Author Topic: Ke Nalu Hydrofoil  (Read 42235 times)

LM

• Site Sponsor
  • Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • KeNalu
    • Email
Re: Ke Nalu Hydrofoil
« Reply #45 on: March 22, 2018, 07:54:33 AM »
Just a quick heads-up that I'm now taking pre-orders for our hydrofoil. Many of you are on the list already but for those that might still be interested please email me at customerservice@kenalu.com for details. We're offering Zoners 30% off retail but holding your place in line requires full payment up front. I'll be putting in the order with the factory at some point next week & then it'll be about a 30 day turn around. Once the order has been submitted to the factory this offer will be off the table so if you want to save a bunch on a great foil get your order in soon.

Here's a review by Rod Parmenter from FoilBuzz.com on the 775 wing with a short video: https://www.foilbuzz.com/single-post/2017/12/12/Wakefoiling-the-KeNalu-IWA-775-Hydrofoil

And a video of Robert Stehlik from Blue Planet Hawaii on the 'Iwa 775: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_CS8-il7Kb4&feature=share

capobeachboy

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 25, 2018, 02:43:06 PM »
Weird that they are using a slanted tuttle box adapter. Have those ever been used for sup foil applications? Seems like they would only work on windsurfers.

Go Foil uses the Straight Deep Tuttle and those boxes will set you back about $80 - $110 plus install which I have seen locally for $150 - $200+

The Deep Tuttle (or slanted as you describe) that KeNalu uses is great - especially for thinner boards - and I'm seeing the boxes for under $20 and they are light and super strong (Liquid Surf & Sail has them for $16). These are also called a race box and they are molded. Of course with the KeNalu foil you also have the option of a plate mount which a lot of foilers prefer for strength and adjustability. 
« Last Edit: March 25, 2018, 03:01:01 PM by capobeachboy »
West Coast Distributor
Dolphin Surfcraft
DEEP Ocean Boards
Ambassador/team rider/rep
KeNalu Paddles

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 25, 2018, 09:40:20 PM »
Slanted Tuttles are intended for fin boxes to accommodate a tail getting thinner. Foil boxes get installed a lot more forward generally. so there's no particular benefit to a slanted box. The molded box themselves should be plenty strong for foils, but the box might be more difficult to tie into both the top and bottom of the board. If you don't connect to both surfaces you're just depending on the strength of the foam (not much) and the bottom glass.

But you don't need to install a slanted Tuttle box to accommodate the slanted plug. You can insert a slanted Tuttle into a full deep tuttle box, which is deep enough to tie to the top glass. It will be depending on a tight fit of the box front and back for stability, but I don't think any Tuttle fitment actually contacts the bottom of the box unless it's been sanded down so it fits that deep, and then it would probably wobble side to side.  The price for Race boxes and full deep Tuttle is about the same--about $25 from Chinook. And IMHO if you use anything but a Chinook box or the ones Alex Aguerra makes you deserve what happens to you. I wouldn't install the race box, there isn't any reason to.

The more expensive Aguerra box is clad with thick PVC foam and has a carbon top and bottom, Bulletproof if you install it well. I don't understand how he sells them for a hundred bucks--they have a hundred bucks worth of PVC on them. I installed the Aguera Tuttle in my L41. Bit of a challenge to get it right, I had to cut off the carbon and some of the foam from the top to get the installed height right, but it's rock solid.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

LM

• Site Sponsor
  • Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • KeNalu
    • Email
« Reply #48 on: March 28, 2018, 08:21:13 AM »
Just wanted to let everyone know I'm putting the order in with the factory for the Zone pre-purchase special tomorrow so if anyone is still interested in taking advantage of the offer (30% savings off retail) please let me know right away. Once the order is in with the factory the offer is no longer available.

Please direct any questions to: customerservice@kenalu.com

Thanks to all those who've taken advantage of the offer already!

RATbeachrider

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 28, 2018, 07:15:53 PM »
Email sent re:purchase.  Thank you for the discount.

exiled

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: May 13, 2018, 07:09:32 PM »
Got my order in on Friday, thanks Lane! Everything looks great. Really impressed with the fit and finish, plus the heavy duty case is a real bonus. At 230 lbs, I'm not sure I'll ever use the smaller wing, but at the price it was offered I figure I might as well.

unclesaltdog

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #51 on: May 14, 2018, 09:59:39 AM »
Damn that looks so good Exiled, I have had my first few SUP foils recently on a cheap Chinese foil and even that was a buzz but I can't wait to get my hands on some real quality carbon goodness.

I'm frothing like a grom over this foil revolution.  ;D

I reckon you will be surprised and even the 580 will get some use when you get the hang of it.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2018, 10:02:28 AM by wrighty »

IRideYellow

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #52 on: May 14, 2018, 04:50:01 PM »
Can you describe what the tools and other things are in the bottom right corner of the pic
Starboard WidePoint 8'10, Sunova 8'10 Speeed (Sold), Wardog  7'10 Jammer,  L41 8'8 S3 (sold), Naish Mana 10 (sold), 3 Wavestorm 9'6

exiled

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 14, 2018, 06:13:11 PM »
Can you describe what the tools and other things are in the bottom right corner of the pic

Tuttle box mount, hardware for the tuttlebox and foil in the baggie, 4mm and 5mm orange handled hex wrenches for the hardware.

RATbeachrider

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: May 26, 2018, 04:35:50 PM »
She arrived today! Dry-fitment and everything came together nicely.  Thanks Kenalu and Lane for an awesome deal!

exiled

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: May 26, 2018, 10:19:11 PM »
Finally got everything assembled and greased up. Finding long enough M6 screws for my board's tuttle box was a chore. Now I just have to get everything on the water

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: May 26, 2018, 11:37:11 PM »
This is a great looking rig man.

LM

• Site Sponsor
  • Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • KeNalu
    • Email
« Reply #57 on: May 29, 2018, 02:17:57 AM »
I'm looking forward to hearing some feedback after you guys get some time on your foils. So far we've had some great feedback.

The 970 downwinder foil is about ready for testing. I'm anxious to get that one in the water too.

LM

• Site Sponsor
  • Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • KeNalu
    • Email
« Reply #58 on: August 10, 2018, 12:01:32 AM »
I've been hoping to hear some reviews from you guys. May people took advantage of the pre-order offer but I haven't heard much back from you guys yet. How's it going for you?

We have been getting some great reviews from elsewhere (some reviews below) but I was really hoping to hear from some of you:

"Wow your foil is such a fun foil to fly on. I have a ***** foil and have riden ####### and ^^^^^^ foils, am expecting to try out a friends ---------- foil and so far am really impressed by the KeNalu foil. From first impressions just holding it how light it is compared to the *****. To the solid construction and not feeling as flimsy as the #######. To flying and it not wiggling. Very impressed. Flies like a dream"

“On a wave, it lifts straight up, instead of wanting to pitch up as you go faster. You nailed the stabilizer angle. I liked the stabilizer in the forward position because it made the foil less stable and more willing to turn. With the stabilizer forward, it turned like a much smaller foil than it was, turning felt comparable to the ###### ###i. It really likes to sit at the top of the wave and ride it like birds ride slope lift. When riding like that, it felt super efficient. Airs also felt pretty good and landing back in the water was controllable. It is definitely in my top 3 foils…Overall, I and others who tried it absolutely loved riding it. The few people that rode it all commented on how smooth it was and how well it turned. It’s definitely one of my favorite foils. This would be my go to for small waves.”

From a kiter on a 580:

“It felt great at speed and going slow. It worked great! I powered my kite and within 10 feet I was on foil.  It turns great and I think the best option for people learning as well.  Most kite wings are small and not forgiving, the point of it for me is getting the surf feel.”

So far some great feedback but I want to hear from you guys.

AlexFun

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: November 18, 2018, 04:02:31 AM »
You're the only brand pointing out that you're using a longer fuselage for stability.
Could you work out this point some more?
How does the length of the fuselage, resp. the total lenght of the foil wing to wing the stbility when flying.

In Windfoiling the fuselage length ís THE most discussed issue atm besides frontwing area since it is one of the main parts that defines a foils riding character.

Alex

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal