Author Topic: Social Influencers  (Read 7894 times)

leecea

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
Re: Social Influencers
« Reply #15 on: September 29, 2017, 05:04:16 AM »
A recent study showed 60% of humankind having a low IQ
  That seems very unlikely - can you link to the study?

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 29, 2017, 06:17:15 AM »
I assume you're joking leecea. It doesn't require a study, it's just math and whatever your definition of "low IQ" is. Intelligence, like most factors measured in a large enough population, is a Poisson distribution--a bell curve. Half of the people are below 100 in tests like Stanford-Binet. Sixty percent is questionable unless you consider 102 to be low IQ, but certainly 50 percent of the people are 99 or less.

Headmount, you are unquestionably a fossil. That doesn't prevent you, or even Admin from doing the same thing, but it does take singleminded effort. I've given it a lightweight try a few times, my xgeez site was a wimpy attempt, so was Ponostyle, the site I did for my book (ridingsophia.com) and the half assed publishing company I started (isabellapress.com) for that matter, even the original KeNalu site was aimed at gathering an audience and profiting from it. The only difference is that this latest iteration of web fame uses existing social network tools and audience--the requirement to succeed is to make the effort to gather an audience and be interesting enough to retain and grow it. In some ways there's a lot less friction--you don't have to build anything--but that goes both ways. Anyone can do it--you have to stand out to succeed. It's not that hard to learn to do this kind of thing, but it takes consistent effort and desire. At this point we're having too much fun to spend the time.

That might the definition of over the hill. It's also the reason that trust fund kiddies never amount to anything. Though one of them did just get to be president.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2017, 06:46:45 AM by PonoBill »
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: September 29, 2017, 06:37:50 AM »
I still don't know what Admin is talking about and now to make matters worse, he says he's over the hill.  What does that make me?  I guess I'll have to return to that picture he posted earlier for further enlightenment to see if I can unravel this social media phenomenon.  Education never ends.

:) Not to say that the whole hill is in the rear view, but I would have to live a mighty long time not to be over the crest, and I have no intention of doing that. 

The fundamentals of social are pretty interesting.  Facebook has over 2 Billion users, YouTube 1.5 Billion, Instagram over 800 Million.  All dwarf the US pop of 323 Million.  But reach alone doesn't get you there.  Users tell these sites everything on a daily (often sub-hourly) basis.  What are our interests, what do we say we like, what do we prove we like, what images/videos do we linger on, where are we located, etc.  These sites can micro define users in an unprecedented way.  It is easy to scoff at Selena Gomez being paid anything for a post, let alone over 500 Grand, but when you consider that each time she taps the button it is flashed to a follower base well over a third the size of the US population, larger than the viewership of the Superbowl, and highly engaged, it starts to make sense. 

So you have a number of popular social venues and a group of personalities that are capturing attention there.  There is typically a strong focus to the personality (fashion, sport, age group, bum quality, etc) and that lends itself to very targeted advertising/marketing (Bill can define the difference for us, I can't).  Interestingly, many lesser followed micro influencers (many with very small followings) are highly trusted and have a very high level of user engagement (comments, likes, shares, etc).  These can provide a very effective spot for brands to connect with users, but due to their small reach it can take a lot of them which can be hard to organize.  Agencies and services have arisen to connect influencers to brands. 

Kids are incredibly comfortable with the breakdown in privacy that has come with these changes.  A life on display.  This goes beyond the images of drunk us, denuded and decorated, Sharpie and lipstick, and left on display in front of the Law library.
 SnapMap (a feature of Snapchat - fast growing, youthy social network nearing 200 Million users) shows you (opt in) the real time location of all of your amigos.  Zoom in to watch their (your) movements at house detail.  Yeah, I'm in the bathroom again.  I take my flossing seriously, promise. I admire it, but I'm not there.  Over the crest for sure.

« Last Edit: September 29, 2017, 07:19:03 AM by Admin »

Tom

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 29, 2017, 07:10:11 AM »

T dude, Tanner  attends a special  school  in San  Diego  that caters  to  kids who have schedules  like  him  who travel  a lot  and he  does quite   well. He's  studying  video production  and has  his own financial  planner .  Really  is a great  kid with  a  great mother .

SUPcheat

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 29, 2017, 11:11:54 AM »
These media "successes" can evaporate as quickly as they mushroom.  I think it's a case of making hay while the sun rises rather than expecting a long term arc like the (barf in mouth) Kardashian types.
2013 Fanatic Prowave LTD 9'3"x30.5x@134L
Sunova Speeed 8'10"x29.12@131L
Sunova Flow 8'7"x30.25"@121L
Carbon 9.3x32@163L Hammer
Me: 6'1"@230 lbs 68 years old

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 02, 2017, 10:36:39 PM »
Talldude and SUPcheat, while individual success might have an expiration date, don't confuse this marketing method with some fad. This is the new normal. It gets weirder and more effective from here.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 10, 2017, 06:12:01 PM »
Pono has it right. Admin is also talking the truth. Take Slater Trout. If he's smart, he'll pivot from SUP and take his modeling chops and endorsements and move into being s more general lifestyle brand. (Slater goes adventuring in Fiji, with sup, and hiking and surfing and cultural pieces.)

This has nothing to do with being an idiot like the Kardashians or shallow. It's a new way for people to consume media. I used to read a short blurb in a magazine. Now I'll check out Mark Healey surfing and freediving in Sumba on Instagram. If I like those cool Riffe fins he's using, maybe I'll check them out.

I have a friend who works for an agency that manages influencers. They have a team around them and usually are moving to do other things. Casey Niestat makes mid six figures from YouTube, Cheat, but he also now directs commercials, tv shows and music videos. So YouTube is just a side hustle for his career. Interesting that in the old days, you did something and promoted it in the media. Now the act of promoting something can also generate revenue.

Pono, I wonder when it will swing to the older demographics. Honestly, I'd follow Kalama or Headmount and love to see what they are using to do their adventures. Hell, a visit to Boyum's family in Tahoe or Indo is more exotic than most people's dream vacation. I'm in, sign him up.

I need to go now and watch an hour of YouTube on my tv in the living room. At 51, that's how you know the media landscape has changed. Don't confuse content with airheads just because they get a lot of eyeballs. So did Charo back in the day, but we still had Walter Cronkite.

(Damn those were some old references. That last line made my prostate leak.)

headmount

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: October 10, 2017, 07:53:22 PM »
Wilder yet is how effective brands are finding it.  In SUP we have micro influencers or more likely micro micro, but that proves even more cost effective if well managed.  No, not surprising that Alexis can sell some product, but the future brand implications are interesting to ponder.  https://www.forbes.com/sites/barrettwissman/2017/08/14/dawn-of-the-social-media-influencer-as-entrepreneur/#6489612a6f86

I still haven't left this picture

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 10, 2017, 11:32:00 PM »
I think Slater Trout is what started this thread. Casey and Jen Trout came for dinner after the Gorge Paddle Challenge and I asked what Slater and Tanner were up to. Casey told me about Slater's social influencer gigs, which floored me. I related that to Admin, looking for some insight from him, as in "WTF is this about and is it a thing?"--he's generally more hip to this stuff, and my use of the word "hip" probably says exactly what my problem was. We both started digging into it I guess. A few days later, presto.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2017, 11:36:34 PM by PonoBill »

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: October 11, 2017, 05:50:57 AM »
The micro influencer side of things is relatively new.  The quest to participate and benefit is enormous.  The allure is that it doesn't take much to earn a little.  But, most get lost in the attention grab.  Slater is a really personable guy and is a go-getter.  He has also become a terrific photographer.  Add to that his SUP chops and some national press from a celebrity girlfriend and he has an opening.  I had no idea that he was pursuing this but I think that it is awesome. 

There is no telling where this specifically will lead him (or any of these upstarts) but it is phenomenal experience.  People who recognize and capitalize on opportunity once are much more likely to adjust and repeat.  I would be surprised if Slater was not in that group.

Weasels wake

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 11, 2017, 09:30:18 AM »
In the meantime the #1 Hollywood influencer has left the country to move in next door to Roman Polanski, probably for keeps.
It takes a quiver to do that.

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: December 08, 2017, 04:57:56 AM »
New blockchain browser which rewards content creators.  Interesting....

https://techcrunch.com/2017/12/06/brave-makes-push-to-reward-content-makers/

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal