Author Topic: River Foil Surf  (Read 33659 times)

Sam the Surfer

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: River Foil Surf
« Reply #30 on: May 29, 2018, 08:41:41 PM »
Finally! success!  Foiling with the new short mast helped considerably.  I used a rope to lower next to the face of the large wave and, with great trepidation, foiled over to the wave face.  Yes the turbulence was very noticeable but nowhere near the violence of my earlier attempts with the long mast,  I never did let go of the rope but would allow it to go slack for longer and longer segments of time.  The rope and associated leverage allowed me to maneuver quickly around boils to avoid the harsher bumps.   Absolutely the most fun I have ever had foiling at this site, a standing wave created by the incoming tide.  My biggest mistake was not having a go pro handy.  I will be going again so maybe footage will follow.  Any hints on settings so that the video can be downloaded  to this site?  Again, any time a rope is used in moving water, we must always have plans A, B and C.  A quick release leash which I wear on my arm.  Being dragged head first is way safer than feet first.  A knife at the ready.  I really wish I could find some sort of rope release with an adjustable release at a certain pull poundage.  While dragging underwater a great deal of force is applied to the rope.  Don't ask me how I know.
A buddy nearby just to enact plan C.  I don't always have the buddy.  I once had a wake up call at this very place and the thought did cross my mind-  "So this is how it's going to end".

I cant tell you how excited I am about this recent success.  I was truly beginning to think foiling river waves was asking a bit too much!  While the bumps(boils)  can be vicious, most of them can be sucked up with your legs.

Why not paddle into the wave instead of using a rope?

surfercook

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Jersey Shore
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube
    • Email
« Reply #31 on: May 30, 2018, 06:02:16 PM »
Very cool. I don't think there are a whole lotta river foilers out there. GoPro video has to be uploaded to a host site, aka YouTube or Vimeo. I for one wanna see foiling on a river.
One could go into a mall in Kansas and ask a teenager "What is a surfer looking for?, and the answer will always be, "The perfect wave"
9'11" PSH Hull Ripper-145 ltr    
9'3" PSH  Hull Ripper- 130ltr 
8'0" Corevac Assassin -127 ltr   
Paddles- Carbonerro PRO SERIES 85 & Riviera Camo at 70"

Sam the Surfer

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #32 on: May 30, 2018, 07:27:00 PM »
Very cool. I don't think there are a whole lotta river foilers out there. GoPro video has to be uploaded to a host site, aka YouTube or Vimeo. I for one wanna see foiling on a river.

Here is one that was filmed with a GoPro from a side angle:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YyPXdml9vz8&app=desktop

Califoilia

• Axis Demo Rep
  • Teahupoo Status
  • San Clemente
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #33 on: May 30, 2018, 07:54:16 PM »
Sam, I'm always in awe, and so impressed that you'd even attempt foiling on a river....and even much more so that you're actual able to do it. My hat's off to you once again....you da man!!
Me: 6'1"/185...(2) 5'1" Kings Foil/Wing Boards...7'10 Kings DW Board...9'6" Bob Pearson "Laird Noserider"...14' Lahui Kai "Manta"...8'0" WaveStorm if/when the proning urges still hit.

surfercook

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Jersey Shore
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube
    • Email
« Reply #34 on: May 30, 2018, 09:23:57 PM »
Here is one that was filmed with a GoPro from a side angle:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YyPXdml9vz8&app=desktop
Nice. Thanx for posting that. Looks like a little too much work though for that short ride!  :P
One could go into a mall in Kansas and ask a teenager "What is a surfer looking for?, and the answer will always be, "The perfect wave"

SUPeter

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #35 on: May 31, 2018, 08:53:41 AM »
As far as paddling onto the wave.  That is my goal but the turbulence at the eddy line is problematic, not to mention I must paddle offside just to cross it.  At this point, I just wanted to know if long rides were possible on the wave itself.  Almost done making my thick wing.  A slower wing will definitely help, coupled with the short mast, I think some very long rides will be possible.  Thanks for the video, really cool!  I think a thicker wing would help you also.  Looks like the water speed it a might too slow for that wing.  BTW, do I need to set my gopro on a lesser image quality to be able to post it on this forum?  Not really sure how I am going  to do this.

surfercook

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Jersey Shore
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube
    • Email
« Reply #36 on: May 31, 2018, 09:40:05 AM »
BTW, do I need to set my gopro on a lesser image quality to be able to post it on this forum?  Not really sure how I am going  to do this.
I've been editing videos for more yrs than I care to remember. GoPro Quik is a free video editor and pretty easy to learn. After the video is edited you will have to "export" it into a more "friendly" file format. What's cool about the exported file is it plays WAY smoother at full screen. I always have great anticipation and excitement the first time I view a finished video.
But you will have to make a Youtube or Vimeo account and upload to there. Then share the link here on the forum. Also you can upload to Google Drive which offers a generous 15GB of storage for free.
good luck. It's a bit of a learning curve and takes a fair amount of patience to learn video editing. looking forward to seeing some river filing action!

https://shop.gopro.com/softwareandapp/quik-%7C-desktop/Quik-Desktop.html

https://support.google.com/youtube/answer/57407?co=GENIE.Platform%3DDesktop&hl=en

SUPeter

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #37 on: May 31, 2018, 05:40:36 PM »
Whoa!  I'm going to have to read that half a dozen times before it all sinks in.  Thank you very much for explaining the method of getting videos onto this site. 

surfercook

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Jersey Shore
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube
    • Email
« Reply #38 on: May 31, 2018, 09:32:05 PM »
Lol...just take your time.  Can't break anything. It's really easy after you do a few edits and uploads. I have like 100GB of raw footage to edit still! I lime your user name. My Dad's name was Peter.

Sam the Surfer

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #39 on: June 03, 2018, 07:26:29 AM »
The River Foil surfing adventure continues!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UPYJ7JaWuMU

surfercook

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Jersey Shore
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube
    • Email
« Reply #40 on: June 03, 2018, 07:45:54 AM »
I admire your determination but played the vid at double speed to try and see it in real time. That looks quite difficult.

SUPeter

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #41 on: June 03, 2018, 12:32:07 PM »
Nice ride!  Yeah! Its really hard!  So much has to be perfect. Water speed, turbulence, wing size...
I managed to get down to the standing wave yesterday, wave was almost non-existent due to small tide and bad winds but was able to get the foil gliding nonetheless.  Really would have been nice to have my thick wing since my wing was outrunning the wave.  Its easy to get them to go faster(pumping) but slowing them down is near impossible.  Gotta do that by adding wing thickness.  Thick wing is only days from being ready and then the tide phase should be good for some better rides. I really struggle with this video thing but managed to get one downloaded to You Tube.  Now if only I could get it to show up here.  I know- Go back and read the directions someone so kindly sent to me.

https://youtu.be/xLwNiyHsNNs

River Wave Foiling on You Tube

surfercook

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Jersey Shore
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube
    • Email
« Reply #42 on: June 03, 2018, 03:56:15 PM »
Wow...nice smooth river foiling! Would it be possible to trade the rope up for a paddle? Seems like you'd have alot more freedom then.

Now if only I could get it to show up here.  I know- Go back and read the directions someone so kindly sent to me.
lol...that was me! But remembering all the user names here can be difficult.

SUPeter

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #43 on: June 03, 2018, 04:47:06 PM »
Definitely yes on the paddle!  My thick wing is in the vacuum bag right now.  it is over 1.5 inches thick and my hope is that this will allow me enough lift at the lower speed of the river and also slow me down enough to not out run the wave.  All of my past foils have been too fast on this wave.   If its too slow I can just pump.  I am very excited to try this new wing.  If this one does not work Ill just have to make a 2 inch thick wing.  The rope just allows me continuous surf time since this wave is tide dependent and the clock is running.  I'm trying to get as much surf time as I can before it disappears.

Sam the Surfer

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #44 on: June 03, 2018, 09:12:32 PM »
Wow...nice smooth river foiling! Would it be possible to trade the rope up for a paddle? Seems like you'd have alot more freedom then.

Now if only I could get it to show up here.  I know- Go back and read the directions someone so kindly sent to me.
lol...that was me! But remembering all the user names here can be difficult.

In my experience, going behind a boat with a rope (very similar to being in a river, standing wave feel) is very different than paddling into a river wave. It's very cool to see different ways folks are having fun on the water!!
I'm finding the strut length to be a significant variable... 15 inch for the shallow rocks but not as forgiving when in the wave. The journey continues!!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal