Author Topic: How can locals deem a spot closed to sup surfers?  (Read 10943 times)

JimK

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Big Guys can have fun too!
    • View Profile
Re: How can locals deem a spot closed to sup surfers?
« Reply #30 on: December 08, 2017, 08:35:03 AM »
AMEN! (Surfercook)

Sorry just came from mass of the Immaculate Conception

JimK
Extreme Windsurfing

mrbig

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 08, 2017, 09:22:30 AM »
Rye on the Rocks in NH, and Ruggles in Newport are the only spots in NE that are "closed" to SUPS. Monihans Dock in Narraganset is another. Reef and point breaks with take off zones the size of a pool table.

Knuckleheads who run over kids in surf schools are NOT welcome no matter what they are riding.

Haven't seen any sup foiling here YET!
« Last Edit: December 08, 2017, 09:25:48 AM by mrbig »
Let it come to you..
SMIK 9'2" Hipster Mini Mal
SMIK 8'8" Short Mac Freo Rainbow Bridge
SMIK 8'4" Hipster Twin
King's 8'2" Accelerator SharkBoy

Weasels wake

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 08, 2017, 09:31:16 AM »
I don't remember where I saw this pic, but I saved it, it's chuckle worthy.
It takes a quiver to do that.

surf4food

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #33 on: December 08, 2017, 10:41:51 AM »
Surf4food, I was just asking because I'd never seen it. That's all.

That's fine.  I didn't mean it to come off as an attack (just in case it did). 

XLR8

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #34 on: December 08, 2017, 10:46:44 AM »
It happens in the Great Lakes too!   ;D

All the same dynamics -- from overly serious aggro guys to mellow Is What it Is type attitudes -- exist in our little surf culture as well.  I don't feed into the aggro stuff but I don't allow myself to be pushed around either.  The most I have had to say to anyone is "I don't plan to give you any trouble out here and I would suggest you not worry too much about me either." 

Our Lake waves are mushy and sloppy and a huge part of it is peak hunting anyway, so unless you are at one of the key protected spots it can be a bit of a spread out line up, thankfully.  In the more protected spots where people have to commit some travel time tempers can be more touchy.

My nature is to want to be away from the crowd, even in lesser waves.  I tend to not like the elbow to elbow mingling so I give room.  I've been surfing here for over a decade and play around with everything, from shortboards, midlengths, longboard, long and short surf sups, a foil, and even surfing a downwind board from time to time.  I tend to be all business around the water, in to what I am doing.  I'm not there for the bro down, but I don't give anyone trouble either.

This guy and I finished this wave out together.
Blkbox Surf
Instagram: @greatlakespaddler

SUPcheat

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 08, 2017, 11:14:50 AM »
It takes a long time to sort out even an ordinary break like Privates/Sharks with tides, wave moods etc.  Crowds do seem to be getting worse, but evaluating the people out there has become part of the routine.  Are they floating kafee klatch girls just dawdling and gossiping?  Are they going straight in or down the line?  Are they the "competitors" who treat every wave like an ego conquest?  Are they the long boarders or short boarders? Are they clueless parents with kids right out in the middle of the surf freeway?

There are guys who are always in the "right" spot, and others who don't seem to register where the right spots are.  I am kind of intermediate, I know where the right spots are about two thirds of the time now.

Some days it's pointless, some days not.  Last Saturday, it was crowded with proner fleas and floating turds everywhere, but I still managed to get lots of waves and have a good session.  I practice a lot of avoidance and courtesy, so I don't seem to have garnered crap for a while.  The ancient and decrepit long boarders are pretty friendly because I don't get in their way when they come down the line at 25mph.

I find Pleasure Point worthless a lot of the time, between the expert grim reapers and the clueless groms, there is very little that is predictable, but I go down there once in a while anyway because it is pretty. I got a compliment from one of the surf instructors a while ago because he said I maintain awareness of my surroundings. 

A SUP guy that I see out there usually starts trying at Steamer Lane, but generally bails and comes over to Sharks instead as he tells me. I have seen him get pulled off by the leash by a proner, as he does have an annoying habit of snaking and dropping in.  I notice that some SUP guys who are more aggressive are masters of "hit and run".  They will go up and down to the various breaks, scoop a few waves then go to another break without dwelling, thus avoiding too much aggro.

I think I prefer the chill zen approach, just accept whatever is out there, appreciate the environment, and accept what the wave gods grant or don't grant.  I am not out there to brawl with tweakers and aggros.  There are so many psychos and weirdos in Santa Cruz, anyway, and a lot of them are on boards.   There are also a lot of really nice people, too.

There is one older guy who is particularly strange, because he is quite vocal.  He actually follows you around, and snakes, then yells at you for dropping in.  He does it on purpose, then goes on shore grousing loudly about all the a-holes.  It's actually kind of funny, because he is all talk but lets his stream of consciousness loose to run free in loud verbiage.
2013 Fanatic Prowave LTD 9'3"x30.5x@134L
Sunova Speeed 8'10"x29.12@131L
Sunova Flow 8'7"x30.25"@121L
Carbon 9.3x32@163L Hammer
Me: 6'1"@230 lbs 68 years old

SUP Leave

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 08, 2017, 04:57:43 PM »
I have surfed in a few different states and countries and found that SoCal is by far the worst. Washington and Oregon I can't even remember one time being groused at by anyone. Hawaii, I have been cut off plenty by SUPs and longboards, but attitudes and vibes have always been good. Texas, everyone was lovely and nice. Canada, super nice folks in and out of the water. Mexico was just like SoCal, so I assume the people there were from SoCal.

Always the grousing or vibeing has been in small waves. Once the waves have some consequence, everyone is more focused on survival. Especially me!

This kind of thing happens in fishing, hunting, or many other outdoor sports. The number one way to solve an issue with someone is to walk, paddle, motor right up to them smile and say "Hi my name is (insert your name), I'm sorry about what happened lets figure this out." I had a guy yelling at me about hunting ducks in front of his property (I was on a public river). I drove my boat over, got out, walked up with a smile and introduced myself. Now I hunt on his property and have breakfast in his kitchen.
Make paddleboarding great again!

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #37 on: December 08, 2017, 05:26:44 PM »
I can only really speak for SoCal. I know what to expect at each break. Peak crowd times and average swells will attract the masses. I have my own secret spots where there are always good waves and one or two locals if even that. When it gets big, it's not usually a problem. I get plenty, and usually know everyone in the line-up. Once someone dicks with me, it's on. I'm 6'7 , 245 and only a few will actually ever say anything. I'll single them out and block them, out position them, and park myself uncomfortably close to them. It's like a chess game. They move, I move. They try to ruin my day, I will ruin theirs. They can follow me to my car, that's fine. Anyone that knows me personally knows I'm a big, mellow, happy guy, but I have a switch.   
95% of the time, I will surf where I know there won't be a hassle. I never look for it, I avoid it.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2017, 05:36:53 PM by TallDude »
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

Badger

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Seacoast NH
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 08, 2017, 10:17:39 PM »
Rye on the Rocks in NH, and Ruggles in Newport are the only spots in NE that are "closed" to SUPS. Monihans Dock in Narraganset is another. Reef and point breaks with take off zones the size of a pool table.

Knuckleheads who run over kids in surf schools are NOT welcome no matter what they are riding.

Haven't seen any sup foiling here YET!

I would include Fox Hill along with Rye on the Rocks as being off limits although I have seen SUPs at both on rare occasions. I think there is a slow tolerance evolving. I surfed Rye on the Rocks on my Stun Gun one chest high day when no one was out so at least I can say I've done it.

I expect we might see a foil or two in 2018. There are some awesome spots that would be perfect for foiling just going unridden every day. I would love to be the first but I'm hesitant to buy one.

« Last Edit: December 08, 2017, 10:37:45 PM by Badger »
Kalama E3 6'1 x 23" 105L
Axis HPS 980 / PNG 1300
Sunova Flow  8'10 X 31"  119L
Me - 6'0" - 165lbs - 66yo

BrownSugah

• Malibu Status
  • Like Pahhtay wit me ?
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #39 on: December 09, 2017, 06:19:48 AM »
They can’t ... I’ll SUP anywhere
ALOHA

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal