Author Topic: Custom SUP Sports "One World"  (Read 31857 times)

Night Wing

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Piney Woods of Southeast Texas
    • View Profile
Re: Custom SUP Sports "One World"
« Reply #45 on: January 26, 2018, 03:55:02 AM »
Living in Florida I get the heat concern, but while I have seen improperly preped boxes delaminates, a properly installed box set in high density closed cell PVC foam like your new board should not suffer any such issue, regardless of color. I always use black boxes when building my boards and never had a problem.

Your comments are making me feel better. And I hope you're right. Once I leave the Zoner site, I'll drop WarDog an email to his business and get his thoughts.
Blue Planet Duke: 10'5" x 32" x 4.5" @ 190 Liters (2 Dukes)
Sup Sports Hammer: 8'11" x 31" x 4" @ 140 Liters
SUP Sports One World: 11'1" x 30" x 4.5" @ 173 Liters
CJ Nelson Parallax: 9'3" x 23 1/2" x 3 3/16" @ 78.8 Liters (prone surfing longboard; Thunderbolt Technologies build in Red construction)

southwesterly

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 26, 2018, 05:22:47 AM »
@ southwesterly

3) Instead of a topless board bag, a regular board bag. Why? With a standard board bag, I can store the board in the bag with all 5 fins attached if I'm using this fin setup. Then I can tie the bag to my roof racks on the cab of my truck when traveling. All I would have to do is make sure the board bag is not zipped all the way shut. Just leave plenty of opening for air to circulate inside the bag and this should not cause any delamination problems to the encased board because of the extreme heat where I live.

With a topless board bag, I'm going to have to remove at least 4 fins (or all 5 fins if I'm sup surfing this fin setup). With a standard board bag, I just have to find one large enough to fit an 11'1" x 30" sup board with all 5 fins attached.

With a topless bag you don't have to remove any fins. The bag stretches over all of them. It also keeps the board cooler than a regular bag.

IMHO you're over thinking a fix to something that isn't a problem.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2018, 05:25:38 AM by southwesterly »

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #47 on: January 26, 2018, 06:28:19 AM »
I use black boxes exclusively in Florida. Leave them black. You’re being silly frankly.

paddlejones

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 26, 2018, 07:07:02 AM »
+1 SW... TLBB is stretchy & way cooler

supdiscobay

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #49 on: January 26, 2018, 08:14:18 AM »
You’re being silly frankly.

I agree!
Its a beautiful board, just enjoy it!
8'5" Starboard Pocket Rocket, 8'0" Kazuma Fugu custom,  8'10" Kings Sidewinder, 10' Starboard Noserider, 14' BARK Carbon Dominator, SIC F16 V3, KeNalu and Quickblade paddles, 19' Eaton Prone, 67" Goode 9700

SUP Sports ®

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Stoked For Life ®
    • View Profile
    • SUP Sports ®
    • Email
« Reply #50 on: January 26, 2018, 08:22:23 AM »
Aloha Night Wing,
So, as soon as I turned the board over to photograph the bottom, I realized that the glass shop had gone off script and changed the recipe that was called out for fin box color on my graphical mock up that they had...not exactly what you wanted and what I had specified...but, aesthetically, it looked very good to all of us...

Since building boards is a mixture of art and engineering...and, on a board with this much non-white surface area...I can see how concern for the possibility of added heat absorption from black fin boxes vs. white fin boxes was kinda sub-consciously over-ruled by artistic license...especially, since the mock up also called out for our smaller white handle to be replaced with a black handle with twice the surface area...surrounded by a black deck pad...etc...

Scientifically, we know that plastic is a thermal insulator...unless, they are engineered to conduct heat...which is not the case here...so, I would say that any added heat would be negligible...fact is, we would build a new board before doing a R&R on the existing boxes...

Additionally, even though we have installed two vents on your board, I would still minimize it's UV exposure by keeping it in a light colored board bag or cover as others have suggested...and, always store it in a cool place...

That all said, we have intentionally painted over fin box flanges before...and, can do that in this case if you want it done...

Ironically, in the same build batch as your board...we just finished a custom 8'2" WD Gyro for a client in Los Angeles...not exactly a cool and low UV area...who insisted on black rails and boxes...go figure...;-)
Mahalos...{:~)

WARDOG ®
Owner/CEO  StandUp Paddle Sports®  &   SurfingSports®.com, Inc.

(805)962-SUPS (7877) store
(888)805-9978 toll free

Retail Store:
Standup Paddle Sports, LLC
121 Santa Barbara St.
Santa Barbara, CA 93101

Night Wing

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 26, 2018, 07:03:51 PM »
@ WarDog

Thanks for the long phone call this morning. I understood the reason of what happened and why. And I'm glad I will be using this board with the black fin boxes.

Looking forward to seeing her photo with her black deck pad and kicker pad installed. Again, thanks for the phone call. It was much appreciated by me.
CJ Nelson Parallax: 9'3" x 23 1/2" x 3 3/16" @ 78.8 Liters (prone surfing longboard; Thunderbolt Technologies build in Red construction)

Night Wing

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 26, 2018, 07:13:38 PM »
With a topless bag you don't have to remove any fins. The bag stretches over all of them. It also keeps the board cooler than a regular bag.

IMHO you're over thinking a fix to something that isn't a problem.

I've been known to over think things many times during my lifetime.

The board bag might be over thinking, but a board bag offers better protection for the board than a topless board bag would if and when I stay overnight (or a few overnights) when I bring the board in the bottom floor of a hotel/motel room. In other words, it'll keep the dings down from coming into contact from the objects in a hotel/motel room.

In retrospect, now that I think about it, besides a board bag, maybe later on, I'll get a topless board bag also. With this dual combo, I can have the best of both worlds.

SUP Sports ®

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Stoked For Life ®
    • View Profile
    • SUP Sports ®
    • Email
« Reply #53 on: January 27, 2018, 03:03:34 PM »
Aloha Night Wing,
Nice chatting with you again yesterday...

Here's a few more pics...vertical 4 panel profile...and, those white vents that go in the black vent sockets...etc...

Also, we had a reflective board bag in stock that fits like a glove with the fins in...so, we'll work on the pad and getting her boxed up for shipment to Texas...

WARDOG ®

(888)805-9978 toll free

Retail Store:
121 Santa Barbara St.
Santa Barbara, CA 93101

Night Wing

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: January 27, 2018, 05:16:20 PM »
@ WarDog

She looks real sleek and with her long 11'1" length and 30" width, I imagine she'll paddle real stealthy up in the far reaches of Caney Creek on Lake Conroe. And if I'm lucky, I just might get a glimpse of a 13' long (or longer) bull gator who the locals have affectionately named, "Amos Moses", sunning himself on a sandy bank. Since Amos probably weighs around 1000 lbs, he's a grumpy old codger of at least 70 years of age or older.

Good to see you found a nice board bag where my One World fits like a glove inside with 5 fins (2, 5"), (2, 4") and (1, 2.25") attached. Perfect for a 250 mile one way ride for me to Port Aransas. And she won't get damaged when I bring her into a small room on the bottom floor of a motel/hotel for one night (or two).

Looks like the phone conversation we had on Friday morning was good for me as well as for you since I decided to add at the last moment a board bag. You know the old adage, "Good things come to those who wait". I could change that to, "Good things come to those who........have patience".  ;)

I still owe you for the shipping and now the added board bag. When she is ready to be shipped, have someone from your shop call me up if you need my credit card info since I do not know how long you keep the credit card info on file. If I'm not at home, my phone answering machine will pick up after the 5th ring. And I'll call your shop with the credit card info they'll need as soon as I return home.

Night Wing

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: January 31, 2018, 11:08:16 AM »
 A little update.

The only thing left to install on my board is the Rail Pro tape and attach the deck pad. And I just got off the phone with Nick (at SUP Sports) where I paid off my remaining balance on the board.

SUP Sports ®

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Stoked For Life ®
    • View Profile
    • SUP Sports ®
    • Email
« Reply #56 on: February 02, 2018, 09:51:11 AM »
Here's a pic of Night Wing's One World prior to boxing...

WARDOG ®

(888)805-9978 toll free

Retail Store:
121 Santa Barbara St.
Santa Barbara, CA 93101

Night Wing

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: February 02, 2018, 11:45:34 AM »
@ WarDog

She looks great. I know when I take her down for a little sup surfing at Surfside, Tx, with her good looks, when she makes her appearance, she'll turn a few heads from the prone surfers.

SUP Sports ®

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Stoked For Life ®
    • View Profile
    • SUP Sports ®
    • Email
« Reply #58 on: February 02, 2018, 05:19:03 PM »
@ WarDog

She looks great. I know when I take her down for a little sup surfing at Surfside, Tx, with her good looks, when she makes her appearance, she'll turn a few heads from the prone surfers.

Aloha Night Wing,
The eagle has left the nest...and, she's on her way to Houston...definitely an eye popper...

I hope that you can keep the new board anxiety in check...sleep well...;-)

WARDOG ®

(888)805-9978 toll free

Retail Store:
121 Santa Barbara St.
Santa Barbara, CA 93101

Night Wing

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: February 02, 2018, 07:00:18 PM »
@ WarDog

Since you went with a different shipping company; I've received your emails containing the shipping company's name, it's terminal address and my favorite detail. The phone number to the shipping terminal.  ;D  "You" know how I like phone numbers.  ;)  I've already scoped out the company's address with pictures of the place too courtesy of Google Maps so I already know where I'm going when the board arrives. And the shipping company has already given me a tracking number for the board. Like you said, the "eagle" has left the nest and is in flight.  :)

As of this posting, the board's ETA is for this upcoming Wednesday, Feb 7th. I'll call ahead on Tuesday and hope they'll let me open the shipping box at the terminal to examine the board (in detaill) and hope she didn't get damaged in shipping. I know the board is well packed from looking at the shipping label which states the shipping box weighs 99 lbs.

Since the weekend is now upon us, this Saturday and Sunday will fly by for me time wise. Saturday I'll start watching college basketball games from 11:00 am until the last college basketball game ends at 12:30 am Sunday morning. Then late Sunday afternoon, my wife and I are giving a little Super Bowl party at our home for all of the pro football fans who live near us. Plenty of good food, beverages and good company to watch the Super Bowl with.

I'll start getting "new board antsy" when Monday arrives.  ;D

* Recent Posts

post Re: Sunova Ghost 8'10 SUP
[Classifieds]
kliss99
Today at 05:01:39 AM
post Re: Need a new Impact Vest
[Wingsurfing, Windfoiling, Wingfoiling, Wing SUP]
PonoBill
April 23, 2024, 07:55:28 PM
B-Walnut
April 23, 2024, 07:26:43 PM
spindrift
April 23, 2024, 07:16:46 PM
B-Walnut
April 23, 2024, 06:56:28 PM
post Need a new Impact Vest
spindrift
April 23, 2024, 06:36:51 PM
post Re: Ocean Rodeo Glide-Allula
kiteboarder
April 23, 2024, 06:06:50 PM
B-Walnut
April 23, 2024, 04:22:52 PM
kiteboarder
April 23, 2024, 03:07:49 PM
B-Walnut
April 23, 2024, 02:59:32 PM
Dwight (DW)
April 23, 2024, 02:41:07 PM
post Re: Erik Antonson interview with Stacy Peralta
[Random]
surfinJ
April 23, 2024, 01:34:42 PM
post Fanatic 8.3 Allwave
[Classifieds]
firesurf
April 23, 2024, 01:28:40 PM
B-Walnut
April 23, 2024, 01:24:35 PM
post Re: At what age did you, or do you plan to retire?
[Random]
surfinJ
April 23, 2024, 01:24:13 PM
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal