Blackfish Paddles

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: clogs
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2017, 09:42:58 AM »
Hopefully innovation and common sense will prevail, and we'll see more UL. Interesting that a few of the guys are wearing full PFD vests, during a sprint race. Maybe they are just used to them? I'd get too hot. 
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

Luc Benac

• Teahupoo Status
  • Super Natural British Columbia
    • View Profile
    • When not paddling...
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2017, 10:06:32 AM »
Hopefully innovation and common sense will prevail, and we'll see more UL. Interesting that a few of the guys are wearing full PFD vests, during a sprint race. Maybe they are just used to them? I'd get too hot.

It is nice when you get thrown in the water and it helps when you climb back.
Sunova Allwater 14'x25.5" 303L Viento 520
Sunova Torpedo 14'x27" 286L Salish 500
Naish Nalu 11'4" x 30" 180L Andaman 520
Sunova Steeze 10' x 31" 150L
Blackfish Paddles

JEG

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2017, 12:18:33 PM »
its the only way to fly in that condition  ;D
some races here in OZ a must have PFD.

Jacko

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2017, 03:14:59 PM »
Top ten in the doctor race were all on dugout boards and you just  wait until this weekends dw race KOTC where 90% will be on dugout boards.

Life jackets were needed for the doctor race and all were wearing either a waist or full pfd and also all had flares as its a  pretty wide crossing.

« Last Edit: November 27, 2017, 03:19:20 PM by Jacko »

yugi

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2017, 04:47:55 PM »
I like the nose on that board

connector14

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2017, 05:17:31 PM »
So is the advantage of these "clogs" the fact that you are standing about as low as possible to the waterline?  Makes sense to me as low center of gravity translates to improved stability. (but not comfortable when you decide to sit down and take a rest :).........
"never leave the dock without your paddle"
Imagine Rocket 14 ...my new favorite, smooth and fast and lite
2018 Red Paddle 14 x 27 Elite
2014 Bark Dominator 14....smooth and quiet
2014 Imagine Connector 14...the "barge"

Jacko

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2017, 08:23:43 PM »
So is the advantage of these "clogs" the fact that you are standing about as low as possible to the waterline?  Makes sense to me as low center of gravity translates to improved stability. (but not comfortable when you decide to sit down and take a rest :).........

Sitting down and resting? Haha who does that!!

Nah these things are fine to sit down on.

pdxmike

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2017, 08:33:04 PM »
I love seeing these designs, and seeing more ULs.

What would happen if you shaved the rails off these boards (figuratively, as with designing a new board that was similar except for the rails rising above the deck vs. literally shaving them off)?  Would too much volume be lost?  Would stability suffer due to taking volume out of the rails?  Would the deck be so low it would be constantly awash?

My reason for asking is that these clog/dugout boards seem like one distinct design trend, and the other big one over the last couple years has been boards with high nose volume.  If you took the rails off the clog boards above the deck level, they'd start looking much like the high-nose-volume boards.  Or, if you added rails above the decks of those, they'd start looking much like the clog/dugout boards.

And are "clog boards" really what people are calling them?

Eagle

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2017, 09:39:54 PM »
Find that sitting is not comfortable vs a flat deck.  Legs are kinda propped up on a weird angle and cut in a bit.

The standing area is so low near waterline you would flood if the walls were not there.

If you add rails to say an All Star the board would have too much wasted volume up high.  See the 23.5 Ace and 21.5 Sprint.  Both are very close to waterline.
Fast is FUN!   8)
Dominator - Touring Pintail - Bullet V2 - M14 - AS23

connector14

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2017, 10:08:55 PM »
That's a great comparison shot of those 2 different Starboard designs. I like the idea of being low in the water,  just wondering if the rails need to be so high. How does that help?  Don't the high sides make it more difficult in cross chop and wind?
"never leave the dock without your paddle"
Imagine Rocket 14 ...my new favorite, smooth and fast and lite
2018 Red Paddle 14 x 27 Elite
2014 Bark Dominator 14....smooth and quiet
2014 Imagine Connector 14...the "barge"

Eagle

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2017, 07:19:15 AM »
Pretty much they do to just keep water out.  Surprisingly in cross chop it is ok.  But side wind can be a problem.  Young Colmas shows how this type of board should be surfed.  Really does require exceptional balance skill and timing.

https://youtu.be/HbdKlEpK4rg
Fast is FUN!   8)

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2017, 08:14:29 AM »
Side wind gets to be a nightmare on unlimiteds. A rudder can help a lot, buts really just slowing you down continually countering the effects of the wind. I did a 10 mile ocean race on one of my older high profile unlimiteds with a fixed fin. The wind was blowing 10 to 15 mph straight onshore. The race was 5 miles down the coast and 5 back. So I paddled on the left side the entire first leg, with a turning paddle stroke on every stoke to push the nose back against the wind. If I let up for one stroke, I'd start pointing towards shore. Just as my left shoulder was about to give out, I made the turn and got to thrash my right shoulder the whole way back. This is where a forward keel fin would really help.

Now my board had a much higher volume and height from the foot well forward. I notice these new clogs carry the height above water level from nose to tail. That may counter some of the cross wind effect. A more forward fin might help as well. I went the opposite direction with my latest unlimited and shaved all the extra above waterline volume off that I could. My board does submarine and my feet go under water at times, but it doesn't slow the board one bit. The best part is the side wind has little to no effect on the board now. My shoulders love it:)
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

Eagle

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2017, 10:05:26 AM »
I went the opposite direction with my latest unlimited and shaved all the extra above waterline volume off that I could. My board does submarine and my feet go under water at times, but it doesn't slow the board one bit. The best part is the side wind has little to no effect on the board now. My shoulders love it:)

^ Personally my choice as well in a DW board.  Low profile.  Lower the better.  Near zero windage.

While not a full Ace pin -> this is bad enough to DW in steep waves.  A compromise disp nose shape with a rounded pin for bit cleaner release.  Works for what it was designed for but is not a good DW board.  On plane the thing screams with the double concave -> but the feeling is pretty squirrelly.  Def hard to keep it level.  Likes to be on edge cutting into a wave to stabilize the tail.

Comparatively the M14 sticks to a wave face with its rounded tail and hard edges.  Not super fast like the V2 -> but very planted when cutting.  Diff strokes all good in their own ways.  Nothing is perfect in everything.  At least my take anyways.
Fast is FUN!   8)

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal