Author Topic: How well does a Sunova Creek slash? Got vid?  (Read 9001 times)

Zooport

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
How well does a Sunova Creek slash? Got vid?
« on: December 09, 2017, 11:53:39 AM »
Anybody have any vids of a Sunova Creek doing aggressive turns?  I'm on the verge of buying one, but it's tough when there is no opportunity to try one.  I've got much shorter/performance boards but I'm looking at the 9'2 as possibly a board that might be a good wave hog and can still surf aggressively. 

Nobody on this coast has one I could try, right?
« Last Edit: December 09, 2017, 12:51:14 PM by Zooport »
8'6 Soul Compass
9'1 Sunova Creek
9'6 WaveStorm SUP
9'8 Starboard Element

Beasho

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: How well does a Sunova Creek slash? Got vid?
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2017, 01:51:03 PM »
Creek on a Creek

Tom

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2017, 01:53:45 PM »
pm sent

Zooport

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2017, 03:29:53 PM »
pm sent
I didn't get a PM, Tom.  Try again.
8'6 Soul Compass
9'1 Sunova Creek
9'6 WaveStorm SUP
9'8 Starboard Element

supthecreek

« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2017, 03:57:10 PM »
Apologies Zoo... on my next name day, I turn 70, so slashing is no longer in my repertoire  ;)

But, I did get 2 very poor quality clips of James Casey surfing my 9'4 Creek at a Waterman's Weekend we attended in September.

He like it so much, he rode it all weekend, even though he had many smaller board to chose from.     

He immediately picked up a stock 7'7 Creek, in orange tint.
He chose to ride this board in the Australian National Championships and placed 3rd. His best showing ever in the Aussie Titles

Trafford Harris rode his 7'5 Creek to a 5th in over 40, in the same contest.
Traff also has ridden 12' faces on Mentawai Reefs and says it is solid in those waves.

Some pics of James slashing his Creek.
Plus my latest video of a more average hack, riding a big 9'4 Creek.
The 2 clips of James riding my board are in this video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_TKX4sK3AXA

supthecreek

« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2017, 03:58:49 PM »
Trafford Harris in pic #7

Zooport

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2017, 10:54:43 AM »
That's some good slashing, Rick, for a young punk or a guy turning 70. 

With the narrower tail, does it still require the technique of moving your back foot left and right to get it on a rail to get it to turn hard?  Or, if you foot is all the way back, can you slash around with only foot pressure?
8'6 Soul Compass
9'1 Sunova Creek
9'6 WaveStorm SUP
9'8 Starboard Element

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2017, 11:33:32 AM »
I surf like that--in my head. Somehow the camera, and for that matter, the human vision of my friends, doesn't register it. Must be the wide angle lenses.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Zooport

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2017, 11:41:37 AM »
I surf like that--in my head. Somehow the camera, and for that matter, the human vision of my friends, doesn't register it. Must be the wide angle lenses.

LOL, Yes.  I found watching video of myself pretty disappointing.  I'd rather go with your "in my head" surfing too. 
8'6 Soul Compass
9'1 Sunova Creek
9'6 WaveStorm SUP
9'8 Starboard Element

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2017, 12:29:13 PM »
I'd suspect that with that tail you have to move your back foot. I really don't like boards that don't require that--I feel more in control when I move my foot to the rail to turn. I have a pintail 9 footer that is 33" inches wide. spins like a top, whether I want it to or not. If I move my foot to the rail it spins out. I guess I could get used to that, but I like to drive.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

socalgremmy

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2017, 02:15:37 PM »
Hey Mike (Zoo),
Do you mean the 9'1" Creek?
Looks like an awesome board and at 136L you should be hogging waves and tearing it up!
I hope you get it so I can try it out.....
Bob

Zooport

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2017, 05:12:22 PM »
I'd suspect that with that tail you have to move your back foot. I really don't like boards that don't require that--I feel more in control when I move my foot to the rail to turn. I have a pintail 9 footer that is 33" inches wide. spins like a top, whether I want it to or not. If I move my foot to the rail it spins out. I guess I could get used to that, but I like to drive.

Sounds like just what I'm looking for.  Does it catch waves easily?  If so, want to sell it?
8'6 Soul Compass
9'1 Sunova Creek
9'6 WaveStorm SUP
9'8 Starboard Element

supthecreek

« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2017, 07:26:29 PM »
Thanks Zoo! :)

The whole reason for this board was to be able to pump from the middle of the board, and have full on performance with more stability than the Acid.

This board turns extremely easily from the middle.

When I first got it, I took a video of where my feet were on turns.
It's dizzying to watch, because of the angle, but here are some stills to show foot placement in normal turns.

To slash, you need to be on the stomper.... but mostly, the middle is fine.

One of the nicest things about this board is how easy it is to surf.... there are no quirks from my experience, it simply does what you want it to.

They are getting delivered in oz now, so there should be feedback other than mine soon.... I'll link them in to a thread here, when I see them.

supthecreek

« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2017, 07:32:13 PM »
Here's a screen grab from today's session.... front foot on the handle in a hard backside turn.

supthecreek

« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2017, 04:36:31 AM »
Zoo,
here is a Copy/Paste of a review by new owner on Seabreeze.
Yesterday , 10 Dec 2017 4:11PM

Took it out for its maiden surf this morning at Point Addis for 3 hrs.

5'- 6.5' high set waves, reasonably glassy, but lots of water movement past the point and lots of crew in the water... I guess you get that when today was the best surfing day in weeks here and everybody checks swellnet 

I weighed in at 109kg this morning. 9'0" x 30.75" x 129.5L board.
I've been SUP surfing for nearly 2 years, but have prone surfed.

Here are my initial impressions of my Creek:

Float - feet mostly dry, only a tiny bit of water on the deck. About perfect.

Paddling - pretty good considering its volume and rocker, paddles in a straight line easily.

Stability - Easy. Could stand with feet parallel no problem, no need for a staggered stance. Only really started falling in the 3rd hour as I was getting pretty tired...

Wave catching - Dead easy, which surprised me actually, as the nose is much more pulled in than what I was expecting. 

Speed - super fast on take off, just like a Speeed. Goes past sections super easy.

Surfing - High energy performance shape which turns from the middle and really snaps from (near) the tail. Lively.

Comments:
Just like Rick has explained about his foot positioning on his Creek, guys our weight don't need to have their back foot right on the kicker to get it to go. I just simply leaned back and it went and if I wanted to do a quick snap, I put my foot back on the arch bar/kicker and it snapped.

Pretty uncomplicated really. 

What would I change (so far) - I'd go to smaller fins as the 105 sides and 94 centre feel big, although i'll try the centre fin in the forward position first. 

So far i'm happy.

NB / I am a paying customer of Sunova and paid full price for this board. I have 3 Sunova's cos I like the construction, look and the fact that custom is offered easily. I just wish I had a hook up 

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal