Author Topic: Custom SUP Sports "One World"  (Read 31666 times)

Badger

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Seacoast NH
    • View Profile
Re: Custom SUP Sports "One World"
« Reply #105 on: March 26, 2018, 03:44:01 PM »
NW, you crack me up with your single digit water temperature fears.  You remind me of Sheldon Cooper.  :)

Kalama E3 6'1 x 23" 105L
Axis HPS 980 / PNG 1300
Sunova Flow  8'10 X 31"  119L
Me - 6'0" - 165lbs - 66yo

Night Wing

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Piney Woods of Southeast Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: March 26, 2018, 07:58:28 PM »
@ Badger

Remember, I don't wear any type of wet/dry suit. And I only weigh 145 lbs.

When I was wade fishing for flounder wearing long pants, t-shirt, hat and old tennis shoes; if the water temperature was 66 degrees F and I was in the water up to my waist for 2 hours straight, I didn't shiver.

However, wearing the same clothes and being in the water for 2 hours with the water temperature at 65 degrees, I started to shiver after about 15 minutes of time. I had to keep moving to stay warm. If I quit moving and just stood in one spot fishing and again with the water up to my waist, 15 minutes later, I started shivering again.

So I've got a built in thermosat. Now I know what you're going to tell me. I won't be "in" the water, I'll be "on" my One World so I won't get wet. When I first get on my board, I might fall in. And if the wind is blowing at a good clip mph wise and I need to turn my board to change direction, if a gust of wind comes along, I just might lose enough of my balance to fall in the water.

And I've got my cranky lower back to think about. Although I haven't had an episode where I've experienced a sudden "ketch" in my lower back since last December of 2017, I'm aware of it. Since I haven't had a "ketch" in my lower back since last December, I may have found a fix/cure for it inadvertently. I'll know tomorrow afternoon (Tuesday) and I'll also know the reason why, but that is going to be a topic for another post in a different forum (Training, Diet & Fitness).

BTW, If my memory serves me correctly, I think you come in around 175 pounds. Which means you've got an extra 30 lbs of "natural insulation" on you compared to me. If I'm correct, I don't have that extra 30 lbs of natural insulation like you do. The less a person weighs, they feel the cold easier. But when the air temperature is very hot with a high heat index, I can handle the heat better than most people who weigh a lot more than I do.

In other words, it is a trade off. To sum up, I hate cold water as it relates to my physical weight and my lack of "natural insulation".  ;)
« Last Edit: March 26, 2018, 08:05:56 PM by Night Wing »
Blue Planet Duke: 10'5" x 32" x 4.5" @ 190 Liters (2 Dukes)
Sup Sports Hammer: 8'11" x 31" x 4" @ 140 Liters
SUP Sports One World: 11'1" x 30" x 4.5" @ 173 Liters
CJ Nelson Parallax: 9'3" x 23 1/2" x 3 3/16" @ 78.8 Liters (prone surfing longboard; Thunderbolt Technologies build in Red construction)

Badger

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Seacoast NH
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: March 27, 2018, 03:36:33 AM »
Today I'm 170 lbs, but I'm 6 feet tall so I'm very skinny.

If I had to spend more than 30 minutes in 66 degree water without a wetsuit, I would probably start to get hypothermia.

I'm just not that afraid of falling in. I've been paddling for five years and have never accidentally fallen off a board on flatwater. It would take some pretty rough water to make me fall. I've lived my whole life around the water so there are no surprises. I can anticipate a fall and can react accordingly in anticipation of it.

It's better to er on the side of caution if you are afraid you might fall and not be able to get back on your board. I didn't know that was a concern of yours.

If I had a new board and it was a warm day, I would have to try it. If I was afraid of falling, I would just stay close to shore in knee deep water. I think what you will find is that your new board is super stable.

« Last Edit: March 27, 2018, 04:04:39 AM by Badger »
Kalama E3 6'1 x 23" 105L
Axis HPS 980 / PNG 1300
Sunova Flow  8'10 X 31"  119L
Me - 6'0" - 165lbs - 66yo

Night Wing

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: March 30, 2018, 06:52:58 PM »
If any lurker out there is reading this thread and wants to find the flat water padding review of my OW, it can be found in the link below.

https://www.standupzone.com/forum/index.php/topic,33317.0.html

And eventually I will make a sup surfing review of my OW as well when I take my board down to the upper Texas coast.
CJ Nelson Parallax: 9'3" x 23 1/2" x 3 3/16" @ 78.8 Liters (prone surfing longboard; Thunderbolt Technologies build in Red construction)

Night Wing

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: June 26, 2018, 11:31:32 AM »
This is just for the lurkers on here.

With my last post, I had put up a link to my lake flatwater paddling review session(s). This post I'll be adding a link to my sup surfing review session on the upper Texas coast.

And there will be more reviews for my sup surfing sessions since I don't sup surf at the same spot every time. I'll  choose different places in my familiar haunts along the upper Texas coast because one sup surfing session is not a fair assessment what my One World can do in conjunction with different wind and wave conditions.

One thing to keep in mind is I'm 5'8" tall and I weigh 146 lbs because these are two items need to be factored in along with my 173 liters in volume One World and also the different wind and wave conditions I will encounter sup surfing.

https://www.standupzone.com/forum/index.php/topic,33680.0.html

Night Wing

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: July 05, 2018, 03:09:14 PM »
Another post for the lurkers on here so they can follow my first tanker bow wave surfing trip review with my 11'1" One World.

https://www.standupzone.com/forum/index.php/topic,33716.0.html

Ichabod Spoonbill

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Hudson Valley, NY
    • View Profile
    • HVH2O
    • Email
« Reply #111 on: July 06, 2018, 06:50:17 AM »
Wing, I like how you bring the big back to SUP surfing. For most of us who aren't coastal and who like to surf every no and then, it doesn't make sense to own a small surf SUP. (I had a 9'8" for a season, and it got used so rarely, it was just stupid to keep around.) Now I stick with my big all-arounds, because I can justify using them on flat water too. When I teach anyone, I'm not going to be on a race board. That's silly. I need something stable and maneuverable, hence the all-around.

But it's great to see someone making these big boys work. Keep it up!
Pau Hana 11' Big EZ Ricochet (Beluga)

Night Wing

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: July 06, 2018, 08:54:13 AM »
@ Ichabod Spoonbill

Thanks for your kind comments. I appreciate them.

When I found out I was going to have my right shoulder surgically repaired to remove a very large bone spur that cut 90% through my rotator cuff and the healing process was going to take 12 months, it gave me time to look at a long sup since I already have an 8'10" x 31" x 4" @ 140 liters Hammer which is primarily designed for sup surfing.

My original thought was a 10'6" x 30" x 4" @  160 liters Hammer which would accommodate flat water paddling and do a little sup surfing. But with my lower back problem which rears it's ugly head every now and then, I thought a little longer sup with a little more volume would be the answer. After looking at the Sup Sports website and running across the Gaviota video with WarDog's wife Deb, doing a little coastal cruising on her 11'1" One World, this video "really made me sit up and take notice". That video is at the link below.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ACvsPN2GII

Then I remembered those tanker surfing videos where one guy surfs a tanker bow wave with his prone surf board for around 8 minutes. The waves I caught yesterday were just like the one in this video below. Skip ahead in the video to the 3:00 minute mark and just enjoy watching a great tanker bow wave ride. BTW, this video was taken in Galveston Bay.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3CtbTO6_A4E

The waves on the upper Texas coast aren't the best. They're usually between 1' to 2' in height and on some occasions, up to 3' in height. Most low volume prone surf boards with their short lengths and sup boards, there just isn't enough energy in the wave to ride it with those low liter volume short boards. But with a high volume liter big board, like my 11'1" x 30" x 4.5" @ 173 liters which is the perfect volume for my 146 lb physical size, this board can handle these small waves. WarDog told me this board can handle a 1' wave up to 15' wave in height (if I had the skills to ride a 15' tall wave which I don't have). So when the wave forecast for wave height misses the mark, tanker bow wave sup surfing is an excellent "Plan B".

With the website below, all I have to do is take my laptop computer with me, go to a McDonalds at Galveston which has free wifi and use their free wifi so I can see the offshore tankers which will be coming inbound between the North and South Jetties.

https://www.marinetraffic.com/en/ais/home/centerx:-94.627/centery:29.443/zoom:12

Another reason why I wanted a longer board of 10'6" or more, I'm 68 years old with a cranky lower back. I'm not going to "shred waves" where I race down the face of the wave, turn the board back up to the top of the wave, rinse and repeat. That is for bigger waves and for those "young bucks/does" who like that action.

I just want a nice enjoyable ride where I don't expend a lot of energy so I don't wear myself out quickly. My 11'1" One World; for me, is perfect for flat water paddling, coastal cruising, sup surfing beach waves in the surf zone no matter how small and it is a gas for tanker bow wave sup surfing.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal