Author Topic: River Foil Surf  (Read 33654 times)

Sam the Surfer

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: River Foil Surf
« Reply #45 on: June 03, 2018, 09:15:59 PM »
Nice ride!  Yeah! Its really hard!  So much has to be perfect. Water speed, turbulence, wing size...
I managed to get down to the standing wave yesterday, wave was almost non-existent due to small tide and bad winds but was able to get the foil gliding nonetheless.  Really would have been nice to have my thick wing since my wing was outrunning the wave.  Its easy to get them to go faster(pumping) but slowing them down is near impossible.  Gotta do that by adding wing thickness.  Thick wing is only days from being ready and then the tide phase should be good for some better rides. I really struggle with this video thing but managed to get one downloaded to You Tube.  Now if only I could get it to show up here.  I know- Go back and read the directions someone so kindly sent to me.

https://youtu.be/xLwNiyHsNNs

River Wave Foiling on You Tube

SUPeater- if you would like, I'd be more than happy to test the wing you are trying out!! :) Serious!! What set-up are you on?

SUPeter

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #46 on: June 04, 2018, 09:55:18 AM »
My new short mast is 21 inches but I have probably 5 feet of water depth to play with.  Most of my difficulty was the amount of turbulence encountered the deeper I went.  My 33 inch mast was far too long.  As far as the set up I'm on, you can see it by going to the "Diy sup foil" page on this forum, pages 44-47, I think!  Pics of it there

SUPeter

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #47 on: June 09, 2018, 06:37:22 AM »
Thick foil works far better except for it being more influenced by turbulence and boils making it more difficult to control at times.  Pumping does the trick for elevating the foil and bringing it back to the top of wave where its in coast mode all the way to the bottom.  If it were not for the amount of kelp at the shoulder entrance I would have tried to paddle onto it.  Tide is still not yet optimal for a big wave and a big shoulder but I'm sure it'll be fun trying.  Still having trouble getting this You tube address into attachment area.

4/AABiQOmztQ7u-YsI7R_ZUmNoPtPfwwuTz6okN7EeaJAg3oS4hOT9o5k

Sam the Surfer

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #48 on: June 09, 2018, 02:38:37 PM »
Like the ocean, this wave was mushy and too small to surf... except on a foil!! Used the shorter 15 inch strut because of the rocks. Super fun and the journey continues!!

https://youtu.be/HsIEzgm-NdA
« Last Edit: June 09, 2018, 02:42:00 PM by Sam the Surfer »

Sam the Surfer

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #49 on: June 13, 2018, 05:00:52 PM »
The journey continues!! Finding the balance on a slower moving wave for the river has been a great learning experience. Using the smaller 15 inch strut is necessary for the catch (it's shallow on the push off). The thread on pumping has me excited because it makes sense to lift your knees up to become 'weightless' and have the foil lift up and then weight down.
The larger 32 inch front wing makes a difference!! In this wave, I think an even bigger wing would help create more lift. The lighter board and shorter board is a difference maker. The board is about 14 lbs and is 6'3".
I'm finding simply trying to paddle into the wave is 1/2 the battle!! Push off and pop up and then paddle with your feet in the right spot is a great challenge. I'm also finding that all river waves are not equal. Some waves have fast moving water create them and others do not.
I appreciate the support from this forum to help continue to learn, grow, and progress!! Please share if you see something that could help my form!!

https://youtu.be/Cwj6lR9b1XQ

Califoilia

• Axis Demo Rep
  • Teahupoo Status
  • San Clemente
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #50 on: June 13, 2018, 06:28:10 PM »
I think your form is pretty dang good all things considered (that river stuff looks insane), and while I don't currently use one...from watching what you're doing, and the height and attitude of the board...I get the feeling watching, that if anyone could use a rear foot strap I'd say it would be you...especially given the "unweighting" idea of it helping you unweight/lift the rear end and foil for just that little bit more added lift that I think might get you flying a little higher on the rear end, and just a little more level all the way around.

Now I say that not knowing the potential problem of adding an additional foot to get hung up in a strap in less than ideal conditions given all the rocks and boulders under there making your "wave". So that's definitely a safety consideration or evaluation before strapping in all the way.

Either way, best of luck with the continuing success you're seeing, and thanks for the clips...so fun to watch something that I can't imagine even being possible paddling in like you do, but you're definitely doing it, and it's amazing to see. So cool.
Me: 6'1"/185...(2) 5'1" Kings Foil/Wing Boards...7'10 Kings DW Board...9'6" Bob Pearson "Laird Noserider"...14' Lahui Kai "Manta"...8'0" WaveStorm if/when the proning urges still hit.

SUPeter

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #51 on: June 14, 2018, 05:40:04 PM »
Sorry!  Getting this post back to where it belongs.  Somehow got off track and onto a new thread.

Todays wave was not as big as I had hoped.  Focused on releasing the rope with both paddle and no paddle.  I had better luck without the paddle at times and at times the paddle helped.  Only managed to get a short clip of a no paddle ride.  I have a long ways to go before this gets easy.  So many different forces involved, boils, turbulence and wave size.  I was just happy to get short little rides and hope they get longer in the future. 

http://youtu.be/ewdBDL1VSGo

Sam the Surfer

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #52 on: June 14, 2018, 06:21:07 PM »
I think your form is pretty dang good all things considered (that river stuff looks insane), and while I don't currently use one...from watching what you're doing, and the height and attitude of the board...I get the feeling watching, that if anyone could use a rear foot strap I'd say it would be you...especially given the "unweighting" idea of it helping you unweight/lift the rear end and foil for just that little bit more added lift that I think might get you flying a little higher on the rear end, and just a little more level all the way around.

Now I say that not knowing the potential problem of adding an additional foot to get hung up in a strap in less than ideal conditions given all the rocks and boulders under there making your "wave". So that's definitely a safety consideration or evaluation before strapping in all the way.

Either way, best of luck with the continuing success you're seeing, and thanks for the clips...so fun to watch something that I can't imagine even being possible paddling in like you do, but you're definitely doing it, and it's amazing to see. So cool.

Sano- Good idea on the rear binding. I put the stick' em ones on that Pono had suggested for the front and could put those on for the back. In some cases, have had to take the strap off (entering the wave with the opposite push off, if that makes sense). They aren't in the way when off. Thanks for the suggestion!!

Hopefully, King's will come out with a larger front wing soon, I hear they are coming out with a complete foil set-up very soon.

Sam the Surfer

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #53 on: June 26, 2018, 08:51:38 PM »
Derek, Dave, and I took to the famous Pipeline Wave on the Lochsa River. Had some success on the river foil and the adventure continues...

https://youtu.be/y54-Mjjyri0
« Last Edit: June 26, 2018, 08:53:34 PM by Sam the Surfer »

SUPeter

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #54 on: June 27, 2018, 05:33:00 AM »
Really nice!  Both the ride and the wave.  Not sure if water depth permits a longer mast but if you had one the rides might even be longer but then again that introduces a bit more difficulty in other areas.  Such a cool looking spot.  Where are you?  Looks like you are all having lotsa fun!

Sam the Surfer

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #55 on: June 28, 2018, 08:11:48 AM »
Really nice!  Both the ride and the wave.  Not sure if water depth permits a longer mast but if you had one the rides might even be longer but then again that introduces a bit more difficulty in other areas.  Such a cool looking spot.  Where are you?  Looks like you are all having lotsa fun!

Sano- The wings were touching rocks on take-off so a longer mast wouldn't have worked, however, on the wave it would have been nice!! The wave is on the Lochsa River in Idaho and called the "Pipeline" because it breaks. One of the top river waves in the world in an amazing setting!!

Looking forward to trying a 5'9" foil board from Hydrus... should be here tomorrow. :) 

SUPeter

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #56 on: June 29, 2018, 09:56:05 AM »
I thought it looked familiar.  Same wave Kai Lenny got on with his foil.  Still waiting for the video.  Have fun.

Sam the Surfer

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #57 on: October 05, 2018, 06:58:59 PM »
So stoked!! Kings Foils are officially available!! Attached is a picture of the set up, I have a 36 inch front wing (the liquid force has the 32) with 15, 20, and 25 inch masts for different water levels. The 25 inch works great for the ocean, boats, and deep river waves. Can’t wait to try the big 36er out!!

Sam the Surfer

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #58 on: January 01, 2019, 06:56:40 PM »
I continue to learn more as the journey continues. Thanks to Beasho for showing me how to properly put on a front foot strap which is essential on the river. While the mast is only 10" on this set-up (to get into the wave) it was still flying and with the shape of the board, it wasn't getting sucked down into the pile. It's a little like surfing the whitewash of an ocean wave (my only reference is SanO) but 100's harder (haha). As the waves and different breaks clean up, it will be fun to see what this will do and in the meantime, have a lot of fun on the wave(s) that are in. :)

Below is the write-up from today:
The King's Carbon River Foil Board is super light (and short ~5'4") with a King's Foil Set up that has a 36" front wing, glide rear wing, and multiple mast lengths depending on river depth (10", 15", 20", and 25"). I flew the 25" on this same set-up in the ocean at SanO last month. The wave was previously 'unfoilable' because of the shallow entry and low water flow (3,030 cfs) along with it being a 'pile' or whitewater wave. This set-up worked awesome and flew (even when part of the board was touching the whitewash)... super fun and excited for the possibility of getting into even more waves!! 1-1-19

www.youtube.com/watch?v=TDzXDiUAkfI

« Last Edit: January 01, 2019, 06:58:59 PM by Sam the Surfer »

opie

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #59 on: January 01, 2019, 08:24:01 PM »
I bet that tiny board is helping you make the zillion adjustments necessary for the crazy river water. Very impressive.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal