Author Topic: Portable, Electric Pump for iSUP (for air travel)  (Read 5311 times)

Quickbeam

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
Portable, Electric Pump for iSUP (for air travel)
« on: December 04, 2017, 02:03:10 PM »
I’m wondering if there is such a thing as a portable electric pump for an iSUP? I’ve done a bit of looking and haven’t found much, so thought I’d ask here to see if anyone has any knowledge of one. And when I say portable, I’m talking about it being small enough that I could take the pump in my luggage on a plane trip. So it would need to be fairly light and compact. Would also want it to pump to a minimum of 15 p.s.i., preferably to 18 p.s.i.

I do have an electric pump, and I’m sure it would be classed as portable, but it is still pretty heavy and would also take a fair bit of room in my suitcase. So I’m just trying to go as light and small as I can.

And if no such animal exists, then I guess I’ll just have to use a hand pump. I don’t mind hand pumping a board, but we’ll probably have two boards, and I may have to hand pump each day, so that will no doubt get a little tiresome.
Infinity Blackfish 12’ 6” x 23”
ONE SUP Evo 12’ 6” x 24”
Infinity Whiplash 12' 6" x 24 1/2"
ONE SUP Evo 12’ 6” x 26”
Bark Competitor 12’ 6” x 29”
Red Paddle Explorer (Inflatable) 13' 2" x 30
Starboard Airline (Inflatable) 12’ 6” x 27

Green Water Sports

• Site Sponsor
  • Peahi Status
  • https://greenwatersports.com
    • View Profile
    • Green Water Sports - Inflatable SUP boards & stand up paddle boards & more
Re: Portable, Electric Pump for iSUP (for air travel)
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2017, 04:11:38 PM »
Which electric pump do you have now?  I get a lot of requests for electric pumps and I’m narrowing down my search for one to stock, so interested in your feedback.
Julian
https://greenwatersports.com
Green Water Sports LLC - Inflatable SUP boards & stand up paddle boards & more. Call us on 1-888-252-4983
Red Paddle Co, Starboard, SIC Maui, Tahe, Naish, Fanatic, Accent Paddles, Onyx, FCS, Vamo

Quickbeam

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2017, 06:38:03 PM »
Hi Julian,

The one I currently have came from Canadian Tire. I’ll try and provide a link for you (http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/motomaster-12v-120v-dual-power-inflator-0095097p.html).

To be honest, I hardly ever use it. First of all, I don’t use my inflatable boards all that much, and when I do, I normally just hand pump them and then leave them inflated for a while. When I have used this pump though, it has worked well and can reach pressures of over 20 p.s.i.

Like I said in my original post, it would be nice to find something lighter and smaller that I could take on a vacation we will be going on later next year. I am anticipating I’ll need to deflate the boards every day, and therefore re-inflate them again the next day. I’m thinking an electric pump might come in handy for this.
ONE SUP Evo 12’ 6” x 24”
ONE SUP Evo 12’ 6” x 26”

connector14

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2017, 08:42:16 PM »
I wonder if it would be practical to just rent a scuba tank and filler attachment that you could simply return to the local shop when you are through with it. An 80 cu.ft. tank would probably do a number of fills before needing a refill. Just be sure to use a pressure guage to insure you don't over-inflate.
"never leave the dock without your paddle"
Imagine Rocket 14 ...my new favorite, smooth and fast and lite
2018 Red Paddle 14 x 27 Elite
2014 Bark Dominator 14....smooth and quiet
2014 Imagine Connector 14...the "barge"

eDUBz

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
@rf.boardworks

deepmud

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2017, 11:20:14 PM »
have this:
https://www.amazon.com/Sevylor-15-PSI-Water-Sport-Pump/dp/B00HN93D8M/ref=pd_sbs_200_1?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B00HN93D8M&pd_rd_r=BCR9E71P8JH89SAFXVE7&pd_rd_w=80BUG&pd_rd_wg=TXKkO&psc=1&refRID=BCR9E71P8JH89SAFXVE7
it works fine but 15psi max. very light. high volume esp compared to a car tire inflator pump

thinking of this:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0747639TR/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A1UO35WMPGSNL2
goes to 20psi

both require a car to plug into for power.

many more on Amazon some with built in batteries but that could raise issues for flying.

Quickbeam

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2017, 03:05:45 PM »
Thanks so much for the replies and the different ideas.

Connector 14, I hadn’t thought of using a scuba tank, and that might be a very good idea. I did a search on the Zone and found a couple of links where this is discussed (https://www.standupzone.com/forum/index.php/topic,32311.0.html) and (https://www.standupzone.com/forum/index.php/topic,31038.0.html). So if all else fails, I will look into this further.

I think for now though, I’m going to look into deepmud’s suggestion for the pump he is thinking of getting (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0747639TR?tag=viglink21584-20). This looks pretty promising. It looks small, but I don’t see anything that lists dimensions. I’ll contact the manufacturer to find out the actual size. I also want something that I can plug into a wall socket, but I found some adaptors online. There are a number of different ones like this (https://www.bestbuy.com/site/wagan-travelers-power-adapter-black/5700712.p?skuId=5700712) that I think should work.

So I’ll first of all find out the size of the pump, and if it is small enough I think I’ll go ahead and get it. If I do get it, I’ll report back and let you all know how it works.

Thanks again to everyone who took the time to reply. Very much appreciated.
ONE SUP Evo 12’ 6” x 24”
ONE SUP Evo 12’ 6” x 26”

Alkasazi

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2017, 04:06:01 PM »
I've been using this one for a while & been pretty happy with it. just let it cool off between boards:
https://www.outdoorplay.com/Airhead-Super-High-Pressure-Air-Pump

and for a manual pump, Red's Titan does a great job. I've travelled with this rolled up in my board more than any other pump:
https://www.outdoorplay.com/Red-Paddle-Co-Titan-SUP-Pump
SUP monkey @ Outdoorplay

current boards:
KPO Design Yampa 10
Imagine Connector
Red Elite 14

connector14

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2017, 05:14:16 PM »
The Airhead pump looks promising until I read that max pressure is 20 psi. I pump my Red Paddle Race 14 to 25 PSI. I use the Red Titan pump to get it to 20 or so and then I have a Black and Decker portable drill operated pump that takes it to my goal of 25 psi.
The Black and Decker is a Matrix 20V drill body and Black and Decker has a "compressor attachment" for it that can fill tires etc. I haven't tried using it to fill my board from scratch.....I think it would take too long and probably be hard on the drill. But for topping off to 25 it works fine. Haven't had this for long,  only used it a few times as I keep my board inflated at home ready to go. So far so good. And I have used it to top off my car tires to 40 psi and it works...albeit a bit slower than I expected. But it is a very small transportable package that I keep in the car for emergency use with the car.
"never leave the dock without your paddle"
Imagine Rocket 14 ...my new favorite, smooth and fast and lite
2018 Red Paddle 14 x 27 Elite
2014 Bark Dominator 14....smooth and quiet
2014 Imagine Connector 14...the "barge"

krash

• Rincon Status
  • Old fugger who loves to fish
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2017, 07:43:07 AM »
Never tried one, but it seems you could just go to any local auto store or Wallymart type store and purchase a pump that would do the job, tire pumps hit 30psi, for like $20 or less and toss it or play it forward to someone rather than worry about travelling with the pump.

Here in Florida/US you can pull inot most any gas/service station and with 4 quarters use the not so free anymore air pump. I'd guess you could also walk into most any tire shop, or any shop with air tools and for a couple bucks talk your way into free air.
Old fugger who just likes to fish

deepmud

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2017, 12:44:55 PM »
Nothing at Walmart/Auto store that runs on 12v is doing the volume we need. The small car-tire pumps have teeny little pistons - and go up to very high psi (eventually) - I'd avoid anything that says "150psi!!" or "220psi!!" - they are not going to be a high volume pump.

The links I posted have large diameter pistons (and hoses) to flow a lot of air quickly.
Problem is, once you get to 10psi they the cheap-ish pumps slow way down and at least the one I have takes a long time to get to 15psi.

I don't think an inexpensive 110v to 12v adapter will run the amps you need to do this in the hotel wall socket. I'm 100% the one in your link will not. I think if you wan to use 110v, you can use a 110v  compressor - but they get big and bulky again.

It's hard to beat the pumps powered by humans we do the transition from high volume to high pressure pretty well. If you don't have a rental car to use for 12v power I think you will have to stick with human powered.

If space is primary instead of wanting electricity to do the work you might get a better manual pump - K-pump?

https://greenwatersports.com/3542/4-of-the-best-inflatable-sup-pumps-tested

Quickbeam

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2017, 02:19:34 PM »
Nothing at Walmart/Auto store that runs on 12v is doing the volume we need. The small car-tire pumps have teeny little pistons - and go up to very high psi (eventually) - I'd avoid anything that says "150psi!!" or "220psi!!" - they are not going to be a high volume pump.

The links I posted have large diameter pistons (and hoses) to flow a lot of air quickly.
Problem is, once you get to 10psi they the cheap-ish pumps slow way down and at least the one I have takes a long time to get to 15psi.

I don't think an inexpensive 110v to 12v adapter will run the amps you need to do this in the hotel wall socket. I'm 100% the one in your link will not. I think if you wan to use 110v, you can use a 110v  compressor - but they get big and bulky again.

It's hard to beat the pumps powered by humans we do the transition from high volume to high pressure pretty well. If you don't have a rental car to use for 12v power I think you will have to stick with human powered.

If space is primary instead of wanting electricity to do the work you might get a better manual pump - K-pump?

https://greenwatersports.com/3542/4-of-the-best-inflatable-sup-pumps-tested

Hi Deepmud,

Yes, you are absolutely correct in what you are saying in your post.

And as to the 110v to 12v adapter I was looking at, you are once again correct that it will not work. I also looked at a couple of other adapters and they also wouldn’t work, so I’m assuming I’m just not going to find one.

So I’m pretty well back to square one, although I am going to do a bit more research on the possibility of using a scuba tank.

As for a manual pump, I already have Red’s “Titan” pump. It is a very good pump and when I use my inflatable board, it’s the pump I use. But if I’m correct and while on vacation I need to deflate 2 boards at the end of each day, and then re-inflate again the next day, that is more “manual pumping” than I’d like to do. If I have to I obviously will, but if there is another way I’d like to find it.
ONE SUP Evo 12’ 6” x 24”
ONE SUP Evo 12’ 6” x 26”

deepmud

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2017, 04:28:13 PM »
If you get a "airbed" pump of some kind, it will do the first fill to "filled but no real pressure" pretty quick, and they have small 110V and small 12v to choose from - it would save some of the pumping and sweat :D. If you had one of the 2 pumps I linked above, you could fill one while you pumped manually the other - they are pretty fast to 10 psi - and you could fill one board from 10 to 20, about then the 2nd one would maybe be at 15psi for you to finish to 20. I bet it would save you 10 -15 minutes of pumping :D

Will a rental car 12v plug be an option? They do make pumps with onboard battery....still about 15 minutes to 15psi.

Co2?  $$ but very high volume since you start with a liquid....

https://www.amazon.com/Smittybilt-2747-Power-Regulator-Fittings/dp/B003EP0SCS/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1512606476&sr=8-5&keywords=co2+air+tank

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal