Author Topic: Mo Freitas leaving Focus...  (Read 19315 times)

viatormundi

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Mo Freitas leaving Focus...
« Reply #15 on: December 02, 2017, 09:52:18 AM »
This is exactly what is happening in Europe. The pro riders who jump from brand to brand do not help much in sales but those modest enthusiasts who share their enthusiasm contribute more to the brands in general.
I think SUP is really cooling off. And that is okay as it will never go away, just become a niche, like windsurfing or open water rowing. Thoughts?
My understanding from a good friend deep in the industry is that paid sponsorships to pro athletes have seen their peak, those days are over. Mo is a fantastic athlete but companies can't afford those sponsorships and the return does not match the investment. Basically the people who buy the most boards (low end and cheap) have no clue who Mo Freitas (et al) is and no interest in surfing or racing. Sponsored athletes have very little to no effect on the vast majority of board sales. Smart companies are focusing on "free" local ambassadors who do have an effect on sales on the grass roots level. Even the 'good old days' of the brand ambassador have seen their peak. Savvy companies are scaling down what they offer their ambassadors and are requiring more output in the form of social media postings. In the past an ambassador might receive 2 or 3 free boards a year. Now it may be the case where an ambassador receives only one free board or even less- only steep purchase discounts. Still that investment makes more business sense versus sponsoring an athlete that the vast majority of buyers have no awareness of or interest in. I would bet a paycheck that someone like Supthecreek has created more sales volume for their company than any sponsored pro. If I were a young sponsored SUP racer or surfer and I wanted to be able to eat in 5 years I would definitely go back to school.

robon

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 02, 2017, 09:55:51 AM »
I had been paddling for a few years and didn't really know who the best racers were. Even at it's peak, racing was just a small niche in this sport and not responsible for a big stake in the market share. The vast majority of paddlers don't own race boards and couldn't tell you who Baxter or Freitas are.
It seems the sport has peaked and may be in a slight decline, but it's definitely still growing inland.

Local celebrities and often friends at local events might do more, along with a good distribution network that makes boards available for testing, for the sale of a brand.
Here One SUP developed very quickly taking some market shares from Starboard. There is some appeal to a niche brand very present locally even if their board are not in the hands of teh best international racers. Sometime you take what is there rather than what needs to be sourced long in advance sight unseen.

I agree that distribution and knowledge can be increased at local and larger events, which can help prop up niche brands, and potentially increase sales of larger names as well. I definitely became more interested in the sport after rubbing shoulders with a couple of the bigger names at an event, so it's not without value. With that said, the sales of the race boards and race influences remains a tiny market share for overall sales. Sometimes you have to wait months just to get said board, and the price, usage, and fragility make them a tiny market. I have no idea of exact ratios, but it has to be an easy 50 to 1  (actually maybe 100 to 1 or higher) for overall and touring designs compared to the sales of race/niche boards in North America alone. Growth likely will remain inland where it hasn't quite peaked, and growth will also remain with the touring and overall designs, with increased inflatable sales.

I have noticed an uptick in racing, DW boards, and displacement/hybrid designs in the West Kootenays, through to the Okanagan/Kelowna, and to the coast, but still just a teeny, tiny percentage compared to those on all around designs, and more recently inflatables.

surf4food

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: December 02, 2017, 10:29:25 AM »
^^^

Which brings up something I said in another thread.  I think the companies should start pushing raceboards as fun craft to paddle even if not using them for actual racing.  I remember demo(ing) a Naish Javelin 14' and it was an amazing feeling.  If only I had the space for it. as
« Last Edit: December 02, 2017, 10:31:27 AM by surf4food »

addapost

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 02, 2017, 01:01:02 PM »
^^^

Which brings up something I said in another thread.  I think the companies should start pushing raceboards as fun craft to paddle even if not using them for actual racing.  I remember demo(ing) a Naish Javelin 14' and it was an amazing feeling.  If only I had the space for it. as
I've stayed out of the racing discussions here but I will say this, in my opinion the reason racing is in decline has almost nothing to do with board length or sponsored pros, or race classifications or other issues that are thrown around here. The primary reason racing is in decline, in my opinion, is that the decent, dedicated race boards are stupidly expensive. Most normal people are not going to spend $2000 to $3000 for a piece of foam with some fiber glass wrapped around it.
Bunch of old shit

Eagle

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 02, 2017, 02:04:59 PM »
"The primary reason racing is in decline, in my opinion, is that the decent, dedicated race boards are stupidly expensive. Most normal people are not going to spend $2000 to $3000 for a piece of foam with some fiber glass wrapped around it."

Gotta agree.  From our perspective -> is silly to pay top $ for something that depreciates so quickly.  Even paying 50+% less than MSRP is way too much.  But yeah most peeps have zero clue who Baxter is.  But interestingly some know who Lenny is.  Not his name -> but that guy who rides on a SUP foil.  Zero for Freitas or zero for Steinfath.

But SUP is nice def to improve balance.  Helps my skiing and SB loads.  So would agree that raceboards should be marketed maybe for the non-racer as well.  That is exactly why we bought our AS23.  No doubt works a charm.  ;)
Fast is FUN!   8)
Dominator - Touring Pintail - Bullet V2 - M14 - AS23

addapost

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 02, 2017, 02:21:18 PM »
Yep, you are seeing gently used boards being sold for a fraction of their new purchase price. The number that I keep seeing for ANY used board- race, surf, el cheapo generalist, etc. is about $700. To me that is what a board should cost. I am lucky, I have been in the industry as an instructor for a good sized retailer so I have never had to buy at full price and I generally just borrow any demo in the fleet. If I didn't have an in I would NEVER spend full price for a board. I simply cannot wrap my head around a $3000 race board or even a $1600 surf sup. Never mind having several or buying new every year. But that's just me. Well, and everyone I know.
Bunch of old shit

Luc Benac

• Teahupoo Status
  • Super Natural British Columbia
    • View Profile
    • When not paddling...
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: December 02, 2017, 02:28:42 PM »
Yep, you are seeing gently used boards being sold for a fraction of their new purchase price. The number that I keep seeing for ANY used board- race, surf, el cheapo generalist, etc. is about $700. To me that is what a board should cost. I am lucky, I have been in the industry as an instructor for a good sized retailer so I have never had to buy at full price and I generally just borrow any demo in the fleet. If I didn't have an in I would NEVER spend full price for a board. I simply cannot wrap my head around a $3000 race board or even a $1600 surf sup. Never mind having several or buying new every year. But that's just me. Well, and everyone I know.

Somebody has to, otherwise where would we find our used boards to purchase :-) I love and strongly encourage everybody that is buying a new model every year, it feeds the used performance board market and helps everybody else....I sometime think that for us on the Canadian West Coast, a drive down to SoCal would probably pay for itself if you want to buy a couple of nice boards.
Sunova Allwater 14'x25.5" 303L Viento 520
Sunova Torpedo 14'x27" 286L Salish 500
Naish Nalu 11'4" x 30" 180L Andaman 520
Sunova Steeze 10' x 31" 150L
Blackfish Paddles

supthecreek

« Reply #22 on: December 02, 2017, 02:37:59 PM »
Industry slowdown may be as simple as this:

When many of us got into SUP, everyone was riding a longer, high volume board.

SUP mirrored the "shortboard revolution" from late 60's to early 70's...
every week, a new shape came out and you just HAD to have the latest tech.

Most of us went through boards on a regular basis, as the tech and we, improved.

Shapes and tech have leveled out and found a "happy place"
We no longer have to chase the latest, greatest shape.....

We have found great boards that suit us, and we won't be left in the dust, if we don't buy new every year.

I'd say that SUP is maturing.
Now that the R&D curve is leveling off, you better offer great product at reasonable prices to attract buyers.

Luc Benac

• Teahupoo Status
  • Super Natural British Columbia
    • View Profile
    • When not paddling...
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: December 02, 2017, 02:50:11 PM »
We have found great boards that suit us, and we won't be left in the dust, if we don't buy new every year.
Now that the R&D curve is leveling off, you better offer great product at reasonable prices to attract buyers.

That is a good point. I have found that even the excitement of looking at a new board has somewhat faded against the peace of mind of using the favourite trusted boards best adapted to the most usual conditions I paddle in. And yes blonking CAD $3,000~4,000 or even more on a new board has just become a non starter.
Sunova Allwater 14'x25.5" 303L Viento 520
Sunova Torpedo 14'x27" 286L Salish 500
Naish Nalu 11'4" x 30" 180L Andaman 520
Sunova Steeze 10' x 31" 150L
Blackfish Paddles

addapost

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 02, 2017, 03:01:47 PM »
Industry slowdown may be as simple as this:

When many of us got into SUP, everyone was riding a longer, high volume board.

SUP mirrored the "shortboard revolution" from late 60's to early 70's...
every week, a new shape came out and you just HAD to have the latest tech.

Most of us went through boards on a regular basis, as the tech and we, improved.

I'd say that SUP is maturing.
Even though I have never paid more than wholesale on a board I gotta say you have me very likely to plop down the $1600 for that Creek model of yours. lol
Bunch of old shit

supsurf-tw

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: December 02, 2017, 04:42:04 PM »

We've come to a place where design is pretty much where it's gonna be for awhile and boards are much more durable than say, the latest potato chip 5-8 prone board. People have found what works for them and will most likely just hold on to what they have for quite awhile rather than going out and spending more on a new board. Plus with so many great used boards at less than half the cost of new it's no surprise that sales are down.
Boards:

8-10 x 31 Egg
8-11 X 32 Double wing Fangtail Tom Whitaker
8-6 X 30 1\2  Inbetweener Tom Whitaker
8-4 x 30 Hyper quad Tom Whitaker (wife's now)
8-4 X 31 1\4.  Round (wide) Diamond Tail Quad Tom Whitaker
 9-4 X 30 1\2. Swallow Stinger Quad Tom Whitaker (ex wifes now)
10-0 Brusurf for teach

NEplay

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: December 03, 2017, 05:02:51 AM »
I certainly agree with all of the above. If I was confident a new race board would be be competitive and match the conditions I paddle in I may step and pay $2500 for a race board every couple of years but all my race boards have been ultra fragile and this makes me crazy.
New England Is My Playground

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: December 03, 2017, 10:38:23 AM »
I walk into a SUP shop now and compare what I already have with what they are selling. First off, I'm way to picky when it comes to throwing down some cash. I scan the racks, looking at the price tags. I find something interesting, but I already have a similar board. All the sudden it's less interesting. I have a piece of foam on the racks in my shop that has almost been carved into 3 different shapes. I just keep surfing the boards I already have. More than likely it will replace my existing 9' SUP that is on it's last leg. Same shape with a little tweak to the tail. As was said, there are so many good used deals out there.  Kayadogg is going to be wishing he was back in SoCal for X-mas.

https://orangecounty.craigslist.org/spo/d/hobie-sup-fast-strong-and/6389784172.html

https://orangecounty.craigslist.org/spo/d/riviera-racing-sup-paddleboard/6368943073.html

https://orangecounty.craigslist.org/spo/d/stand-up-paddleboard-sup/6391785650.html

https://orangecounty.craigslist.org/spo/d/14-ft-sup/6390226704.html

https://orangecounty.craigslist.org/spo/d/brawner-surf-supcustom-like/6382776613.html
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

Eagle

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 03, 2017, 11:34:11 AM »
$4400 plus 12% tax down to $3295 -> down to $2000 with zero tax.  Virtually brand new and was going to buy for myself.  Then thought about how many times we get flat water conditions in the ocean and said nada.  But woulda been a hoot to paddle fast on.  The 21.5 was so wicked slippery it was silly not fair vs my splashy fat tub AS23. 

So yeah def super good deals to be had -> and very little reason to ever pay MSRP for mega overpriced pieces of cheap foam with a bit of carbon thrown in.  Ex. 2018 Maliko with a carbon strip.  At least wrap the whole board in a carbon sandwich like the Sprint or All Star.  Crazy their current marketing spin is -> heavier is better for their primo race board.  Has zero or very little effect on speed.  So carbon is a waste and obsolete for racing already.  Haha.  Right.  ::)

Comparatively can buy a new pair of top rated powder skis never mounted on CL and slap on a pair of new top quality bindings for less than $500 all in.  Hmm?  Seasons pass cost $450.  So $1000.  Gotta wonder bout that.  Skiing is way more fun.  SB way more fun in powder.  Have already paid off my pass last month.  Compared to $4400 plus taxes for a new SUP race board.  What a joke.  No wonder.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2017, 11:35:51 AM by Eagle »
Fast is FUN!   8)
Dominator - Touring Pintail - Bullet V2 - M14 - AS23

kayadogg

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #29 on: December 03, 2017, 01:11:20 PM »
Kayadogg is going to be wishing he was back in SoCal for X-mas.

https://orangecounty.craigslist.org/spo/d/hobie-sup-fast-strong-and/6389784172.html

https://orangecounty.craigslist.org/spo/d/riviera-racing-sup-paddleboard/6368943073.html

https://orangecounty.craigslist.org/spo/d/stand-up-paddleboard-sup/6391785650.html

https://orangecounty.craigslist.org/spo/d/14-ft-sup/6390226704.html

https://orangecounty.craigslist.org/spo/d/brawner-surf-supcustom-like/6382776613.html

Haha, I still peruse the OC and San Diego CL ads pretty regularly. It’s actually been nice to not have the used board market in New England, makes me much happier with the boards my wife and I have. Now I’ve developed a problem with buying/selling/acquiring high-end putters. I just placed an order for a custom DH89 with Byron Morgan (surfer & legendary putter maker out of Huntington Beach) last night. Eerie how similar the process is to ordering a custom board. Putter boxes are much easier to hide than the box that a 14’ Blackfish arrives in.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal