Author Topic: Who won 2017 Nautic SUP Paris Crossing?  (Read 6878 times)

comeu

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Who won 2017 Nautic SUP Paris Crossing?
« on: December 03, 2017, 07:27:49 PM »
Dec 3th was held “the biggest SUP race of the world” with 700 paddlers on the Seine river...
13km through Paris and tight finish between Bruno Hasulyo and Arthur Arutkin. Organizers gave one as the winner then changed one minute after...
Casper finished 3rd.
A.Arutkin is the official winner, Susak Molinero won the women’s race for the 2nd time.

In fact I don’t really care about who win, both Arutkin and Hasulyo are great athletes, but it looks kind amateurish from the “biggest SUP
Race in the world “ .

FloridaWindSUP

• Sunset Status
  • Marine Biologist, Riviera Paddlesurf Ambassador
    • View Profile
    • James' Blog
Re: Who won 2017 Nautic SUP Paris Crossing?
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2017, 12:14:37 PM »
In the livestream it looked like Hasulyo's nose hit the line first, maybe half a meter before Arutkin's nose, but it was kind of hard to tell because the line was obscured behind a buoy arch, and the video camera wasn't looking directly from the side. 

I reckon they owe it to the competitors to at least show the photo that they used to decide the photo finish.
14x23 Riviera RP
14x27.25 Fanatic Falcon
11'8 Exocet WindSUP
10'4 Angulo WindSUP
...and a bunch of windsurf stuff

yugi

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2017, 03:54:03 AM »
I imagine it was so cold that the organizers preferred to have their hands in their pockets instead of holding a camera.

So therefore everybody is a winner.

If they did publish a results list I sure can't find it. But I'm hardly surprised. It's France, they probably got busy on the afterparty.

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2017, 06:51:38 AM »
Bizarre....how can a race that big not use RFID tags or something and how do they not have a video camera focused with a clear view of the finish? Of course maybe they do and just haven't shown it yet. Racers tend to be very self centered and can be very demanding and un-sympathetic to glitches. Instantaneous results are the expectation. A race this big is going to generate controversy almost regardless of what you do so making sure you've done all you can to avoid to reduce the potential will save the organizers some stress..
« Last Edit: December 05, 2017, 07:01:45 AM by stoneaxe »
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

ukgm

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2017, 09:55:25 AM »
In the livestream it looked like Hasulyo's nose hit the line first, maybe half a meter before Arutkin's nose, but it was kind of hard to tell because the line was obscured behind a buoy arch, and the video camera wasn't looking directly from the side. 

I reckon they owe it to the competitors to at least show the photo that they used to decide the photo finish.

You'd think half a metre is large enough to call it by eye without the need for a camera. You wouldn't pull that back with a late surge or being obscured.

Eagle

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2017, 11:17:40 AM »

You'd think half a metre is large enough to call it by eye without the need for a camera. You wouldn't pull that back with a late surge or being obscured.

The vid shows the line pretty clear especially if you factor in the perspective.  The race organizers and committee should review this footage that is available.  Hopefully there is a clear photo showing who crossed the line first.  Bruno was def not a happy camper when he was told he came in second.  But it did look like someone was on the line taking a photo or vid.  Hmm?
« Last Edit: December 05, 2017, 12:16:00 PM by Eagle »
Fast is FUN!   8)
Dominator - Touring Pintail - Bullet V2 - M14 - AS23

supnorte

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • SUP Norte
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2017, 01:22:06 PM »
Watching the live feed from TotalSUP I would say that Bruno won it. If the organizers says that the winner is Arthur (and they have someone on the finish line), they should provide some sort of evidence. I the time difference between Bruno and Arthur is not real.

You can check the final sprint (and both athlets having to deal with several obstacles, specially Bruno) on this video: https://www.facebook.com/totalsupofficial/videos/698490903693669/ See from 1.22.00

Eagle

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2017, 02:13:41 PM »
Yep.  To keep the scoring honest they need to provide something -> otherwise the reputation of the race and race committee will be somewhat tarnished moving forward.

DH - "Unless there is a legitimate photo-finish that proves the result, this is a lie!"

PW - "Attention people, these people are scammers"

TDk - " if it's in france, then they will always see that a french guy can win... that's just how they are.."

Very strong harsh words from his brother and others.  But does seem proper and prudent to come forward with a photo or video confirming who actually crossed the line first.  Based on the vid it looks like Bruno still has reason to be pissed.  The attitude of the race official on the boat after changing the result was interesting to say the least.

Would have expected -> we may need to take a bit of time to review as this looks too close to call.  So will get back to you after we check the photos and video footage.  Unfortunately did not get that.  So Bruno may be SOL.

However since this live feed footage is floating in cyberspace for all to see -> it might stir the pot a bit.  Strange things happen.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2017, 02:44:12 PM by Eagle »
Fast is FUN!   8)
Dominator - Touring Pintail - Bullet V2 - M14 - AS23

ukgm

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2017, 11:47:06 AM »
You can check the final sprint (and both athlets having to deal with several obstacles, specially Bruno) on this video: https://www.facebook.com/totalsupofficial/videos/698490903693669/ See from 1.22.00

Even with the angle and obstacles, it looks pretty obvious to me that Bruno won that.

comeu

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2017, 08:08:24 PM »
Yes, from what we can see online, Bruno was 1st. Last year, it took 2 hours to the organizers of the Paris Crossing to decide who was 2 and 3, it was between Arthur and Martin Vitry...
add to that the fact that some pro-riders weren’t oriented in the current when the start was given...
They should simply make a fun race

yugi

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile

ukgm

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2017, 02:05:11 AM »
really?

http://my1.raceresult.com/86751/?lang=en#1_4AE457

One thing is for sure, in any sport whereby a photo finish takes place, it is always publicised for transparency. Examples of this I know of are 100m athletics, bunch sprint finishes at the Tour de France and horse derby's. In this case though, no evidence has been produced for the decision and if I were Starboard (and being the largest race on the planet) I would formally protest this. The fact that a french paddler has been awarded a controversial decision in a french race produces a suggestion of national favouritism so this should be ruled out through transparency by showing the photo.

yugi

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2017, 05:41:17 AM »
Their "bouncy castle" blow-up finish gate is nicely visible for racers but not practical for photo finishes. A GoPro duct taped on the inside (with WiFi relay to a PC) would easily solve the problem.

In other words a camera is useless unless in-line with the finish.

ukgm

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2017, 09:40:53 AM »
I think that race wasn't close enough that the winner and loser wouldn't know who they were.

JEG

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2017, 12:45:18 PM »
that's how they roll in France!

* Recent Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal