Author Topic: Custom SUP Sports "One World"  (Read 31663 times)

Night Wing

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Piney Woods of Southeast Texas
    • View Profile
Re: Custom SUP Sports "One World"
« Reply #90 on: February 15, 2018, 09:35:17 AM »
Thought some of the registered members here on the Zone and maybe some unregistered lurkers might be interested in a little update.

I received my board on Feb 7th. For the past week, it has been cold outside even for southeast Texas standards where I live. High temperatures in the high 30's to low 40's with wind speeds between 17 mph to 21 mph. Factoring in the wind chill and it was a week of "raw" days. Not my cup of tea for outdoor work.

Yesterday, Feb 14th (Valentine's Day), we caught a break. The forecasted high temperature was supposed to reach 70 degrees F. Instead, it reached 79 degrees F. I was giddy with excitement. My garage for the past week week felt like an ice cube. But with the warm weather on Valentine's Day, I decided to install my favorite 5 fin setup (2, 5"), (2, 4") and (1, 2.25") and then weigh my One World.

At WarDog's shop, my One World, without deck pad or any fins installed, weighed 20 lbs, 8 ozs. With the deck pad installed along with my favorite 5 fin setup, my One World weighs in on a digital scale at a sleek and sexy 23 lbs even.

Also, my Blue Planet Sup Grip is perfect for my surgically repaired right shoulder. I can slip my "small" four fingers in the right finger grip slot, curl my fingers around the divider in the middle where my fingers exit on the left grip finger slot without any problems. My right thumb rests on the deck pad when carrying the board.

Just to see how comfortable the BP sup grip handle is and how far I could easily carry my board, I carried the board with all 5 fins attached, down the road for 200 yards one way. Then I stopped for a small rest break. I put the board down on the side of the road where there is grass and after about 3 minutes of rest time, I carried my board back home. My fingers did not get tired like with those single slot grip handles and no problems with my right shoulder.

My surgically repaired right shoulder and fingers absolutely love the BP Sup Grip. If anyone is thinking about a Blue Planet Sup Grip, I recommend it. BTW; when I was carrying my board down the road in my subdivision a truck came by, stopped and the driver leaned out the open window and said to me, "Nice looking ride".  8)  I told the driver, "I like it too".   ;)
Blue Planet Duke: 10'5" x 32" x 4.5" @ 190 Liters (2 Dukes)
Sup Sports Hammer: 8'11" x 31" x 4" @ 140 Liters
SUP Sports One World: 11'1" x 30" x 4.5" @ 173 Liters
CJ Nelson Parallax: 9'3" x 23 1/2" x 3 3/16" @ 78.8 Liters (prone surfing longboard; Thunderbolt Technologies build in Red construction)

Dusk Patrol

• Teahupoo Status
  • PNW
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: February 15, 2018, 04:22:29 PM »
Love the image of you walking around the neighborhood with the new board...
Hope you get it in the water soon.
RS 14x26; JL Destroyers 9'8 & 8'10; BluePlanet 9'4; JL Super Frank 8'6

Night Wing

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: February 16, 2018, 11:24:35 AM »
I recently bought a portable 2 Sup Rack where both of my my sups are stored on their rails. This takes up less space than if they were stored horizontally, deck pad side down.

In the picture below, you can see my new orange colored 11'1" x 30" x 4.5" @ 173 liters "One World" stored in the sup rack along with my seafoam green colored 8'11" x 31" x 4" @ 140 liters "Hammer".

If anyone is wondering why my One World is not centered in the sup rack, it is because I've installed my favorite 5 fin setup (2, 5"), (2, 4") and (1, 2.25" nubster) to the board. This makes the tail end of the board heavier than going towards the nose of the board which is lighter in weight. In other words, I've spread out the 23 lb total weight of the board (as you see it) so it is perfectly balanced in the sup rack.
CJ Nelson Parallax: 9'3" x 23 1/2" x 3 3/16" @ 78.8 Liters (prone surfing longboard; Thunderbolt Technologies build in Red construction)

Night Wing

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: February 20, 2018, 07:06:33 AM »
This post below is for anyone visiting the Surfside, Tx area from out of state or any unregistered lurkers on the Zone site who live in Texas.

The water is warming for both freshwater and saltwater at this time of the year. Since I've got my new 11'1" One World, I've decided my first sup surfing endeavor with it is going to be at Surfside, Tx at Surfside Jetty County Park which by the way opens up at 8:00 am with lots of good vehicle parking. There is even a beach area where you can launch a sup into the Freeport Ship Channel (which is bounded on the east side by the Surfside Jetty and on the west side by the Quintana Jetty).

http://brazoriacountytx.gov/departments/parks-department/surfside-jetty

During the last two weeks, thanks to a week of 80 degree F afternoon temperatures, the water temperature has risen from 49 degrees F to 61 degrees F which is getting close to my 66 degrees F comfort zone. Since Surfside is just a few miles (as the crow flies) from Freeport, Tx; I always check the water temperature for Surfside (Freeport) at the link below.

https://www.nodc.noaa.gov/dsdt/cwtg/wgof.html

I also check the height of the waves for surfing at Surfside at the link below since it has great info.

https://www.windfinder.com/weatherforecast/surfside_beach_freeport

And lucky for me, there is a nice streaming webcam for Surfside which I check everyday. You can control the camera for 60 seconds. There are a few different positions and on those positions, you have pan and tilt controls. Once you have control of the camera, the positions are located in the upper right hand corner of the window.

http://www.saltwater-recon.com/surfside-cam/

I'm going to post two videos below and both videos were taken from drones. BTW, I like to watch these videos in full screen mode.

During the Spring and Fall of the year, we usually get the passages of a Pacific weather front. This has a tendency to lay the water flat inbetween waves and these waves are very good for surfing. They are long horizontally and can stretch for a few hundred yards in width. These waves starts forming at the end of the Surfside Jetty so it is quite easy to get a half mile ride. You can see this in the video below. It is a short 2:07 minute/seconds video. BTW, in this video, there is no music background.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j6INebKU-90

Once we no longer get any Pacific weather fronts which cannot make it to the Gulf coast of Texas anymore (from late May all the way to early to late September or early October), we get our usual prevailing winds from the south or southeast direction coming off the Gulf of Mexico. Depending on the wind speed, the waves are closer together with breaks in them. The higher the wind speed, the bigger the waves.

In the second video below, you'll be able to see that. This video is 2:09 minute/seconds in time. Unfortunately, in my opinion, this second video has a poor music background. Reminded me of a drunken sailor so I muted the sound when I was watching it since I found the music annoying. You can do the same if this "music" gets on your nerves.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v9pD6HID9n4

Zooport

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #94 on: February 20, 2018, 07:58:10 AM »
What month do you expect water temps to rise into the 66 degree zone?
8'6 Soul Compass
9'1 Sunova Creek
9'6 WaveStorm SUP
9'8 Starboard Element

Subber

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: February 20, 2018, 09:56:36 AM »
Nice swells.

Oooohhhheeee....the Foil boys would be drooling over those looong unbroken swells!
Jimmy Lewis Black & Blue Noserider 10'1"x31"x4.25," 164 liters, 24 lbs, 1 box
Pearson Laird Surftech Longboard 10'6"x23"x29.75"x18"x4.375," 154 liters, 24 lbs, 3 boxes
Takayama Ali'i II Surftech 11'x21.375”x28.5”x17.25”x 4.25,” 162 liters, 26 lbs, 3 boxes

Night Wing

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: February 20, 2018, 01:07:41 PM »
What month do you expect water temps to rise into the 66 degree zone?

The normal water temperature for Surfside (Freeport) for the month of March is 65 degrees F. I just checked the water temperature down at Surfside and it is (as I type this ) 62.4 degrees F.

We have two small Pacific weather fronts coming in this week (tonight, Tuesday) and on Sunday. These Pacific weather fronts are mild and are not expected to lower the water temperature too much. If the present weather pattern holds, we could see 66 degrees F water temperature (which holds throughout the night) by the end of the first week in March.

Perfect for sup surfing without a wet suit. Just a long sleeve t-shirt, long pants (I don't want to get sunburned on my legs) and old tennis shoes. (The long pants will also keep me from getting stung by jellyfish and helps prevent skin cancer from too sunburned legs.)

BTW, the 7 day forecast for Surfside, Tx is at the link below.

http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.php?lat=28.9433&lon=-95.2977

Night Wing

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: February 20, 2018, 01:24:06 PM »
Nice swells.

Oooohhhheeee....the Foil boys would be drooling over those looong unbroken swells!

At my 68 years of age and with a cranky lower back which acts up every now and then, I'm not into foiling or shredding of waves. I leave these two types of sup surfing to the "young bucks" who I encounter at Surfside.

And with my 11'1" x 30" x 4.5" @ 173 liters sup, I'm into a "l-o-n-g" leisurely gliding wave ride. This is why I wanted my board to be built with 5 fin boxes. With 5 fin boxes, I should be able to handle any type of wave, from tiny to fairly large with the different fin lengths I chose and fin setup configurations.

My board should be able to handle any wave conditions, within reason, I encounter along the entire Texas gulf coast from Sabine Pass (Tx) on the Louisiana border, all the way down to Brownsville (Tx) on the Mexican border.

Subber

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: February 20, 2018, 01:41:09 PM »
Your new big board should be very good on those waves.

I'd start with small sides and a small trailer (for the lowest drag)
unless you surf a lot of top to bottom.
Jimmy Lewis Black & Blue Noserider 10'1"x31"x4.25," 164 liters, 24 lbs, 1 box
Pearson Laird Surftech Longboard 10'6"x23"x29.75"x18"x4.375," 154 liters, 24 lbs, 3 boxes
Takayama Ali'i II Surftech 11'x21.375”x28.5”x17.25”x 4.25,” 162 liters, 26 lbs, 3 boxes

Night Wing

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: February 20, 2018, 05:12:53 PM »
@ Subber

In the first video where the waves start forming at the end of the jetty and don't break until they're almost to the beach, with the length of my board and with a half mile distance ride, I just might getting a "poor man's downwinder".  ;)

And there are a lot of places to sup surf on the Texas gulf coast which can be found at the link below.

https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?mid=1qr8NOOTArJx7dFAx0RDfSV6Vo1o&gl=us&ie=UTF8&oe=UTF8&t=m&vpsrc=6&source=embed&msa=0&ll=28.485384201417027%2C-96.19083840722658&z=7

This was another reason I switched gears since I was originally going to purchase a 10'6" x 30" Hammer with it's chisel tail in late February of 2017, but my right shoulder started to give me problems which subsequently led to major shoulder surgery on Mar 29th of 2017. This gave me more time to think about another board for all types of water conditions and that is when I started getting interested in the 11'1" x 30" One World with it's pin tail.

Since major shoulder surgery like mine takes a long time to heal and with all the extra time on my hands for research, I finally came to a decision and ordered my One World on Dec 7th of 2017.

Night Wing

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: February 23, 2018, 12:08:27 PM »
I've tried to put as much info as I could into this topic thread and here is a little more info for those interested.

Below are two photos. The first one shows the rocker of my custom built 11'1" x 30" x 4.5" @ 173 liters One World. The second photo show my favorite 5 fin setup.

The fins shown installed on my One World are: (2, 5"), (2, 4"), and (1.2.25" nubster). I don't know how well this 5 fin configuration will work for flat water paddling, but I don't mind if there is some drag. When I flat water paddle, I'm in no hurry to get to my destination.

Normally I would start flat water paddling with a single fin setup; (1, 9") and then switch to a 3 fin (2 + 1) configuration; (2, 5") and (1, 9") but I am going to think outside of the box and start with the 5 fin configuration for flat water paddling first.

I'm thinking either the 5 fin configuration (2, 5"), (2, 4") and (1, 2.25") or the quad 4 fin configuration (2, 5") and (2, 4") will work for sup surfing this long board depending on the height of the waves and the characteristics of the waves.

BTW, you'll have to left click on the photos to enlarge them.

Zooport

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #101 on: February 23, 2018, 03:10:38 PM »
I'll bet it tracks well with that much fin area in back.  Waiting for a ride report. 
8'6 Soul Compass
9'1 Sunova Creek
9'6 WaveStorm SUP
9'8 Starboard Element

Night Wing

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: March 26, 2018, 09:07:10 AM »
I'm a registered member on a kayak fishing site named, the Texas Kayak Fisherman (TKF) site. On the TKF site, there is an Off Topic forum. In that forum there is a topic titled, "What did you get for Christmas/Chanukah/Yule/Kwanza?" I had posted a message in this topic about my (Sup Sports) One World 11'1" x 30" x 4.5" @ 173 liters sup.

A female member on the TKF site saw my post in that topic thread. She has been doing research on standup paddle boards and eventually came to the Zoner site. She, as a lurker here on the Zoner site, saw my post and recognized my user name and barn owl avatar since I use the same user name and barn owl avatar for both the Zoner and TKF sites.

She went back to the TKF site and sent me a private message. In the private message, she told me she is 5'7" tall and weighs 133 lbs. She, like me, has a small frame skeletal wise and she already knew I weigh 145 lbs as of this posting. She asked me if I could post a few photos showing my hand size wise in relation to the Blue Planet Sup Grip. I told her I would be glad to help her and I would post them in this topic thread on the Zoner site.

In the first photo; going from left to right, it shows the Blue Planet Sup Grip with a quarter coin (for scale) to the right of the grip and to the right of the quarter coin is my right hand. My middle finger is my longest length finger and it is 3" in length. This is why I put a quarter coin into the photo.

The second photo shows how my right hand wraps completely around the middle divider, like a fist, between the two finger slots. But you can't see my fingers in this photo.

In the third photo, you can actually see my fingers from the way I positioned my hand where one can see my fingers. BTW, since I can't preview the photos before I submit them, if the photos show up and I think they will, you might have to left click to enlarge them since all of the three photos are 900 pixels in width.

On a personal note, to my TKF and lurker Zoner friend, I hope these photos help you in your research.

southwesterly

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: March 26, 2018, 10:34:48 AM »
 How does your new board differ in small waves compared to the Hammer?

Night Wing

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: March 26, 2018, 11:32:22 AM »
@ southwesterly

I haven't ridden my One World yet. You know how I hate cold water. Water temperature of 66 degrees F and above is my preferred comfort zone.

The subdivision I live in has "two" private lakes in it. A small lake and a much larger big lake. The water temperature in the smaller lake is 68 degrees F and the larger lake, the one I flat water paddle on, is at 65 degrees F right now.

The smaller lake heats up faster because it is a small lake and it is shallow. The only problems with the smaller lake, the deepest part of it is only 5' deep and it has has a lot of submerged tree stumps when the lake was built. Common sense tells me that sup fins don't do well if they hit a submerged and unseen tree stump.

Last week's cold front knocked the larger lake's water temperature down from 65 degrees to 61 degrees because we had three straight mornings of 39 degrees, 41 degrees and 46 degrees. The larger lake has taken almost a week to get back to 65 degrees.

The larger lake heats up slower because it is larger and it is 16' deep at the deepest part of it. The only known obstruction in it are old abandoned pier pilings where there was once a fishing pier. These old pier pilings are just under the surface about 5" right now and they can't be seen because the water clarity of the larger lake is not clear. I stay away from that area when I flat water paddle there.

We have a mild weather front coming in this Tuesday night. But it isn't going to knock down the water temperature much since the lowest morning temperatures will only be 53 degrees with the afternoon temperatures rebounding back to around 77 degrees.

Today's (Monday) high temperature is going to be 85 degrees and Tuesday's high temperature (tomorrow) will be 83 degrees. I expect the water temperature in the larger lake I always paddle to be at 66 degrees by Tuesday afternoon.

My plan is to flat water my new One World in the larger lake tomorrow afternoon (Tuesday) so I can get used to it. I want to flat water paddle it to test out three different fin configurations. When the weather front arrives in force on Wednesday, we have a very good chance of severe weather with rainfall totals for Wednesday and Thursday of this week between 2" to 4" in total. There is a chance of hail and tornadoes too. Friday is supposed to be sunny.

Down at the coast, the beach water temperature is already at 69 degrees F. Good for me, but I want to flat water paddle my OW first because down at the coast it is quite windy with wind speeds of 20 mph and above. The water looks like a washing machine with large whitecaps down at Surfside, Tx near the Surfside Jetty. Once you have control of the Surfside Beach webcam, position the camera to where it looks at the Surfside Jetty Base and you'll see what I mean.

http://www.saltwater-recon.com/surfside-cam/

My plan for next week (Apr 2nd-6th) is to take my OW down to the upper Texas coast. But I will have to make two stops first. One stop in La Marque (Tx) and the next stop at Galveston (Tx) to pick up two beach parking permits since in Texas we are allowed to park right on the beach just above the high tide line.

https://www.crystalbeach.com/BeachSticker/parkingCB.htm

https://www.galvestonparkboard.org/207/Beach-Passes

I will type a test ride report Tuesday night (Mar 27th) in the Gear Talk forum.

« Last Edit: March 26, 2018, 11:35:45 AM by Night Wing »

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal