Author Topic: Ke Nalu Hydrofoil  (Read 42244 times)

LM

• Site Sponsor
  • Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • KeNalu
    • Email
Re: Ke Nalu Hydrofoil
« Reply #30 on: January 05, 2018, 07:20:19 AM »
Pretty cool that Ke Nalu is getting into the foil game.  Really like the looks of their design.  Wondering if you guys have any further comments on the
775.  How does it compare with the new GoFoil M280?  Is it a good beginner foil to get started with and then go down to a smaller wing?

We're finally getting the 775 wings into some testers hands, I should have more to report soon. Everything I've seen regarding the M280 has been online. Robert from Blue Planet did a good review on their Youtube channel. The M280 is a pretty massive wing, quite a bit larger than the 775 & most seem to agree it's a downwind specific foil, too big for surf. The 775 would still be a good surf foil (as well as a good downwinder foil for most) but I wouldn't call it a beginner foil, the wing sizing is more body & wave size thing rather than ability, although the larger wing would be easier to catch waves on.

unclesaltdog

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #31 on: January 08, 2018, 08:20:55 AM »
I'm really hoping the 775 is going to be big enough for a 50+yo 85kg but reasonably fit beginner (fairly new kite foiler and have been SUP downwinding for years) to downwind foil on.
I suspect though that I will want a larger size at least equivalent to the 200 gofoil, I think foil downwinding is the future but most crew will need a bigger foil than they think.

Hanging out to try but appreciate the need to test and get them right.

LM

• Site Sponsor
  • Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • KeNalu
    • Email
« Reply #32 on: January 09, 2018, 01:44:03 AM »
I'm really hoping the 775 is going to be big enough for a 50+yo 85kg but reasonably fit beginner (fairly new kite foiler and have been SUP downwinding for years) to downwind foil on.
I suspect though that I will want a larger size at least equivalent to the 200 gofoil, I think foil downwinding is the future but most crew will need a bigger foil than they think.

Hanging out to try but appreciate the need to test and get them right.

I think it will be. I read elsewhere about Go Foils sizing & from what I read I think Go Foil's listed sizes are MUCH larger than actual, the dimensions just don't add up. Our 775 should be larger than their original Maliko but probably a bit smaller than the 200. Guys I know (around our size, yours & mine) found the original Maliko to work farily well as a downwinder. I think the larger wings will bit a bit easier to keep on the foil (we're planning on doing some larger wings too) but too much bigger will limit them to "downwind only" use (too large for surf). I do agree that most will find larger foils will be beneficial for downwinding. It seems "how big is too big?" might be the next question.

I've always enjoyed the beginning/evolutionary stages of sports & although foiling isn't necessarily new, it's just now starting to take off. It's going to be really fun to see where it goes over the next few years.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 09, 2018, 08:22:39 PM »
The Maliko is very flat, which makes it a bit more stable than a foil with anhedral, but a little harder to turn. I think the flatness makes it more suitable for downwind as much as the size does.  The 280 is flat out huge. I'm trying to figure out what to get. My knee seems to be behaving enough to jump in. I've got a board ready--my old L41 SimSUP, now I just need to commit.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2018, 08:26:22 PM by PonoBill »
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

LM

• Site Sponsor
  • Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • KeNalu
    • Email
« Reply #34 on: January 10, 2018, 04:18:40 AM »
The Maliko is very flat, which makes it a bit more stable than a foil with anhedral, but a little harder to turn. I think the flatness makes it more suitable for downwind as much as the size does.  The 280 is flat out huge. I'm trying to figure out what to get. My knee seems to be behaving enough to jump in. I've got a board ready--my old L41 SimSUP, now I just need to commit.

If you're willing to wait a bit we'll have your "magic" size soon I think  :)

unclesaltdog

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #35 on: January 11, 2018, 10:31:55 AM »

We are all just guessing ATM and I agree the flatness would make it more stable and hence easier to learn on, however once you get used to downwind SUP foiling I am sure (for me at least) I would prefer a fair bit of anhedral as I think the ease of turning would make downwinding more fun and allow you to position yourself better on the bumps.

I know with kitefoiling the flatter wings breach much more when turning compared to the more curved wings.

cnski

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #36 on: January 12, 2018, 07:41:17 AM »
WOW Lane!! Had no idea you had designed a foil. The design looks really good and is definately an upgrade to what is currently available on the market. Very thoughtful design.

blueplanetsurf

• Site Sponsor
  • Teahupoo Status
  • Hawaii's SUP HQ
    • View Profile
    • Blue Planet Surf
« Reply #37 on: January 21, 2018, 11:22:12 AM »
Lane sent me a foil set with the two wind sizes to test.  I only had one short session on the 775 wing so far and it worked well, watch the video report here:

https://youtu.be/4pHDVipYGIo

« Last Edit: January 21, 2018, 11:31:01 AM by blueplanetsurf »
Robert Stehlik
Blue Planet Surf Shop, Honolulu
Hawaii's SUP HQ
http://www.blueplanetsurf.com

exiled

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 29, 2018, 01:06:40 PM »
Weird that they are using a slanted tuttle box adapter. Have those ever been used for sup foil applications? Seems like they would only work on windsurfers.

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #39 on: January 29, 2018, 02:52:29 PM »
Gong from France uses slanted Tuttle box.

LM

• Site Sponsor
  • Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • KeNalu
    • Email
« Reply #40 on: January 29, 2018, 09:16:56 PM »
Weird that they are using a slanted tuttle box adapter. Have those ever been used for sup foil applications? Seems like they would only work on windsurfers.

Naish & others use them as well. The only squared off ones I've seen are Go Foils. Both types work just fine, but if transitioning from one type to the other you need to make the mounting holes on the board slightly oblong.

exiled

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 02, 2018, 05:01:45 PM »

Naish & others use them as well. The only squared off ones I've seen are Go Foils. Both types work just fine, but if transitioning from one type to the other you need to make the mounting holes on the board slightly oblong.

Gotcha. Got my tuttle box installed, now I'm just waiting on the roll out.  :D

blueplanetsurf

• Site Sponsor
  • Teahupoo Status
  • Hawaii's SUP HQ
    • View Profile
    • Blue Planet Surf
« Reply #42 on: February 17, 2018, 12:11:06 PM »
Jeff Chang and I used the smaller Ke Nalu Iwa 580 foil wing towing into some big rollers on a big, glassy swell day on Oahu's North Shore. I have to say the foil felt great, very balanced.  The smaller wing size was good at the higher speeds of these fast moving waves.  A longer mast would have really helped, the foil breached quickly and we had a lot of high speed wipeouts, that's why we are not doing a lot of turns, just going straight and and trimming the foil took full concentration and focus.  We started feeling a bit more comfortable towards the end of the session, here is a gopro video of some of our better rides.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ClP-zfDB2bU
« Last Edit: February 17, 2018, 12:15:22 PM by blueplanetsurf »
Robert Stehlik
Blue Planet Surf Shop, Honolulu
Hawaii's SUP HQ
http://www.blueplanetsurf.com

all~wet

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 17, 2018, 01:34:24 PM »
Aaahhhhh man- you boys fly-in!
Looks so fun.
Every time I think I've talked myself outta foiling.....

LM

• Site Sponsor
  • Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • KeNalu
    • Email
« Reply #44 on: February 18, 2018, 02:46:29 AM »
Jeff Chang and I used the smaller Ke Nalu Iwa 580 foil wing towing into some big rollers on a big, glassy swell day on Oahu's North Shore. I have to say the foil felt great, very balanced.  The smaller wing size was good at the higher speeds of these fast moving waves.  A longer mast would have really helped, the foil breached quickly and we had a lot of high speed wipeouts, that's why we are not doing a lot of turns, just going straight and and trimming the foil took full concentration and focus.  We started feeling a bit more comfortable towards the end of the session, here is a gopro video of some of our better rides.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ClP-zfDB2bU

Nice video Robert! Other than the mast length (we will be making them longer) it looks like it was working fairly well for you.

One note for those on the waiting list for foils: I haven't forgotten about you, Robert is one of our "test pilots" that's why he has one & you don't. We're still fine tuning things with the fuselage, hopefully we'll have things sorted out soon. I'll keep you all posted.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal