Author Topic: River Foil Surf  (Read 33651 times)

Sam the Surfer

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: River Foil Surf
« Reply #60 on: January 02, 2019, 06:52:34 PM »
I bet that tiny board is helping you make the zillion adjustments necessary for the crazy river water. Very impressive.
Opie,

Yes the board makes a huge difference (shape, length, and size). It was specifically designed for the river but works amazing on the ocean as well.

I think the river water wave is super dynamic that makes the challenge different depending on what break and shape of wave. Flying at 10” on the river felt similar to flying at 2 feet and the main thing is that it’s super fun!! Mast height and position can now be adjusted based on the break and depth of water!!

Beasho

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: January 04, 2019, 11:19:20 AM »
I continue to learn more as the journey continues. . . . put on a front foot strap which is essential on the river. While the mast is only 10" on this set-up (to get into the wave) it was still flying and with the shape of the board, it wasn't getting sucked down into the pile. It's a little like surfing the whitewash of an ocean wave (my only reference is SanO) but 100's harder (haha).

Watching the video it looks like you are constantly rocking and rolling on the foil. 

I have been Professing the Benefits of Footstraps for 6+ months now.  What you are showing is how critical the footstrap is to control, at a minimum, in the whitewater. 

Can you comment on how much more important the strap is to NOT having a strap?

I liken your video / experience to taking off in a critically steep whitewater wave situation.  The front STRAP makes a huge difference in these environments among others like turning and control at speed.

Sam the Surfer

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #62 on: January 05, 2019, 08:24:59 AM »
I continue to learn more as the journey continues. . . . put on a front foot strap which is essential on the river. While the mast is only 10" on this set-up (to get into the wave) it was still flying and with the shape of the board, it wasn't getting sucked down into the pile. It's a little like surfing the whitewash of an ocean wave (my only reference is SanO) but 100's harder (haha).

Watching the video it looks like you are constantly rocking and rolling on the foil. 

I have been Professing the Benefits of Footstraps for 6+ months now.  What you are showing is how critical the footstrap is to control, at a minimum, in the whitewater. 

Can you comment on how much more important the strap is to NOT having a strap?

I liken your video / experience to taking off in a critically steep whitewater wave situation.  The front STRAP makes a huge difference in these environments among others like turning and control at speed.

The front strap is critical in the river for several reasons:
1) the take off. Standing on a rock and pushing into a wave, the strap put your foot exactly where it needs to be. It also holds the board like a hand (if you watch the video, my toes are barely in the strap to keep the board and wings away from the rocks below)
2) The ferry is a challenge because crossing the seam (where the water flow changes from going upstream to down stream) tips and rocks the board. The foot strap holds my foot to keep the board from ripping.
3) Once in the wave, the side to side rocking and forward and back in turbulent water, I use the upper ward part of my foot to stabilize the board

I would consider a rear strap as well but would be a real challenge in the whitewater. I tested a few times without a strap and figured out where my foot goes and have had way more success with the strap (that’s why I read the thread).

Foot straps are the real deal!!

Sam the Surfer

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #63 on: January 05, 2019, 01:28:01 PM »
Beasho- today’s foil illistrates the importance of a front foot strap on the river!! It’s amazing to fly in he river!! The journey continues!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k6rSEAiTo8A
« Last Edit: January 05, 2019, 01:30:21 PM by Sam the Surfer »

Sam the Surfer

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #64 on: February 17, 2019, 07:35:52 PM »
EPIC day on to foil on the river!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dDbEKuZYFYc&t=13s

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #65 on: February 17, 2019, 08:58:11 PM »
Ripping it Sam! You've got your niche surfing spot my friend. You don't have to worry about line-up hassles from prone river surfers. You go head first into that freezing 33.1 degree water and you'll get worst brain freeze of your life. I think I'd stay with a shorter mast. Doing a high dive nose plunge into rocks makes it double scary. Hats off to you...
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

Sam the Surfer

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #66 on: February 18, 2019, 07:41:30 AM »
Ripping it Sam! You've got your niche surfing spot my friend. You don't have to worry about line-up hassles from prone river surfers. You go head first into that freezing 33.1 degree water and you'll get worst brain freeze of your life. I think I'd stay with a shorter mast. Doing a high dive nose plunge into rocks makes it double scary. Hats off to you...

Haha! The line up was small today! :) 25 degree air helps... and the short 10" mast puts the wings in the right spot for lift. It's really interesting that foil surfing the river that often the foil us pointed up out of hole/dip (you can see that dynamic on the close up). The short board and shape help with this and the 36" wing.

The first part of the clip I'm using the paddle to help my front foot get in place in the strap (for BEASHO  ;D). Although specifically designed for river foiling, the board and foil assembly (with a 25" mast) were awesome on the ocean!!

skideeppow

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #67 on: March 12, 2019, 09:05:35 AM »
Stumbled onto this thread.  I live in CO, about 20 min from the Glenwood Springs wave park.  I currently kite foil, have a number of different wings but have been using the moses 633 and 483 rear stablizer with a 91cm and 111cm mast.  I also have a SLingshot 76cm with 24 inch mast.  That is probably what i would use for the river.

Here is video of the glenwood wave, water speeds seem a lot faster than what you are riding. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6lOyCHeJMkA#action=share

Video of kite foiling, board size is 4'2", on a moses 633, 9 m kite in 18 mph winds.

https://youtu.be/ApUOBK5svF8

We have had record snows, so am expecting water levels to reach in the 20k range. 

The eddy i pop in from is full of rocks.

So i dont even know where to begin.  I would probably need a new board,  and then the question is how to get on this wave.  Rope might be best?  I know the saftey issues, but i could have someone posted on the rope with a quick release.

Any thoughts?

Sam the Surfer

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #68 on: March 13, 2019, 08:57:09 PM »
Stumbled onto this thread.  I live in CO, about 20 min from the Glenwood Springs wave park.  I currently kite foil, have a number of different wings but have been using the moses 633 and 483 rear stablizer with a 91cm and 111cm mast.  I also have a SLingshot 76cm with 24 inch mast.  That is probably what i would use for the river.

Here is video of the glenwood wave, water speeds seem a lot faster than what you are riding. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6lOyCHeJMkA#action=share

Video of kite foiling, board size is 4'2", on a moses 633, 9 m kite in 18 mph winds.

https://youtu.be/ApUOBK5svF8

We have had record snows, so am expecting water levels to reach in the 20k range. 

The eddy i pop in from is full of rocks.

So i dont even know where to begin.  I would probably need a new board,  and then the question is how to get on this wave.  Rope might be best?  I know the saftey issues, but i could have someone posted on the rope with a quick release.

Any thoughts?

A few thoughts:

- the wave in the video I was surfing was really low levels (ideal at 6,000) and it was only around 2,900 cfs. The entry is super shallow so I used the 10 inch strut.
- I use several different strut/mast lengths (10, 15, 20, 23 inch) depending on the depth of the entry and river wave.
- higher flowing waves fly better. Either way, a huge front is key with a rear wing that glides (I didn't have a lot of success with the 'v' shaped rear wing because it didn't provide enough lift).
- a super light and short board are key to fit in the pocket.

It's an interesting concept though because I flew the famous Lochsa Pipeline river wave (where Kai Lenny prone foiled) and the entry would only allow a 15" strut even though the wave was deeper. I have a lot more to learn about strut/mast length because it isn't always about riding the longest one due to the water dynamics. The 10" seems to put the wings in the right spot most of the time.

I choose to not use ropes or any assistance and have learned how to paddle in, prone and stand up etc. The current set-up was over a year and a half of testing and finally have a set up that is adjustable, flies, and is super responsive!! This same set-up works awesome in the ocean as well and I've learned that flying is flying!! Ocean waves are amazing and river waves are amazing as well!! The set-up is a King's Paddle Board (5' 4" X 32" carbon) and foil assembly (with a 36" custom front wing and glide rear).

I highly recommend putting a front footstrap on- it's a real game changer!! I haven't put a rear one on yet because I'm worried about being stuck in it and trying to kick into it would be a challenge. Also, I find the river wave to be a huge challenge because of the water dynamics.

Hope this helps!!

Ben

Sam the Surfer

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #69 on: March 31, 2019, 05:25:15 PM »
The water is picking up CFS as the snow melts. Here is a great shot on the 15” strut!

SUPeter

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #70 on: April 18, 2019, 07:24:50 PM »
Had a great session today and if all goes well, I might even be able to share video.  One of those days where all the right things came together for a damn good time.  The right wing, the right mast, the right board, the right river flow, the right skills, and the right wave.   Had maybe 15 to 20 rides which typically ended with my quads burning from maintaining a low stance to suck up the dreaded boils.  Going back for more while the snowmelt continues to flood our rivers.

4/MQGX1BLLdM_sFNtT-v4IeY2nqG_D-sIGsA8ven4TLUgWCnhsMJYxNH0
« Last Edit: April 18, 2019, 07:27:23 PM by SUPeter »

SUPeter

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #71 on: April 19, 2019, 10:57:46 AM »
Yes,  I am an idiot when it comes to this shit.  I’ll try posting video again

https://youtu.be/rJG4oaw863s

Hope it works this time.

SUPeter

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #72 on: April 19, 2019, 11:21:50 AM »
Here is another short clip
https://youtu.be/zJzHaIZ-cuc

Sam the Surfer

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #73 on: April 19, 2019, 05:58:13 PM »
Awesome! Looks like a super nice green wave!

Sam the Surfer

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #74 on: April 20, 2019, 07:02:35 AM »
Here is a clip from last weekend on the famous Pipeline wave. It was so shallow that the 10” strut was hitting rocks on entry. It was my first successful air drop (not intentional) haha. Also, it took almost 2 hours I get this wave.  :o

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ILHPdmcPX0U
« Last Edit: April 20, 2019, 07:10:31 AM by Sam the Surfer »

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal