Author Topic: Ke Nalu Hydrofoil  (Read 42684 times)

LM

• Site Sponsor
  • Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • KeNalu
    • Email
Re: Ke Nalu Hydrofoil
« Reply #15 on: November 18, 2017, 10:52:48 PM »
Will these be ready for Christmas?

I'm hoping so, on a limited basis at least. Purchase will probably be through direct contact since I'm yet to have a website for these. Lots to do on the promotional side now since all of my time up to this point has been in the development/production side of things.

If anyone wants to contact me directly it's easiest through customerservice@kenalu.com.

If I could get some idea of how many people are interested here it might help with both a timeline as well as pricing. I know a lot will depend on what cost I'm offering them at. Retail is set to be at $1,345 for the 585 wing and $1,445 for the 775. Off the top of my head I'm thinking of a 30% Zone discount if there's enough interest. It will be for a limited time & on a first come first serve basis.

LM

• Site Sponsor
  • Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • KeNalu
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: November 18, 2017, 10:55:17 PM »
Looks great! I hope there will be a wind foiling option with smaller front wing and longer mast!

Planning on it. The mast is already capable of being 90cm & I'll continue to work on various wings as things progress/develop.

LM

• Site Sponsor
  • Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • KeNalu
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: November 18, 2017, 11:02:31 PM »
Is this designed as a surf foil or for downwind or both ?   When will we get to know the "zone" price as there are quite a few of foils coming on the market ?

The smaller wing will work well for smaller riders as a downwind or surf wing (about 160lbs for downwinding roughly). This wing would work well for riders up to the 200 lb. range for larger (head high and above) surf.

The larger wing will provide early lift for smaller riders downwinding as should work well for guys up to the range of 200 lbs for downwinding as well. It would also make a good smaller surf foil for larger riders.

For now I'm thinking the next SUP/surf wing will be a bit larger rather than smaller, there seems to be a trend going that direction lately.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 18, 2017, 11:54:32 PM »
Any idea of what the list coefficient of the foil is? At zero AOA.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

LM

• Site Sponsor
  • Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • KeNalu
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: November 19, 2017, 03:53:00 AM »
Any idea of what the list coefficient of the foil is? At zero AOA.

The short answer is no.

We could probably plug that into the computer at a given speed though & find out, I'll check. Most of the testing we did was with at least 2 degrees angle of attack and since the foil section is from a proven foil I was concentrating more on the general "look" of the performance (how the flow lines and pressure looked).  There's a pretty cool website for stuff like this (http://airfoiltools.com/) although since it's aviation related it all about air density, pretty cool though.

supuk

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 19, 2017, 05:16:07 AM »
at a bit of a guess looks like the http://airfoiltools.com/airfoil/details?airfoil=e817-il may give you some info the bill

if you search hydrofoil on there page you get this list.. its the same site as I have been using and has been very helpful

very keen to hear of fell how it performs, its not something that caught my eye and is quite different in looks. always good to see these different shapes.

http://airfoiltools.com/search/index?MAirfoilSearchForm%5BtextSearch%5D=hydrofoil&MAirfoilSearchForm%5BmaxThickness%5D=&MAirfoilSearchForm%5BminThickness%5D=&MAirfoilSearchForm%5BmaxCamber%5D=&MAirfoilSearchForm%5BminCamber%5D=&MAirfoilSearchForm%5Bgrp%5D=&MAirfoilSearchForm%5Bsort%5D=1&yt0=Search
« Last Edit: November 19, 2017, 05:21:59 AM by supuk »

LM

• Site Sponsor
  • Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • KeNalu
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: November 19, 2017, 05:52:47 AM »
at a bit of a guess looks like the http://airfoiltools.com/airfoil/details?airfoil=e817-il may give you some info the bill

if you search hydrofoil on there page you get this list.. its the same site as I have been using and has been very helpful

very keen to hear of fell how it performs, its not something that caught my eye and is quite different in looks. always good to see these different shapes.

http://airfoiltools.com/search/index?MAirfoilSearchForm%5BtextSearch%5D=hydrofoil&MAirfoilSearchForm%5BmaxThickness%5D=&MAirfoilSearchForm%5BminThickness%5D=&MAirfoilSearchForm%5BmaxCamber%5D=&MAirfoilSearchForm%5BminCamber%5D=&MAirfoilSearchForm%5Bgrp%5D=&MAirfoilSearchForm%5Bsort%5D=1&yt0=Search

Not a bad guess from not actually seeing ours in person but that's not it. That one didn't catch my eye either. What I used isn't any that are in the hydrofoil list & I modified it a bit from "stock". I don't really want to give it away in a forum. It's not really a "top secret" but from what I've seen there's no need to make things easier for people that aren't willing to look into things themselves :) & most are I've seen are pretty basic. Nothing at all wrong with basic really as long as it works. But I'm hoping for a bit better than simply "working".

DavidJohn

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: November 22, 2017, 01:32:37 PM »
I had a good look at this new Ke Nalu foil yesterday (at the Merimbula Classic) and it’s very nice.. It’s very similar to my Naish foil but much lighter having a carbon mast and fuselage.

unclesaltdog

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: December 08, 2017, 07:01:51 PM »
Looks great Lane.

I am eagerly waiting to try the larger one.
As my main interest is downwinding though and I am close on 90kg I think a larger wing may be required for me.

I hope you can get some over to Australia soon as we are in the middle of downwind season over in Western Australia and after seeing a foil fly past all the SUP's and Ski's during a recent race, I can't wait to try one.

Also I am a kiter as well so as others have said a longer mast options would be great.

Best of luck with them, as a long time KeNalu paddle user I am sure the quality of construction will be great.

LM

• Site Sponsor
  • Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • KeNalu
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: December 12, 2017, 07:22:26 AM »
Hi Guys,

Just a quick update (& bump to remind) we're finally getting close to shipment day. I'm still not taking payment at this time but if you're interested please shoot me a message with your email address & I can add you to the list for updates. We should have some in the states by the end of the month. There's a fairly good list of interested people, thanks for all your continued support! Once we're ready for payment I'll shoot everyone an email & orders will ship in the order that we receive payment.

Please feel free to contact me with any questions: customerservice@kenalu.com

Happy Holidays!!

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #25 on: December 12, 2017, 08:14:29 AM »
I've been hesitant to even think about getting into foils but you have me reconsidering. I've had a thought in the back of my mind that the perfect foil is going to look like a manta ray and this looks the closest that I've seen.
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

exiled

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 29, 2017, 07:29:55 PM »
How are these coming?

LM

• Site Sponsor
  • Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • KeNalu
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: December 29, 2017, 09:35:09 PM »
I'm finally getting some reports back from some of the "test pilots", I'm really hoping to be ready with these shortly (I wanted to be by now) but I want to be 100% sure they're good to go & don't need any "tweaking". So far so good but I'm still waiting to hear some more. As of yet nobody has tried the larger (775) wing but I'm hoping they will over the next week. Sorry I've been slow to report, I just haven't had much to report lately. As soon as I have anything of interest I'll let you know. & for those of you that are waiting for the Zone offer I'll also email you directly.

exiled

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 30, 2017, 09:47:23 PM »
Awesome! I'm down and frothing for a 775, but I get the desire to want to get everything just right. I can be patient I guess  ;D

bing

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #29 on: January 04, 2018, 10:36:38 AM »
Pretty cool that Ke Nalu is getting into the foil game.  Really like the looks of their design.  Wondering if you guys have any further comments on the
775.  How does it compare with the new GoFoil M280?  Is it a good beginner foil to get started with and then go down to a smaller wing?

* Recent Posts

post Re: Need a new Impact Vest
[Wingsurfing, Windfoiling, Wingfoiling, Wing SUP]
foiled again
April 24, 2024, 08:00:16 PM
post Re: Sunova Ghost 8'10 SUP
[Classifieds]
kliss99
April 24, 2024, 05:01:39 AM
post Re: Need a new Impact Vest
[Wingsurfing, Windfoiling, Wingfoiling, Wing SUP]
PonoBill