Author Topic: River Foil Surf  (Read 33647 times)

Sam the Surfer

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
River Foil Surf
« on: December 02, 2017, 05:08:29 PM »
Triples (Derek) and I headed out to the Trailer Park wave that was flowing at 5,000 cfs this morning. The Flying Scud from Hydrus (Jason Zawadzki) was in flight. Got into a couple of waves and it's way harder than in looks!! Look for the fist/paddle pump after the second wave. lol
Can't wait for the new wing set-up from King's Foil to arrive later next week!! Keep charging!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MCHcYc-1u_c

Sam the Surfer

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: River Foil Surf
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2017, 04:53:59 PM »
Put a Liquid Force tbar and wings (made for kiting) on today. Got into a couple of waves and flew a bit, it's very tricky! The big wings are coming soon!! Keep charging!!

https://youtu.be/lUD55eDaIGU

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2017, 04:12:59 PM »
Wow, that looks tough to do man!

Seems like the foil would be harder on a river wave due to picking up all the instability of the underwater current and movement. Did you feel that while paddling? (Although when you're learning anything it's always just a blur really lol.)

Sam the Surfer

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2017, 04:59:02 PM »
Wow, that looks tough to do man!

Seems like the foil would be harder on a river wave due to picking up all the instability of the underwater current and movement. Did you feel that while paddling? (Although when you're learning anything it's always just a blur really lol.)

Yes, it's very difficult to do!! The standing wave on a river is so different, crossing the eddy line etc.  The current wings are way too small and am waiting on the Dave Daum (www.kingspaddlesports.com) custom big wings to come . :)
The picture below is from today, and the set up was flying even though the tail of the board was touching the pile. It's because the 15 inch strut is needed to get into the wave without bottoming out and am going to see what the 22 inch strut will do (likely bottom out). However, it is hard to describe the amount of power in the water... it's a lot!! Thanks for asking and keep charging!!!

Sam the Surfer

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2017, 04:21:33 PM »
Put the 22 inch strut (mast) on the set up today. Hit rocks entering and it was super difficult because the small wings stalled but did take flight!! Amazing day!!

Sam the Surfer

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2018, 06:19:16 PM »
6’4” 15 lb railed river surf board from Hydrus.

Sam the Surfer

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2018, 03:44:11 PM »
Here is the 6’3” inch Hydrus Foil board. It’s 15 lbs without the foil and has a track system put in.

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2018, 06:54:44 PM »
That is a tough looking board man. What's the construction like?

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2018, 07:23:55 PM »
Sam, my noob experience says you need to square your hips across the board. If I stood the way you are standing in any wave I'd fall to the side--typically towards my ass.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Sam the Surfer

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2018, 10:06:07 PM »
That is a tough looking board man. What's the construction like?

It was a 7’ 6” first generation river board. It has about 13 inches cut off of it so it’s around 6’3” and 15 lbs with the rail system installed. The main construction is a material called “Armalight” and is super durable.
While it’s designed to river foil surf, I might take a go at it on the Oregon coast soon.
Not sure how to install a foot strap on it though...

Sam the Surfer

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2018, 10:08:12 PM »
Sam, my noob experience says you need to square your hips across the board. If I stood the way you are standing in any wave I'd fall to the side--typically towards my ass.
Pono- thanks for the tips. I found river foil surfing to be more difficult than on the ocean. Hopefully this lighter board will fly even better!!

blueplanetsurf

• Site Sponsor
  • Teahupoo Status
  • Hawaii's SUP HQ
    • View Profile
    • Blue Planet Surf
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2018, 10:58:37 PM »
Hi Sam,
Have you tried tying a rope across the stream and use it to "tow" against the current?  That may be a good way to practice flying the foil and once you get comfortable doing that you could ease yourself into the standing wave and  let go of the rope, kind of like wake foiling.
Robert Stehlik
Blue Planet Surf Shop, Honolulu
Hawaii's SUP HQ
http://www.blueplanetsurf.com

XLR8

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2018, 04:50:10 AM »
^^^

This is the answer for River foiling, though I am just playing around with it.  Where I am at in Michigan we get good spring runoff.  I have looked for bigger holes under bridges that might have a standing wave but more of a big "tongue" of water.  Drop the line and do some river towing, working back and forth with the current.  You can even pump a little and develop some slack in the line and stay in place while on foil.  I'm hoping to get some footage this spring!
Blkbox Surf
Instagram: @greatlakespaddler

Sam the Surfer

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2018, 05:24:18 PM »
Hi Sam,
Have you tried tying a rope across the stream and use it to "tow" against the current?  That may be a good way to practice flying the foil and once you get comfortable doing that you could ease yourself into the standing wave and  let go of the rope, kind of like wake foiling.

The simple answer is no I have not tried that yet and definitely not opposed to it. Based on the waves in the river I've foil surfed, there is no way to get into the wave with a rope because of the rocks that form the wave are shallow and in front of them (does that make sense)?
I've had some success paddling into the wave and flying the foil, however, with a 26 lb board, even the 32 inch wide wings could not make it fly consistently. I'm hoping by cutting 10 lbs off the board, making it shorter and stubby, it will fit into the wave and fly more consistently.
A set up that can fly a 'regular' standing wave (not huge flows) will open up a whole new playground!! We are working hard to make this happen!
Is there a chance, this set up could downwind on a lake with 2-3 foot waves or would the 7'6" King's board work better?

DavidJohn

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2018, 06:46:41 PM »

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal