1 x 23" 105L
Axis HPS 980 / PNG 1300

NorthJerzSurfer

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2017, 03:42:58 AM »
Thanks nt, that's the best video I've seen of the Frank. I wish there were more.

Yep . Exact vid I was talking about

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

APPST_Paddle

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2017, 05:37:11 AM »
Great review - I may end up with one at some point. I'm guessing it's just a better version of my JP Surf Wide 7'4" which I love in small, short period waves.

I will say the few times I've had it out in bigger stuff (chest+) it's a bit tricky to ride because as you said, it wants to go, and it can be difficult to setup a bottom turn quick enough.

I could foresee more of the industry moving to this shape because it allows intermediate riders to get back on the tail properly in less than perfect waves.

7'6" JL Super Frank Lean
8'2" JL SuperTech 
10'1" JL Black and Blue
14' BIC WS Tracer
6'5" JL Flying-V/GoFoil Maliko 200
Kenalu Ho'oloa 95, Werner Rip Stick 79

ninja tuna

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2017, 03:08:30 AM »
Just found another one so i figured i would add it

APPST_Paddle

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2018, 06:08:02 AM »
Quick review on the 7'6" JL Super Frank Lean, I debated back and forth between the Lean and the Regular model, very happy I went with the Lean. I'm 175 lbs and this is the lowest volume board (100L) I've had to date.  I've had this board for 2 months or so now in a variety of conditions, knee high mush, head high hurricane swell, etc.

-Performance:
The main thing with this board is you can ride much shorter than typical with stability to support you. I have absolutely no issues with stability on this board, frankly, I could go a bit thinner overall and lose probably another 5-10L of volume and be fine. The board does not yaw like the JP Surf Wide. I do take waves a bit later than I would on the SuperTech, a few quick paddles and I'm in. It's very lively, and I can get to the tail really easily even on weak waves. On steeper waves, you do have to keep your wits to make sure you don't pearl it based on the rocker (which is obvious based on it's design).

-Build/Quality:
I have not had any issues with rail scrapping on this one, I had issues with the SuperTech, and my Hippostick paddle seems to scrape all my boards eventually (same happened with the F-One board I had). I love the design, and simple color scheme. Fins are solid, I started with a thruster setup but have moved to the quad. My only downside is the pad becomes quite slick, ever since moving to a waxed top, I almost prefer it. It's a bit more work each session to wax, but I know I have stability.

-Who this board is for:
If you are in that 70-80 kg range and fairly experienced, I see no issues with dropping down to the 7'6" Lean, it's great for weaker waves and overall progression as you can get back on the tail so easily and work the board as it's designed for. I will basically ride it in almost all east coast conditions except for when we have overhead hurricane swell with strong offshores, or in pumping Costa Rica surf, etc. when I use my SuperTech.

My quiver is pretty much complete at this point, I may drop down the 8'8" SuperTech to the 7'11" at some point in the future, but.....right now I'm pretty happy with what I have.
7'6" JL Super Frank Lean
8'2" JL SuperTech 
10'1" JL Black and Blue
14' BIC WS Tracer
6'5" JL Flying-V/GoFoil Maliko 200
Kenalu Ho'oloa 95, Werner Rip Stick 79

eastbound

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2018, 07:01:11 AM »
thx ap

great review--i am 6'2" 185, so we are cut similarly--never considered a board this short to be an option (i am 60, so that's where we differ in a big way) but your review impressed me--maybe someday, tho better hurry up given my toe tag is looming!
Portal Barra 8'4"
Sunova Creek 8'7"
Starboard Pro Blue Carbon  8'10"
KeNalu Mana 82, xTuf, ergoT

Badger

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Seacoast NH
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2018, 07:45:41 AM »
I still have the 7'6 Wide and love it. I know a guy with a 7'6 Lean but haven't tried his board yet to compare.

I weigh 170 and just turned 61. I'm happy with the stability of the Wide. I can handle a moderate chop with it but need fairly clean conditions to ride it on bigger days (shoulder high and above).

I'm sure I could ride the Lean but I think I would be limited to surfing it only on very clean days.

Kalama E3 6'1 x 23" 105L
Axis HPS 980 / PNG 1300

LBsup

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2018, 08:28:18 AM »
I have the 8’6 JL SF Wide version, it’s the only board I ride and love it.  I don’t want to go shorter this board paddles great and I like to be able to paddle away from a crowded lineup.  I’d really like to demo the 8’6 Lean.  I’m a couple months away from turning 55, 5’9, 205lbs.  For Northern NJ waves this board is perfect.
Black Project Texcarbon, 85 blade, 69
8’10 Sunova Ghost, 137L

JEG

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2018, 02:03:22 PM »
super frank is a nice board.
what fin setup are you guys using?

* Recent Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal