Author Topic: Strap handle  (Read 3554 times)

dingfix

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
Strap handle
« on: November 21, 2017, 12:09:12 PM »
I have a surf sup with the FCS handle.  Not really enjoying carrying the board as the handle doesn't have much of a ledge, also its off the balance point.

So I'm thinking of adding a strap type handle.  Not sure I like the idea of using sticky pads(?) so has anyone tried fitting two leash plugs and running a strap between those?  Thanks.

SUP Sports ®

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Stoked For Life ®
    • View Profile
    • SUP Sports ®
    • Email
Re: Strap handle
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2017, 12:30:32 PM »
We've been doing this for our clients by request for years...
Mahalos...{:~)

WARDOG ®
Owner/CEO  StandUp Paddle Sports®  &   SurfingSports®.com, Inc.

(805)962-SUPS (7877) store
(888)805-9978 toll free

Retail Store:
Standup Paddle Sports, LLC
121 Santa Barbara St.
Santa Barbara, CA 93101

dingfix

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2017, 02:04:19 PM »
That's exactly what I was thinking of!  thanks,

JimK

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Big Guys can have fun too!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2017, 06:16:04 AM »
The NSI adhesives work great too

JimK
Extreme Windsurfing

loosehead

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2017, 06:36:58 AM »
yeah nsi or easy plug stick on`s the best way to go

jrandy

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2017, 07:25:50 AM »
I have done both, glue-on and leash plug, and am happy with both after a couple years of use and extreme temp swings (-10 to 100 F) in storage.

The glue-on one was from Hawai'i via a small Midwest shop and the supplied isocyanate glue was already cured in the tube so I went with normal 'Super/Krazy' whatever glue. The strap is a nice rubberized thing that's easy on the hand. Being a post-lam, post-pad install balance was easy to achieve.

The leash plugs were also a post-lam/pad install and featured a homemade strap upcycled from a torn boat cover sewn with mismatched colored thread. Depending how you look at it- I either saved 30$ or I cheapened up the look of my own board...
http://pushheretosavealife.com/
Be safe, have fun. -J

JimK

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Big Guys can have fun too!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2017, 07:30:59 AM »
Over the years I've done a bunch of prototype testing for different mfg and these NEVER come with handles and I kinda like the strap handles works good with my big "Paws" and cold water gloves

Just my 2 cents

jimK
Extreme Windsurfing

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2017, 08:28:02 AM »
On race boards and all arounder's I prefer a strap handle. If you properly install the EZ glue or stick-on's they work fine for just carrying. My favorite strap which is on my Nalu, is one of a rare batch made up for Ron House by Sparky at Rainbow Sandals. It's a soft and decorative strap that can actually be found on Rainbow Sandals. I haven't found any other strap that is that decorative, functional, and is in great shape after over 8 years or so of use. The EZ rubber handles are nice too, but I'm on my second one already on my race board in just a few years.
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

yugi

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2017, 10:35:09 AM »
Damn.

Now I'm jonesing for a cool looking strap.

I'm replaceing my strap.

Should I just use a climbing webbing? Or are there any surf options available?

dingfix

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2017, 11:41:47 AM »
Thanks all. 

JimK, you make a great point about thick winter gloves!   It would save drilling the board if stick-on pads work.  Do you or anyone else sell such kits please?

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2017, 08:57:28 PM »
Damn.

Now I'm jonesing for a cool looking strap.

I'm replaceing my strap.

Should I just use a climbing webbing? Or are there any surf options available?

I'm sure there is a market for strap handles. Maybe a small one? I made one of mine myself using sail webbing I bought at West Marine and used a hot knife to melt / weld a loop on each end. As it got older, it started curl. Then it was like carrying the board by a thin string, which cuts into your fingers. That's why the Surfco straps have a rubber housing / sleeve. Some of the companies like Infinity and Brawner are having their own made using a wider 2" (I think) strap / webbing with a logo sleeve and a double or single screw mount on each end. The straps can be sewed in various ways depending on the material. If you want to use a screw mount, you can install grommets on either end. The screw mounts are standard windsurfing foot strap mounts. Sew many options :D 

http://www.strapworks.com/product_p/tppw2.htm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=270&v=DclXu2jW3Ug

https://www.amazon.com/Surfco-Hawaii-Surfboard-Accessories-Handle/dp/B00CLX1ERM/ref=pd_day0_468_7?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=ACMHPC272JYDT19MPNBC

http://shop.fiberglasssupply.com/cartadd.cgi?sku=R66-6102&il=1

It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2017, 09:10:41 PM »
I have a strap handle on my SIC 17 Bullet that attaches to leash plugs I had installed when the board was built--no built-in handle, In my experience long boards vary too much in weight distribution for standard handles to be good with the exception of the new SIC bridge handle. The plugs also have paddle loops for longer distance carrying. My strap is a spare neck strap from an RC transmitter. I need to replace it, it stretches when it gets wet.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

* Recent Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal