Author Topic: Bungee Mounts  (Read 3582 times)

Stand Up Pittsburgh

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Bungee Mounts
« on: February 09, 2018, 09:55:04 AM »
I searched the Zone and could find the answer. When attaching the plastic Bungee Mounts on a hard board did you use the glue that comes with it or epoxy? If you used the glue how did it hold up?

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
Re: Bungee Mounts
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2018, 01:32:34 PM »
If you're talking EZ-plugs I've had them pull off using the glue they include.
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2018, 02:23:47 PM »
First I sand the bottom of the EZ plug. Then I mask off the area where I'm going to mount the surface plug (not really a plug) and sand the clear coat / paint off down into the hot-coat. Then I use a high strength 2-part epoxy that's designed for use on plastic and tape it down tight to the surface. I'll let it cure a full 24 hrs then pull all the tape off. Sometimes I have to trim some of the excess epoxy off with a razor, but the mask around the plug makes the finished install clean.
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

Stand Up Pittsburgh

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2018, 06:52:03 AM »
Yes the EZ Plugs. Looks like I will use Epoxy. Thanks

lucabrasi

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2018, 09:11:32 AM »
You might consider these sometime. I did the EZ plugs once. Did these the next time and a few more since. I find them way better than the ez plugs. A few threads kicking around here about mounts. I also just noticed they have a version for inflatables.

http://www.northshoreinc.com/store/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=338&idcategory=93

SG50SUP

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • SUPmission
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2018, 01:33:02 AM »
You might consider these sometime... I find them way better than the ez plugs... I also just noticed they have a version for inflatables.

http://www.northshoreinc.com/store/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=338&idcategory=93

How long have you had these on? It looks like a nice clean solution for my next ultra carry. Got a 130km race in France Dordogne Intégrale and need to take supplements in dry bag.

SUPmission 🤙🏽
SIC RS 14, SIC X-14 Pro Lite, FX-14 Pro, X-12'6 Pro
BlackProject EPIC 95, Tiger Pro v2.0, Maliko Pro Race
Quickblade Trifecta 86, BlackProject HYDRO 83
Vaaká Cadence × Suunto Spartan Ultra × SUPSKIN × RESTUBE

Badger

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Seacoast NH
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2018, 05:19:22 AM »
Plastic is just the wrong material for tie downs to be made of. It doesn't matter what type of glue or epoxy you use, there will always be a chance that they will eventually lose their adhesion.

The NSI tie downs that lucabrasi mentioned are a much better product.

Kalama E3 6'1 x 23" 105L
Axis HPS 980 / PNG 1300
Sunova Flow  8'10 X 31"  119L
Me - 6'0" - 165lbs - 66yo

robon

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2018, 12:38:48 PM »
Agreed ^. NSI are excellent tie downs and don't come off. I have them on one of my boards and I screwed up in applying one tie down patch and an air bubble formed on the edge, but it is still firmly in place after being used on long paddle trips with large loads.

The only good thing about the plastic tie downs is the convenience factor in availability but they are garbage. If you can get them to stay put, you still have these ugly plastic protuberances sticking up that hurt when you step on them and they simply don't work as well. With NSI tie downs, you can either use a strap or a bungee cord, and with a strap, you can really tighten down to secure your load. On longer trips that involve camping, I use straps in combination with bungee cord and your gear isn't going anywhere.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2018, 01:54:05 PM »
I prefer the NSI plugs over anything else. Just make sure you have them where you want them. That VHB adhesive is tough stuff.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

lucabrasi

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2018, 06:03:47 AM »
How long have you had these on? It looks like a nice clean solution for my next ultra carry. Got a 130km race in France Dordogne Intégrale and need to take supplements in dry bag.
SUPmission 🤙🏽
5-6 years is the longest I can track so far. The original board I had these on got ripped off a couple years back and there were no signs of any peel up or anything diminishing at that time which was 5-6 years in. The other boards I have them on are anywhere from 1-6 years in. They really are the best option I have found out there. Can even put them on hugging the rail where the surface is not flat with flawless results.

SG50SUP

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • SUPmission
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2018, 06:28:03 AM »
5-6 years is the longest I can track so far. The original board I had these on got ripped off a couple years back and there were no signs of any peel up or anything diminishing at that time which was 5-6 years in. The other boards I have them on are anywhere from 1-6 years in. They really are the best option I have found out there. Can even put them on hugging the rail where the surface is not flat with flawless results.

5-6 years and curved-rail-mountable sounds pretty good to me!
I"m guess there's variable types of mount adhesive for carbon / fiberglass / inflatable board.
SIC RS 14, SIC X-14 Pro Lite, FX-14 Pro, X-12'6 Pro
BlackProject EPIC 95, Tiger Pro v2.0, Maliko Pro Race
Quickblade Trifecta 86, BlackProject HYDRO 83
Vaaká Cadence × Suunto Spartan Ultra × SUPSKIN × RESTUBE

krash

• Rincon Status
  • Old fugger who loves to fish
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2018, 07:35:08 AM »
First I sand the bottom of the EZ plug. Then I mask off the area where I'm going to mount the surface plug (not really a plug) and sand the clear coat / paint off down into the hot-coat. Then I use a high strength 2-part epoxy that's designed for use on plastic and tape it down tight to the surface. I'll let it cure a full 24 hrs then pull all the tape off. Sometimes I have to trim some of the excess epoxy off with a razor, but the mask around the plug makes the finished install clean.

I also used the EZ Plug on an EPS/Epoxy board.. added 6 of them to my board, used 2ea. on each side of my board to add carry handles, then 2 more that I use as bungie tie-downs for my cooler seat. My SUP, Riviera Voyager, is set up to fish. The carry handles are MPO as I come from the kayak world and it makes it easier for me to handle the board when loading on/off the car-top.

Same/Similar process, used G-Flex Epoxy Adhesive, and I remove the masking tape as soon I have  pressure set the EZ Plug in place, while the epoxy is still pliable for a nice clean install. The plugs are flat and my board has a slight curve where I wanted to install so I used 80 grit sandpaper to do a little custom re-shaping of the EZ-Plug's so the mating surface is the same shape.
I had read that the super-glue type glue may not have been reliable for others in similar applications.

The plugs have been there for well over a year and I don't give it a second thought when grabbing the board by one or both of the carry handles, or when securing the cooler with the bungie cords. Not sure I'd try and turn-buckle or ratchet anything down to them but more of a fear that the epoxy/glass material of the board would rip than the g-flex would fail.

Old fugger who just likes to fish

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal