Author Topic: How can locals deem a spot closed to sup surfers?  (Read 10929 times)

lopezwill

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
How can locals deem a spot closed to sup surfers?
« on: December 06, 2017, 05:00:56 PM »

I live in central California and surfing spots are definitely more crowded these days.  I occasionally sup surf a spot that locals (of which they all agree) have decided is closed to sup surfing.  I have lay down surfed this spot for 25 plus years but due to neck problems I only sup surf now.

I hardly ever sup surf this spot and always try and find another place to go.  This last swell left only this spot available due to winds and swell direction.  I've been told out in the water a few times that this is not a sup spot and to move down the beach.  I don't even respond to this and surf where I want to.  I'm always polite, upbeat and known by most of the crew.  They sort of "let me surf there cause I'm 62,  been surfing there for many years and have learned to sup surf."

This last swell the tension in the water was very high.  I let most of the good waves go (like I always do) but I also caught some good ones.  I usually get the "Stink eye' when I'm on a wave but don't usually care as I'm having fun.  This last swell on 5 of the best waves I caught somebody would cut me off.  I'm used to it and I basically move them out of the wave by surfing past them.  When I paddle back out they don't apologize for cutting me off just stink eye.

I left this "Go out" feeling discouraged that the vibe can be so awful to sup surfers that for me it was not fun.  I know this is exactly what the locals want but I'm writing here to get some feedback.

OUTSIDEWAVE

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: How can locals deem a spot closed to sup surfers?
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2017, 05:14:51 PM »
They have been doing it for years/ Surfers can't close the break to sup!!!  MY plan  and it has worked so far is to go with aloha.  let the first set go  through   Then catch a nice set wave in the second set usually later in the set so that many have already  got a wave and are paddling back out.( hopefully they own just paddle in front of you)   when you ride the wave  well they see and  eventually they  respect you. Sometimes I pick out a wave and will call it out to  some of the  ring leaders  hopefully they catch on.  If they don't   then don't call waves for them any more  call them for someone else, but don't back down.

YOU are 62 you have surfed many places and probably have way more experince than they do.  I am 64 and it is the same  for me  although i have to say  i think most areas are more accpeting these days.  maybe the central coast is just lagging behind.  Good luck!
SEA BIRDS THEY DO TOUCH AND GO AS THE WORLD JUST TANGOES BY.... SO I SADDLE UP MY SEAHORSE WITH MY FLYROD IN MY HAND.... 10'3 King custom  10'6"  c4 da beachboy

surf4food

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2017, 06:46:37 PM »
Everything you described plays a major role in why I don't SUP surf.  Well that combined with just not wanting to deal with muscling a higher volume board and a paddle in hand for surfing.  SUP for me is more of a way to enjoy simply being on the water as an alternative to surfing.  With that, I'm probably not the best person to answer your question but I imagine the central coast has tons of empty areas.  Sure those empty areas might get crappier surf but isn't that where a SUP board becomes an advantage?  If due to wind and swell direction as you described there is only one ridable area that is crowded perhaps that would be a good day to just do something else OR maybe just go out for a paddle but not actually surf?  I know that doesn't sound all that appealing but I do understand how other surfers around you can make your session not very fun.  Where on the central coast do you live?   
« Last Edit: December 06, 2017, 07:32:40 PM by surf4food »

LB Surper

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2017, 07:41:22 PM »
I surf away from the crowd but if the opportunity presents itself, and I catch a good wave in the pack, I just smile and ignore the haters.
One time a guy pulled my leash intentionally and warned me he’d do that every time. I told him that he should get a good lawyer because I would sue him for harassment and intentional infliction of emotional pain. He never bothered me again. There’s something to be said for being older and knowing a bit about civil rights that makes the brash young guys a bit nervous.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
NSP DC 14'
Naish Hokua 9'6"
Mistral Diamond Head 8'6"
Naish Glide 14"

lpmaui

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2017, 08:22:48 PM »
Well said S4F,
I prone surf daily and only SUP when its marginal. Dealing with the tourists on Maui whom have no idea what t f they are doing you kind of put up with it.

I'm nearly 69 and short and longboard. Have been surfing for 62 years.  if you have neck pain see a good chiro or physio therapist.

southwesterly

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2017, 09:03:15 PM »
Because life is not fair.

I got this waxed on my drivers window at a spot that I’ve surfed since I was old enough to drive.

Some things are what they are. If you went to play the game, that the way it is.

The author of the waxy scribble was unaware that I saw what car he got out of and got a few well placed drywall screws right in front of his back tires.

Childish for sure, but that’s the game.

Piros

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • www.vonpiros.com
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2017, 10:10:50 PM »
It’s pretty simple where I live , just lay off the points . A handful of very good Sup riders are tolerated but still not that welcome . The arguement is that other Suppers will see you out and think it’s cool to paddle out. We have 18 miles of beach breaks so you can always find something but sometimes the points are just so good the attraction is too much. I just Sup Foil now and sit wide and ride the fat ones on the points or beach breaks . I’m seeing the angst of the proners as other Sup riders come out to me and can’t get a wave and then drift into the line up creating havoc when they get cleaned up or paddling in with blinkers on and dropping in.

I’m a long time Sup rider and born and breed local . I’ve had that many run in’s I can’t count and with 20 years of water polo under my belt nothing was ever sorted out in the car park. I have never come to blows because they soon pull back when you take your leg rope off and swim up and say let’s settle this now in the water. I only do this to the guys you know I am talking about .

I have always defended and promoted Sup surfing but the more I sit wide over the past 6 months and look back into the line up and see the constant influx of riders on Sups , loggers & wave skies on the points doing the wrong thing . I’m a lot more simpathic to the angry proner.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2017, 11:11:01 PM by Piros »
Von Piros Productions
Land Behind, Fish Below, Stories Ahead

surfinJ

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2017, 11:37:24 PM »
That’s what I’ve been told as well, ‘other sups will see you here and paddle out’.

As a life long surfer I get the respect being demanded for at the AAA spots where the prone crowd has a lineage of generations in the lineup. Sadly the behavior of some novice surfers can reek havoc and this is amplified if they’re on a sup.

I remember how it felt on a prone shortboard when a greedy longboarder would sit out the back and harvest set waves.

Sometimes either a midweek dawn patrol or a big swell can ease access. Though these sessions seem to be crowding as well.

PDLSFR

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2017, 03:38:10 AM »
I say get as many good SUP surfers together (25 or so) and all hit the break together, strength in numbers, and then overcrowd the break with SUPs and make a point that times are changing and either they can become accommodating or they can go someplace else. Might take a awhile and will need the SUP group to do this together over and over to make the point, but it will get made. Don't make it an aggressive move, just a fun aloha adventure.
Infinity RNB 8'2
Ron House 9'7
Ron House 10'7
Infinity New Deal 10'
Custom Infinity New Deal 10'
VEC 11'
Focus Bluefin 14'

supthecreek

« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2017, 05:43:24 AM »
lopezwill,
it's a crappy situation for sure, I think you are doing just what is called for.... playing with-in the the local politics and keeping them in a fragile truce.
It has gotten worse lately, but it may ease up after a while, or not, depending on how much "overall" threat SUP has on that line-up.

Thoughts on "localism" in general:

Surfing has always had aggressive locals. Some are downright lawless.
I have always understood that, but stand on the side of the "non-local" at breaks where tension arises.... unless the perp is a total moron.

I travel a lot to surf, and am very appreciative when I am respected at far away breaks, so I will always do the same to visitors.

Having said that, there are serious issues at most good breaks..... look no further than Malibu.
Perfection ruined.

Which leads to the question:
How would you keep a great break, from becoming overrun?

Too many people at a break, will render it useless.... and there are no "trail marking signs" like a ski area.
Typically, good breaks are easy to paddle out and easy to surf.... so any novice surfer can paddle out and destroy a break.
SUP has magnified that problem.

"localism" has evolved as the mechanism to keep this from happening.

We all need to play with this reality, and have to find a way to negotiate it.

Never play 2nd fiddle..... your place in the line-up should be earned by your surfing, not your board.

Line-up reality since I was 16:
If you are not a good surfer, leave the good breaks to better surfers.
Go down the beach to get your stripes.... then come back and earn a place in the line-up

Tom

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2017, 07:08:33 AM »

Old School 213

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2017, 09:34:11 AM »
Maybe I'm just getting old and cranky or maybe not......

I have not been on a stand up for 6-7 months. I've been riding a 7'6" short board or 9'6" long board at breaks I can ride my bicycle to. Some days I have a lot of fun like this past Saturday, surfed with respectful folks and we all got happy. Then there are days like Sunday, different group at the same break. ZERO etiquette. back paddling, shoulder hopping, wave hogging....... I really don't want to be the old guy trying to regulate but this is out of control. With some localism and "uncles" in the lineup maintaining respect it'd be a better place. And that applies to newb crawlers, wanna b pro's as well as Supsters. I need to get back on a stand up and away from the crowds.

I'm currently looking for an 11', next to no rocker long board. You know the kind that catch waves extremely early? And a sticker for the nose saying "Towanda!!!"

NorthJerzSurfer

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2017, 11:39:23 AM »
none of this is going to matter in 5 years.

There will be a Kelly Slater Wave pool where every mall, in every metro area 'used to be' in America. 

We will get the oceans; and the marginal imperfect waves formed by nature back soon enough. 8)

Weasels wake

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2017, 11:52:32 AM »
Next to the south side of the pier?
Sewer's or Saint Ann's?
Or down at Rincon?
It takes a quiver to do that.

JEG

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2017, 12:42:33 PM »
show them how fun is SUP (do your thing) and once they see you surf like Kelly (with a paddle) they know whats up  8)

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal