Author Topic: Hollow layup schedule anyone?  (Read 2131 times)

SUPflorida

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Hollow layup schedule anyone?
« on: December 06, 2017, 12:14:54 PM »
Pondering using John Lindhal’s A class catamaran one-off technique to build a viable hollow board . 14’ or longer all-water race/semi-race board. Anyone have a legit layup schedule for a high end surf ski? Should be a decent foundation to start from with tweaking from there. The cats use 3/8” 5lb corecell with 5.8 oz carbon skins inside (bias) and out (0-90). A good place to start as well.

I already made a jig for a 4.3 m cat hull and have both halves of one hull glassed on the inside with 5.0 oz Kevlar. The concept is solid. John has made at least 5 different LR  A cat designs this way with good results at the national level.

For those unframiliar with “ A” class catamarans they are 18’ long x 7.5’ wide and have an all up weight of 150lbs...that’s everything but the sailor.  Hulls, crossbeams, rudders, daggers boards/foils, mast sails and all blocks and rigging. Super light considering everything that is going on and capable of surviving pitchpoles at 20 + mph usually without damage to the hulls.

Not sure if the weight would be that much better than foam for an SUP but it would be interesting to try.

If you would like to see more on the concept copy & pasted the link below.

https://lindahlcompositedesign.weebly.com/lr5-build.html

jrandy

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Hollow layup schedule anyone?
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2017, 05:23:21 AM »
Just when I put the idea of a second sailboat build out of my mind...
The mold concept for the half-hulls looks very interesting.
I got nothing about a SUP layup like this but hope all goes well and we get to see the boat when it's ready.
http://pushheretosavealife.com/
Be safe, have fun. -J

supuk

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
Re: Hollow layup schedule anyone?
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2017, 03:25:48 AM »
on the hollow board I did many years ago I used a 5mm corecell then 6oz glass on the inside and 6oz carbon on the outside which was fairly solid there is a thread on here I think somewere.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal