Author Topic: Custom SUP Sports "One World"  (Read 31800 times)

SUP Sports ®

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Stoked For Life ®
    • View Profile
    • SUP Sports ®
    • Email
Re: Custom SUP Sports "One World"
« Reply #30 on: January 14, 2018, 04:17:16 PM »
So, I have always been partial to the more natural feel and flex characteristics of boards with stringers...some stringerless boards that I have ridden feel like you are surfing a ping pong ball...no chop attenuation...etc...additionally, they help maintain the true shape of the board during the lamination process...unglassed stringerless boards have a tendency to twist and have rockers that aren't true...necessitating getting them immediately onto a rocker table...etc...

I've seen plenty of snapped in half stringerless boards in my days...the bottom line is that H20 weighs 8#/gal...being in the wrong place at the right time...right place at the wrong time...too many times...with a thick top to bottom wave moving up speed and jacking up and sucking out, will eventually snap a board if it's karate chopped...stringer(s) or not...

Bennett rode a production 11'1" x 30" One World at this reef break in these pics and was the only rider to not snap a board...this particular board is still in or demo fleet...hundreds of people have rented it...

Night Wing is getting a board that is built even stronger...I think that he can have total confidence that his board will survive Gulf Coast conditions...all the way up to any 20+ foot macking waves that he has the courage to paddle out in...;-)
Mahalos...{:~)

WARDOG ®
Owner/CEO  StandUp Paddle Sports®  &   SurfingSports®.com, Inc.

(805)962-SUPS (7877) store
(888)805-9978 toll free

Retail Store:
Standup Paddle Sports, LLC
121 Santa Barbara St.
Santa Barbara, CA 93101

Night Wing

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Piney Woods of Southeast Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 14, 2018, 09:07:26 PM »
@ WarDog

I really like the orange color I chose for my OW or I should say, the color you suggested after I mentioned I wanted an orange color for the bottom and rails.

As for the strength versus waves scenarios, the chances of me sup surfing 8'-10' tall waves on the upper Texas coast are....slim and none. These height waves (or higher) are usually produced by tropical depressions, storms or hurricanes which every now and then hit the upper Texas coast (hurricanes Ike in 2008 and Harvey in 2017). Waist high up to 7' is what I can usually expect for our upper Texas gulf coast waves.

As an example, we have another arctic blast headed our way this upcoming Tuesday (Jan 16th). Might even get a little snow out of it. Anyway, you can see the surf forecast for Surfise for this upcoming Tuesday in the link below. Once on the page, scroll on down to Tuesday's forecast.

https://www.windfinder.com/weatherforecast/surfside_beach_freeport
Blue Planet Duke: 10'5" x 32" x 4.5" @ 190 Liters (2 Dukes)
Sup Sports Hammer: 8'11" x 31" x 4" @ 140 Liters
SUP Sports One World: 11'1" x 30" x 4.5" @ 173 Liters
CJ Nelson Parallax: 9'3" x 23 1/2" x 3 3/16" @ 78.8 Liters (prone surfing longboard; Thunderbolt Technologies build in Red construction)

SUP Sports ®

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Stoked For Life ®
    • View Profile
    • SUP Sports ®
    • Email
« Reply #32 on: January 17, 2018, 08:14:50 AM »
Aloha NW,
Hope this pic warms you up a bit and gives you something nice to look forwards to...;-)

Your board with the blonde bamboo deck is in the vacuum bag...

WARDOG ®

(888)805-9978 toll free

Retail Store:
121 Santa Barbara St.
Santa Barbara, CA 93101

Night Wing

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 17, 2018, 02:01:39 PM »
@ WarDog

After a 16 degrees F morning, seeing the picture of my board in it's vacuum bag really warmed me up.  ;)  Looks like things are progressing nicely.

Not only am I looking forward to going out to the FedEx facility on Jackrabbit Rd when my finished board arrives to get her, I'm also looking forward to when the beach water temperature reaches 66 degrees F (and holds it) which is my comfort zone for paddling in shorts and a long sleeve shirt so I can "indulge myself" in a small coastal cruise.  :)  This should occur in the last week of March or in the first week in April.

As the old adage goes, "Good things come to those who wait patiently".  8)  BTW, nice to see my board made it into your January blog.
CJ Nelson Parallax: 9'3" x 23 1/2" x 3 3/16" @ 78.8 Liters (prone surfing longboard; Thunderbolt Technologies build in Red construction)

SUP Sports ®

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Stoked For Life ®
    • View Profile
    • SUP Sports ®
    • Email
« Reply #34 on: January 19, 2018, 12:19:17 PM »
Aloha NW,
Your One World is out of the vacuum bag and now has the BP SUP Grip installed...

WARDOG ®

(888)805-9978 toll free

Retail Store:
121 Santa Barbara St.
Santa Barbara, CA 93101

Night Wing

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 19, 2018, 01:17:57 PM »
@ WarDog

The BP SUP Grip does look good. I know my fingers are really going to like this grip since they won't get tired if I have to carry the board a long distance. And with each photo, the board is really coming along.

Thanks for all of the photos. They are much appreciated by me.  :)

SUP Sports ®

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Stoked For Life ®
    • View Profile
    • SUP Sports ®
    • Email
« Reply #36 on: January 24, 2018, 09:54:24 AM »
Aloha Night Wing,
Your custom One World is coming down the home stretch...only a matter of a few days...

I hope "new board anxiety" doesn't keep you awake at night...it still does me, even after 4 decades of acquiring custom boards...;-)
« Last Edit: January 24, 2018, 10:35:42 AM by SUP Sports ® »

WARDOG ®

(888)805-9978 toll free

Retail Store:
121 Santa Barbara St.
Santa Barbara, CA 93101

Night Wing

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 24, 2018, 12:15:08 PM »
@ WarDog

She's looking real good to me. :)  And she'll look even better when she gets her black deck pad with kicker at the tail end of the board. ;)  I won't get "new board anxiety" until the day I get the call from you or someone at your shop saying she's being shipped. If she ships on a Monday, I'll get her on Friday of the same week.

But, I must admit I start getting the "heebie jeebies" when I come to the Zone site and see the Gear Talk forum with the orange colored button with the word "New" in it after the "SUP Gear Reviews / Newly Acquired / On Order" child boards. ;D  And if I'm real lucky, I get to see the orange colored button again with the word "New" in it after the Custom SUP Sports "One World" topic.   ;)

I like clicking on this topic thread.  ;)
« Last Edit: January 24, 2018, 12:28:50 PM by Night Wing »

SUP Sports ®

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Stoked For Life ®
    • View Profile
    • SUP Sports ®
    • Email
« Reply #38 on: January 25, 2018, 04:59:49 PM »
Aloha Night Wing,
Your lightweight American made, vacuum bagged, bamboo Ballis-Tech ECOBOARD One World was delivered to the shop today...

You'll be stoked to know that it is a light, tight, bright, & built right 20.5# naked...

It was too windy to do our normal vertical profile 4 panel shots outside the shop today...so, I've attached some pics on the racks in our showroom...

Also, a couple of shots with our double sided bamboo honeycomb sidebiters in with my 2.25" StubNub...

We'll get the pad on and get her packed up this weekend for shipment on Monday...

WARDOG ®

(888)805-9978 toll free

Retail Store:
121 Santa Barbara St.
Santa Barbara, CA 93101

Night Wing

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 25, 2018, 06:43:28 PM »
@ WarDog

You know I've got an eye for details. With that said, I hope you're sitting down when you read this post and maybe afterward, a good stiff drink may be in order for yourself.

Whoever the person who installed the 5 fin boxes, the individual was not looking at the mockup illustration or reading what was labeled to the right of the mock up illustration. In the photos of the finished board, the 5 fin boxes are "black" in color. In short, the person installed the wrong color fin boxes.

We agreed via a phone conversation the 5 fin boxes are were to be WHITE in color. If you go back in this thread to "Reply #20", you'll see the mock up illustration showing the 5 WHITE fin boxes and they are labeled WHITE to the right of the board's mock up.

I'm sorry if I created a headache for you at the end of this build since the simple mistake was done by someone else.

BTW, when things are hectic (fires, mudslides), mistakes can and do happen. I understand that. You've got my home phone number and I think a little "one on one" chit chat is appropriate. Hopefully, this can be easily corrected, but I have a feeling Murphy's Law is going to come into play.

Dusk Patrol

• Teahupoo Status
  • PNW
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 25, 2018, 07:21:05 PM »
This is not a comment on your transaction at all, but those black fin boxes look frickin awesome. Consider. Maybe it’s a fortuitous accident.
RS 14x26; JL Destroyers 9'8 & 8'10; BluePlanet 9'4; JL Super Frank 8'6

Night Wing

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 25, 2018, 08:13:17 PM »
@ Dusk Patrol

I chose the white color not for "vanity's" sake. Where I live in Texas, it is extremely hot in the months of July and August. In these months, the air temperature combined with the humidity gives us everyday heat index temperatures between 108-115 degrees F.

Black color absorbs heat much faster than white color and if I want to take the board down to Port Aransas which is a 250 mile one way drive from my home; if the board is tied down bottom side up facing the hot sun, I'm concerned driving that long distance, the black fin boxes might get extremely hot where they expand enough to cause delamination around the installed fin boxes.

This is why I need to talk with WarDog. Besides the fin boxes, there are two other hiccups I noticed too, but I can live with those two other hiccups. I think I've got an easy fix for the fin boxes but I need to talk with WD. The easy fix won't look nice, but I think it is doable.

BTW, I agree the black fin boxes do look "frickin awesome".

southwesterly

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 25, 2018, 08:46:19 PM »
@ Dusk Patrol

I chose the white color not for "vanity's" sake. Where I live in Texas, it is extremely hot in the months of July and August. In these months, the air temperature combined with the humidity gives us everyday heat index temperatures between 108-115 degrees F.

Black color absorbs heat much faster than white color and if I want to take the board down to Port Aransas which is a 250 mile one way drive from my home; if the board is tied down bottom side up facing the hot sun, I'm concerned driving that long distance, the black fin boxes might get extremely hot where they expand enough to cause delamination around the installed fin boxes.

This is why I need to talk with WarDog. Besides the fin boxes, there are two other hiccups I noticed too, but I can live with those two other hiccups. I think I've got an easy fix for the fin boxes but I need to talk with WD. The easy fix won't look nice, but I think it is doable.

BTW, I agree the black fin boxes do look "frickin awesome".

Night Wing, piece of cake. Just get one of these. I have one and it's so much easier that a full board bag. It keeps the UV rays and heat off the bottom of your board while it's on the car.

They make a bunch of different sizes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=elMsT5G6ciM
« Last Edit: January 25, 2018, 09:09:51 PM by southwesterly »

SUPflorida

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #43 on: January 25, 2018, 09:30:12 PM »
Don’t know if the plastic composition has improved significantly in fin boxes, but going back all the way to the late 60’s it was a standard warning not to use white fin boxes, as whatever materials were added or deleted to get the white color weakened the overall strength. Supposedly the black color allowed a stronger material.

Maybe fiction but I have to say over the course of 1/2 century of surfing & 30 years of windsurfing my personal observation supports the white boxes having a higher failure rate. Even more so in windsurfing where aerials pushed up the punishment level an order of magnitude. So you may want to rethink your situation with the black boxes. This perceived mistake may have worked in your favor.

Living in Florida I get the heat concern, but while I have seen improperly preped boxes delaminates, a properly installed box set in high density closed cell PVC foam like your new board should not suffer any such issue, regardless of color. I always use black boxes when building my boards and never had a problem.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2018, 09:42:10 PM by SUPflorida »

Night Wing

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 26, 2018, 03:50:54 AM »
@ southwesterly

Now that I've had a good night's sleep , well not that good, there are four fixes. Three of the fixes are easy. The fourth fix is not easy and it will be a messy headache.

Here are the 4 fixes:

1) Take the board as is. The easiest fix of them all.

2) Paint over the flat surfaces of the fin boxes without getting any paint on the inside of the fin boxes and no paint where where the fins are screwed in. Again a pretty easy fix and the paint would be orange like the rest of the bottom side of the board.

3) Instead of a topless board bag, a regular board bag. Why? With a standard board bag, I can store the board in the bag with all 5 fins attached if I'm using this fin setup. Then I can tie the bag to my roof racks on the cab of my truck when traveling. All I would have to do is make sure the board bag is not zipped all the way shut. Just leave plenty of opening for air to circulate inside the bag and this should not cause any delamination problems to the encased board because of the extreme heat where I live.

With a topless board bag, I'm going to have to remove at least 4 fins (or all 5 fins if I'm sup surfing this fin setup). With a standard board bag, I just have to find one large enough to fit an 11'1" x 30" sup board with all 5 fins attached.

4). Replace the black fin boxes with white fin boxes. This is the absolute worst case scenario and and the most extreme fix. A nightmare headache for sure.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal