Author Topic: Custom SUP Sports "One World"  (Read 31668 times)

Night Wing

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Piney Woods of Southeast Texas
    • View Profile
Custom SUP Sports "One World"
« on: December 07, 2017, 12:45:26 PM »
I decided my custom 8'11" x 30" x 4" @ 140 liters Hammer, which was designed for sup surfing, needed a big sister. A big sister for mostly flat water paddling, with an eye to do a something off the wall ever now and then, for a little sup surfing.

Since I'm in Texas; today I "pulled the trigger" and ordered a custom SUP Sports "One World" for lots of leisurely (and the key word is "leisurely") flat water paddling on our area lakes (Woodlands, Conroe, Livingston & private subdivision lake where I live) and when the mood hits me, for some coastal cruising and if the waves are right, a little sup surfing down at Surfside, Texas. After talking with WarDog (Warren) over the phone, her specs are going to be: 11'1" X 30" X 4.5" @ 173 liters. This volume should be perfect for my 145 lb physical size and the width will be good for my cranky lower back since narrower width sups affect my lower back balance wise. It will have ballis tech vacuum bagged construction.

Since a production made 11'1" One World comes with 3 Futures fin boxes, my custom built One World will have 5 Futures fin boxes. All of the fin boxes will be white in color. BTW, the long 10" fin box will be adjustable. I ordered 6 fins and they are: (1, 9"), (2, 5"), (2, 4") and (1, 2.25" stubnub). With 6 fins, I can experiment with different wind and water conditions on our area lakes where I live as well as surf wave conditions when I take the OW down to the upper Texas coast (Crystal Beach, Galveston & Surfside). There will also be two leash plugs.

Texas is a hot state temperature and heat index wise where the months of July and August are quite hot where we have many 100 degrees F plus days where the heat index can reach temperatures of between 108-112 degrees F so it will have two vent plugs. A nice top black colored 3mm thick deck pad with a rear kick pad. There will be no decorative cut outs in the pad either. The grip is going to be a Blue Planet Sup Grip and it will be installed "offset" from the middle of the board so as to not harm the stringer. It will have clear colored "Rail Pro" for the rails too. The rails will be thinned out so the rails will be 60/40.

The deck pad will be covering a light colored bamboo. The bottom of the sup will have no bamboo and it will be solid orange in color and so will the rails. It should be a strikingly good looking (the cat's meow) sup. And the whole setup, with pad and 5 fins installed (2, 5"), (2, 4"), (1, 2.25") should come in at around 24 lbs.

I will be looking forward to riding her once our water temperature reaches 66 degrees F, which is my comfort zone for both fresh and saltwater and which should be around the third week in March of 2018 since I don't wear a wet or dry suit. Just a long sleeve shirt, shorts and water shoes.

Blue Planet Duke: 10'5" x 32" x 4.5" @ 190 Liters (2 Dukes)
Sup Sports Hammer: 8'11" x 31" x 4" @ 140 Liters
SUP Sports One World: 11'1" x 30" x 4.5" @ 173 Liters
CJ Nelson Parallax: 9'3" x 23 1/2" x 3 3/16" @ 78.8 Liters (prone surfing longboard; Thunderbolt Technologies build in Red construction)

supthecreek

Re: Custom SUP Sports "One World"
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2017, 12:55:16 PM »
Sounds like a nice board Wingman!
I like the dual vents for your heat furnace down Texas way!

Pics when you get it!

You wouldn't have like it here yesterday and today... waters already in the 40's  ;)

Dusk Patrol

• Teahupoo Status
  • PNW
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2017, 01:10:43 PM »
Very nice. That looks to be a great board to start with, and your thoughtful mods step it up even further. Have fun!
RS 14x26; JL Destroyers 9'8 & 8'10; BluePlanet 9'4; JL Super Frank 8'6

Subber

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2017, 01:39:01 PM »
Sounds like a very nice board - you put a lot of thought into it.

Curious, what does, "the long 10" fin box will be adjustable" mean -
how is it adjustable?
« Last Edit: December 07, 2017, 01:44:43 PM by Subber »
Jimmy Lewis Black & Blue Noserider 10'1"x31"x4.25," 164 liters, 24 lbs, 1 box
Pearson Laird Surftech Longboard 10'6"x23"x29.75"x18"x4.375," 154 liters, 24 lbs, 3 boxes
Takayama Ali'i II Surftech 11'x21.375”x28.5”x17.25”x 4.25,” 162 liters, 26 lbs, 3 boxes

eDUBz

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2017, 02:29:58 PM »
Nice!
@rf.boardworks

lopezwill

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2017, 03:50:41 PM »

Everybody should have an 11 footer or close just for cruising.

put up some photos when it arrives.

Night Wing

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2017, 05:13:26 PM »

how is it adjustable?

I did put a lot of thought into this board and also made some changes from my original thoughts since I originally planned to go with an all carbon board.

As for the adjustable 10" fin box, this means when I put the 9" fin into the fin box, the fin base of the 9" fin isn't 10" in length. It is much shorter so when I put the 9" fin in the 10" fin box, I can move the base of the 9" fin forward towards the nose of the board direction wise so this will loosen up the board or place the base of the 9" fin as far back in the fin box towards the tail and this will make the board track straighter.

Since the One World has a pin tail and with 5 fin boxes, I'm going to try a quad fin setup (2, 5") and (2, 4") side bite fins in the side bite fin boxes and see if she'll surf our small waves down at Surfside, Texas and be able to turn the board easily than if I had a 2 + 1 Thruster fin setup (2, 5") fin with a 9" fin in the 10" fin box OR (2, 4") fins with one 9" fin in the 10" fin box. Knowing how I like to experiment (tinker) with fins, I'm also going to try a quad + 1 fin setup (2, 5"), (2, 4") and (1, 2.25" stubby in the 10" fin box).

On flatwater, I will try a standard 1 fin setup with a 9" fin in the 10" fin box with the base of the 9" fin at the far end of the fin box towards the tail so this will make the board track straighter. But where there is a small current, I'm going to try a quad fin setup (2, 5") fins and (2, 4") fins on flatwater.

And I will take pictures of her too.
CJ Nelson Parallax: 9'3" x 23 1/2" x 3 3/16" @ 78.8 Liters (prone surfing longboard; Thunderbolt Technologies build in Red construction)

eDUBz

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2017, 07:51:26 PM »
Should add this 15” fin box for great adjustability  8) im adding it into one of my
14’ Boards.

Compared to a 10” Box

Another good Idea you might want to consider is have a HD PVC block insert for fin box reinforcement - i also wrap fin boxes in HD foam when i do fin box repairs and replacements

10.75” Futures one shot reinforced fin box
« Last Edit: December 07, 2017, 07:55:38 PM by eDUBz »
@rf.boardworks

connector14

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2017, 08:37:08 PM »
That looks like a 2014 Dominator. Just curious,  what will you gain with the longer box on that board?
"never leave the dock without your paddle"
Imagine Rocket 14 ...my new favorite, smooth and fast and lite
2018 Red Paddle 14 x 27 Elite
2014 Bark Dominator 14....smooth and quiet
2014 Imagine Connector 14...the "barge"

eDUBz

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2017, 11:18:58 PM »
That looks like a 2014 Dominator. Just curious,  what will you gain with the longer box on that board?

You are correct on the board - but I’m not adding it to that one. Adding it to my Allstar, it had Delam issues so fixing it and adding the 15” Bahne Box. Just want to play with fin adjustment. I was going to add the LA fins and Ventral but he never got back to on my order, oh well I’ll play with my own fin setups 8)

« Last Edit: December 07, 2017, 11:21:20 PM by eDUBz »
@rf.boardworks

Badger

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Seacoast NH
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2017, 01:24:33 AM »
Running quad on an 11' board seems unnecessary. I can't imagine that working very well on such a long board. Thruster would probably not work well either as the center fin would be way too small making it not track well through turns. Quad and thruster are short board set ups.

You're probably going to end up leaving the 9" fin in at all times and running a 2 + 1 set up for surfing. The 4" side bites are kind of big for that combination though. A pair of 3 inchers might work better.

It's fun to experiment. I'm looking forward to hearing how it goes.

« Last Edit: December 08, 2017, 01:44:22 AM by Badger »
Kalama E3 6'1 x 23" 105L
Axis HPS 980 / PNG 1300
Sunova Flow  8'10 X 31"  119L
Me - 6'0" - 165lbs - 66yo

SUP Sports ®

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Stoked For Life ®
    • View Profile
    • SUP Sports ®
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2017, 03:48:14 AM »

how is it adjustable?

I did put a lot of thought into this board and also made some changes from my original thoughts since I originally planned to go with an all carbon board.

As for the adjustable 10" fin box, this means when I put the 9" fin into the fin box, the fin base of the 9" fin isn't 10" in length. It is much shorter so when I put the 9" fin in the 10" fin box, I can move the base of the 9" fin forward towards the nose of the board direction wise so this will loosen up the board or place the base of the 9" fin as far back in the fin box towards the tail and this will make the board track straighter.

Since the One World has a pin tail and with 5 fin boxes, I'm going to try a quad fin setup (2, 5") and (2, 4") side bite fins in the side bite fin boxes and see if she'll surf our small waves down at Surfside, Texas and be able to turn the board easily than if I had a 2 + 1 Thruster fin setup (2, 5") fin with a 9" fin in the 10" fin box OR (2, 4") fins with one 9" fin in the 10" fin box. Knowing how I like to experiment (tinker) with fins, I'm also going to try a quad + 1 fin setup (2, 5"), (2, 4") and (1, 2.25" stubby in the 10" fin box).

On flatwater, I will try a standard 1 fin setup with a 9" fin in the 10" fin box with the base of the 9" fin at the far end of the fin box towards the tail so this will make the board track straighter. But where there is a small current, I'm going to try a quad fin setup (2, 5") fins and (2, 4") fins on flatwater.

And I will take pictures of her too.

Aloha Night Wing,
Great to chat with you again...

So. you'll end up with ~ 3" of adjustability for your 9" center fin...small 1/4" - 1/2" movement has a big impact...

The 5 fin box option will allow you to run your One World as a quad + StubNub which works really well in shallow water and water choked with kelp or weeds...it surfs SUPer loose with that setup as well...

We have always made sure that all of our board clients get an optimized fin set for their board, weight, ability, venue, & application...etc...it's been a part of our value proposition from the get go...

I've been a fin tweaker my entire surfing career...which led me to developing my own fin line over the last several decades...

http://supsports.com/sup-fins

I know that you'll have fun experimenting and dialing it in to your individual preferences...most folks end up never unlocking the full potential of their board(s) because of a complete lack of understanding or, effort to experiment and try to understand how different fins (types, placement, aspect ratios, surface areas, flex...etc) effect performance...

Mahalos...{:~)

WARDOG ®
Owner/CEO  StandUp Paddle Sports®  &   SurfingSports®.com, Inc.

(805)962-SUPS (7877) store
(888)805-9978 toll free

Retail Store:
Standup Paddle Sports, LLC
121 Santa Barbara St.
Santa Barbara, CA 93101

SUP Sports ®

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Stoked For Life ®
    • View Profile
    • SUP Sports ®
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2017, 03:49:52 AM »
I decided my custom 8'11" x 30" x 4" @ 140 liters Hammer, which was designed for sup surfing, needed a big sister. A big sister for mostly flat water paddling, with an eye to do a something off the wall ever now and then, for a little sup surfing.

Since I'm in Texas; today I "pulled the trigger" and ordered a custom SUP Sports "One World" for lots of leisurely (and the key word is "leisurely") flat water paddling on our area lakes (Woodlands, Conroe, Livingston & private subdivision lake where I live) and when the mood hits me, for some coastal cruising and if the waves are right, a little sup surfing down at Surfside, Texas. After talking with WarDog (Warren) over the phone, her specs are going to be: 11'1" X 30" X 4.5" @ 173 liters. This volume should be perfect for my 145 lb physical size and the width will be good for my cranky lower back since narrower width sups affect my lower back balance wise. It will have ballis tech vacuum bagged construction.

Since a production made 11'1" One World comes with 3 Futures fin boxes, my custom built One World will have 5 Futures fin boxes. All of the fin boxes will be white in color. BTW, the long 10" fin box will be adjustable. I ordered 6 fins and they are: (1, 9"), (2, 5"), (2, 4") and (1, 2.25" stubnub). With 6 fins, I can experiment with different wind and water conditions on our area lakes where I live as well as surf wave conditions when I take the OW down to the upper Texas coast (Crystal Beach, Galveston & Surfside). There will also be two leash plugs.

Texas is a hot state temperature and heat index wise where the months of July and August are quite hot where we have many 100 degrees F plus days where the heat index can reach temperatures of between 108-112 degrees F so it will have two vent plugs. A nice top black colored 3mm thick deck pad with a rear kick pad. There will be no decorative cut outs in the pad either. The grip is going to be a Blue Planet Sup Grip and it will be installed "offset" from the middle of the board so as to not harm the stringer. It will have clear colored "Rail Pro" for the rails too. The rails will be thinned out so the rails will be 60/40.

The deck pad will be covering a light colored bamboo. The bottom of the sup will have no bamboo and it will be solid orange in color and so will the rails. It should be a strikingly good looking (the cat's meow) sup. And the whole setup, with pad and 5 fins installed (2, 5"), (2, 4"), (1, 2.25") should come in at around 24 lbs.

I will be looking forward to riding her once our water temperature reaches 66 degrees F, which is my comfort zone for both fresh and saltwater and which should be around the third week in March of 2018 since I don't wear a wet or dry suit. Just a long sleeve shirt, shorts and water shoes.

Aloha NW,
Thanks again for the custom order...this will be a fun build with your color choice...;-)

Here is a CAD generated 3D rendering...I have already submitted the file to have it machine cut on the close tolerance CNC machine...
« Last Edit: December 08, 2017, 03:54:18 AM by SUP Sports ® »

WARDOG ®

(888)805-9978 toll free

Retail Store:
121 Santa Barbara St.
Santa Barbara, CA 93101

SUP Sports ®

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Stoked For Life ®
    • View Profile
    • SUP Sports ®
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2017, 04:34:01 AM »
Running quad on an 11' board seems unnecessary. I can't imagine that working very well on such a long board. Thruster would probably not work well either as the center fin would be way too small making it not track well through turns. Quad and thruster are short board set ups.

You're probably going to end up leaving the 9" fin in at all times and running a 2 + 1 set up for surfing. The 4" side bites are kind of big for that combination though. A pair of 3 inchers might work better.

Fin selection has a lot to do with personal preference...it's good to have options...

I go back and forth...always tweaking...but, I do like the looser feel of a quad on my 10' Mahalo and 11'1" One World in bigger waves...

Many big wave chargers use quad fin setups on their guns in the biggest paddle in waves on the planet...so, there's that...;-)

My 4" sidebiters have 10.7 in2 of surface area and are very fast and flexy...the wider base and aspect ratio gives them lots of drive and grip...they work very well in conjunction with my 5"s...or, with a bigger center of the rider's choice...

Not that Night Wing is going to find XXXL sized waves to ride in Texas...but, one of my big wave charger friends...Bennett Williams...successfully rode switch foot on my production 11'1" x 30" One World at Shark Reef in these pics using my 9" WD Wave and a set of my 4" sidebiters...which also works in smaller waves, too with a dog on the nose...YMMV...

WARDOG ®

(888)805-9978 toll free

Retail Store:
121 Santa Barbara St.
Santa Barbara, CA 93101

Night Wing

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2017, 05:20:03 AM »

From my comments on this site since I became a member, you know me well enough by now to know I don't run with the pack so to speak and I also a person who notices details.

You are only looking at the size of the board and the quad fin setup. You have to take into consideration where I sup surf at, the everyday size of the waves there, my physical 145 lb size and the board itself. As an example, a standard production made One World is 11'1" x 30" x 4.6" @ 200 liters.

But I went with a custom build. Which means the specs for the One World I've ordered is 11'1" x 30" x 4.5" @ 173 liters. There is only (.1") of thickness between 200 liters versus 173 liters. And I know what you're going to say which is, "There shouldn't be a 27 liters difference for just (.1") of thickness". And you are right in your assumption. But since there are 27 liters of difference, you have to take into account other details which aren't normally seen in a custom build. And one of those differences is below.

Since there is a 27 liter difference between a production made One World and my custom built One World, this means the rocker is going to be slightly "different" on my custom OW versus the rocker on a production made OW.

There are other differences too, but the change in rocker is the main one. With the new rocker for my OW, when looking at the "regular waves I'll find down at Surfside (TX) during the Spring, Summer & Fall months, (and taking into account also the wind conditions for these months) the waves will be different in shape and height during the Spring, Summer & Fall months. This is why I didn't go with the standard 3 fin box setup the production made OW normally comes with. With all the details I had written down on paper, this is why I chose a 5 fin box setup (quad + 1).

Even if my assumptions are wrong about a quad (4) fin setup, there is still the old adage which tells me, "Better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it". When I talked with WarDog (Warren) over the phone, the phone call lasted about an hour. Why? Because I had lots of "details" on my sheet of paper for this build and we went over each detail in depth, but the rocker change and the different fin lengths for the wave conditions I will encounter when sup surfing this length board, were the "big ticket items" so to speak.

Just keep in mind, since my 8'11" x 30" x4" @ 140 liters Hammer was designed for sup surfing, I bought the OW for mainly leisurely flat water cruising on lakes and slow moving rivers, but with the option to surf it too. And I am going to take this board down to Surfside (TX). In my bookmark/favorites Sup-1 folder, I have the wind and wave height forecasts for Surfside which is in the link below.

https://www.swellinfo.com/surf-forecast/surfside-texas

And there is a nice streaming web cam for Surfside too where one can control the camera at different camera positions for 1 minute of time. The link for Surfside's streaming web cam is below.

http://www.saltwater-recon.com/surfside-cam/

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal