Author Topic: Surfing SoCal in early April  (Read 3733 times)

GusD

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Surfing SoCal in early April
« on: November 20, 2017, 07:45:57 PM »
Hi guys,
I have planned a trip to California in early next April, will be hiring a car or van for a week, doing the coast from San Diego to San Francisco. I'm from Australia.
I am hoping to surf some of the iconic locations - Huntington, Malibu, Rincon and whatever looks good on the day. I am thinking surfing (prone) would be the way to go - a sup and paddle would be too hard to organise while on the move. I have a couple of questions:
1. Would you recommend I buy a (2nd hand) board when I get over there, or just hire one each day depending on where I am? Are there many places to hire boards at reasonable prices?
2. What kind of board would you recommend for these waves at this time of year?
I surf pretty much every style of board so can adapt fairly easily.
If you have any other suggestions for travelling around California that would be much appreciated too!
Cheers

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Surfing SoCal in early April
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2017, 08:13:09 PM »
Depending on where you land you can totally buy a board on craigslist and sell it when you leave. If you hit LA there are a few shops that sell used that would probably arrange a buy back or consignment sale for you. Check out Rider Shack in LA for good selection of used boards and then there are guys on craigslist with a backyard full of boards. (You will know them because they have like 50 ads in CL.

I'm not sure what you ride but A lot of the iconic breaks down south here might be best enjoyed on a longboard or mid-length that time of year other than Huntington and the other beachbreaks. (Other guys pitch in here, I'm biased as me and my crew mostly ride longboards.) But from San Diego to the LA County Line there are a lot of classic longboard spots. Also, get on it early (afternoon wind can be common then in SoCal.) I'd say bring a wetsuit but nothing crazy, we use 3/2's but by then some guys are breaking out 2/2 spring suits. Water can be cool still.

There are some places to rent standups so you might want to grab a stando while you're down here and leave it when you travel. Also, a lot of zoners around here so I'm betting you could set up a couple of beach days with the guys on here. We like travelers.

seadart

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2017, 06:46:52 AM »
In early April it can be really good, or more likely start of small summer time surf surf - but with on shore wind issues.  Whenever I have planned big surf trips  New Zealand, Hawaii, UK the weather and waves never cooperate so it's good to have a back up plan for hiking, sight seeing, etc.

I would go for a longer board for April since chances of hitting decent short board waves up and down the coast is not great.  Could happen though.  I would suggest getting in contact with OEX in Point Loma, it's about 5 minutes from the San Diego Airport.  The guy who runs the shop is very helpful and he could probably set you up with a deal on a good surfable SUP.   A good place to score a a good used longboard /shortboard is Surfride in Solana Beach.   I don't know if you can set something up by email with them but it is worth a try.  You can certainly walk in there and walk out with decent board. They are about 5 minutes from  Table Tops / Cardiff Reef/ Swami's  -all places you want to check out when in San Diego.   

The other piece of advice is to ask around about breaks locally.  Sure you have heard of Trestles and Rincon and Steamer Lane,  but there are lots of hidden gems like Jalama and Little Pico Creek, Davenport. I would skip LA as a starting spot.  Too much traffic and the best waves are either in San Diego, Orange County or  North of Santa Barbara and Central Coast area. 

seadart

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2017, 04:55:23 PM »
Oops that should say North of Malibu. Ventura and Rincon are worth checking out.

Zooport

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2017, 09:05:12 PM »
In Newport and Huntington Beach, April usually means small surf and windy, lumpy conditions.  I hope you are lucky enough to avoid this typical spring phenomenon.
8'6 Soul Compass
9'1 Sunova Creek
9'6 WaveStorm SUP
9'8 Starboard Element

SUP Leave

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2017, 09:46:57 AM »
I did a week and a half in early April two years ago. I did no planning at all except bringing a 3/2 wetsuit.

Mostly surfed between Newport (blackies), LaJolla Shores and Pacific/Mission beaches in San Diego (because these were closest to the places we stayed). Waves were small and it got windy a lot. I rented longboards because that is what everyone else had. There are so many surf shops that getting a board within walking distance of a break was a simple matter.

I will say this: there are a lot of good surfers in CA. I got a lot of scraps. Did best when I got up really early. So whatever you rent you will want to do overnight so that you can get on the water first thing, rather than waiting for a shop to open.

Once I went to stay with a friend in Newport Beach and thought I would buy and sell a craigslist board, and what I found out was that I needed a half day to get the board, and then selling it would require another half day at best. It seemed like a waste of good vacation(surfing) time to me, so I just bought a used 9-0 at a surf shop and left it at my bud's. Only took an hour. I also could have rented, in about the same amount of time.
Make paddleboarding great again!

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2017, 01:44:55 PM »
I recommend (if you're flying into SD?) to Rent your van and go straight something like  https://www.playitagainsportssd.com/ , some other local surf shop or Buy an 8' Wavestorm ($200. )  online at Walmart and have it ready for pickup at one of San Diego stores near the airport. Check out Sunset Cliffs, Pacific Beach, Cardiff Reef as you head north. Stay your first and second night in San Clemente at some place like the   http://hamptoninn3.hilton.com/en/hotels/california/hampton-inn-and-suites-san-clemente-LAXSCHX/index.html . In the morning, you drive 1 mile south, park and walk down to Trestles ‘Lowers’ (prone only). Or drive south 2 miles to San Onofre State Beach. Parking right on the beach and you can prone surf (long board) or SUP surf  just a 100 yds south at Dog Patch.

Give us a heads up, and a local zoner could meet you with a board or two to use at SanO:)

You can drive even further south to Cardiff Reef (SUP) / Swami’s (prone) (40 min drive) surf and SUP there, then back up for dinner on the beach at SanO or evening surf at Doheny. The next day head up Coast Hwy from San Clemente to Huntington. Check out Laguna Beach (no real surf), then Newport Beach / Balboa Peninsula ‘Blackies, then on up to Huntington Beach Pier (North of the pier area). Stay the next night up in the Ventura area. Drive down towards Malibu ‘First Point’  you’ll pass a ton of spots like Leo Carrillo. Then head north and check out Rincon on your way up to Santa Barbara. Stay in Santa Barbara. Then just drive up the coast to Santa Cruz the next day, and maybe freeze your ass off surfing there  :o
From there you could head due east to Yosemite National Park. Stay somewhere outside the park. Spend a whole day driving threw the park. On the way back towards San Francisco give my bro Kelly a call and see if you ride his wave pool  ::) Lots to do in SF. Check out the wharf, the Presidio, and of course Maverick's.

An upgraded board option would be to rent a board from Stewart's Surf  http://www.stewartsurfboards.com/ They have a good selection to pick from. They are in south San Clemente as well.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2017, 01:55:55 PM by TallDude »
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2017, 05:05:59 PM »
Don't hate, Seadart. ;)

But yes, in LA proper, I'd probably skip those spots but you can't come to SoCal and not at least paddle out at Malibu. Do you skip the Eiffel Tower when you visit Paris? ;) Tall Dude laid out a great plan.

SUP Sports ®

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Stoked For Life ®
    • View Profile
    • SUP Sports ®
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2017, 09:50:30 AM »
...snip...

The other piece of advice is to ask around about breaks locally.  Sure you have heard of Trestles and Rincon and Steamer Lane,  but there are lots of hidden gems like Jalama and Little Pico Creek, Davenport. I would skip LA as a starting spot.  Too much traffic and the best waves are either in San Diego, Orange County or  North of Santa Barbara and Central Coast area.

If we get rain like we did last year, Spring is definitely the most beautiful time of year in California...

I'm in Santa Barbara...and, April also means Spring clearing winds...and, that means a much higher statistical probability of smaller shorter period blown out wind swell...which also means much colder upwelled water temps...etc...

When I was a prone surfer...April always meant surf trips to Mainland Mexico to keep the Winter surf stoke alive and get in warm water...

Unless you are a windsurfer or kiter...my recommendation would be to stay south of Santa Barbara and surf the lumpy lurpy wind swells of April in glassier and warmer conditions with kelp beds that help to attenuate the chop...unless, you just want to get out of the crowds and get your nature on...which may be a crap shoot because that time period coincides with Spring Break...which gets spread out over a 3 week period for schools and colleges...impacting camping options...parks...etc...YMMV...

Mahalos...{:~)

WARDOG ®
Owner/CEO  StandUp Paddle Sports®  &   SurfingSports®.com, Inc.

(805)962-SUPS (7877) store
(888)805-9978 toll free

Retail Store:
Standup Paddle Sports, LLC
121 Santa Barbara St.
Santa Barbara, CA 93101

GusD

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2017, 08:34:47 PM »
Thanks everyone, I really appreciate your input!

Looks like a longboard will be the go - I wasn't thinking it would be as cold in the water as everyone is saying it will be though!

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2017, 11:07:14 PM »
In SoCal water temps will fluctuate between high 50's which only peak winter to low 70's mid summer. It's 63 degrees right now. Not too many 4/3 suits are sold around here. 3/2 range usually. Two winters ago we had 70 degree water and sunny days mid January. North to Santa Barbara is where the water and air temps noticeably start to drop.   
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

surfinJ

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2017, 04:22:04 AM »
The water in Southern California is never really warm, a shortie and 3/2 full should have you covered.

According your itinerary, the tip with the 8’ Wavestorm is the ticket. I’ve found when traveling the board doesn’t need to be so special, just work. With only one week, you’ll lose too much time and have too many constraints if renting.

And another plus with the wavestorm apart from its versatility, if you have some brushups with the locals they’ll be no damage or injury from the softtop board.
So no time lost to hassles either.

seadart

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2017, 11:58:46 AM »
Don't know what your budget is but a nice hotel close to restaurants and surf is the Courtyard Marriot in Solana Beach - it's very close to where you could rent or buy boards and about 10 -15 minutes away from some of the best breaks in Southern California.

For added enjoyment you can ask about booking the Prince Harry Suite where he bedded a bimbo he met in the gaslamp in San Diego when he was stationed out in the desert doing his army gig.   You can get an expedia deal or business deal on a room there for about $85 bucks,  I host guests from my business there so I may have a discount i don't realize.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2053452/Prince-Harry-Jessica-Donaldson-Marriott-hotel-room-renamed-Royal-Suite.html

If you are on a tight budget you can look into renting a van and camping at San Elijo Campground at Cardiff Reef,  San Mateo Camp Ground at San Onofre,  there are two camp grounds in Ventura, the southern one has less good surfing,  the one north of town has excellent location but a bit sketchy with local tweakers/theives.  Jalama has a really fantastic campground.  Getting reservations at the State Campgrounds in Cardiff or Carlsbad is kind of tricky.  You can sign up for spots online but you have to do it now.  They keep other spots open, but you have to wait in line in the morning for the spot that night.  My friends from NZ loved camping on the beach at these spots.  My wife, not so much.   

If you surf north of Santa Barbara in April you will want a 4/3 suit .   Water by Monterrey, Santa Cruz, SF and points north is cold in April.  Post up if you are in Lajolla/Cardiff Area and I will come and surf and shoot some video. 
« Last Edit: November 29, 2017, 12:06:34 PM by seadart »

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2017, 05:52:01 PM »
Yeah, the cold water surprises people in the Spring. Wardog mentioned the upwelling. All year round it's like 45° once you get to a certain depth. When the wind blows, it causes the cold water to flip with the warmer water up top and you can get crazy cold water when it's nice weather.

You will go surf Saturday and it's like low 60's and then Sunday it'll be mid 50's overnight. Crazy. But as was said, a 3/2 and a spring will get you.

The other thing to watch is the 72 hour rule when it rains. Especially down in San Diego. Search the forum for more on that.

Wardog, I do the same thing, surf trip in April. Find that warm water!

Zooport

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2017, 05:18:09 AM »
GusD, you could look on Craigslist ahead of time and see if there are any boards you could get on the cheap.  The problem is it is often a long process to sell a board.  There are so many for sale.  IMO, easy to buy, hard to sell.  You could probably buy, use and then abandon a beat up board without spending as much as you would renting a board somewhere. 
8'6 Soul Compass
9'1 Sunova Creek
9'6 WaveStorm SUP
9'8 Starboard Element

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal