Author Topic: Clarification on Bullet V2 for heavier rider  (Read 2708 times)

C.I.Sup

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
Clarification on Bullet V2 for heavier rider
« on: January 29, 2018, 06:23:32 AM »
I am doing some research before buying a board and am a little confused about the SIC Bullet v2.  I do a lot of flat water paddling for fun and exercise in the Puget Sound for the past 5 years.  I do not race but I do like to be competitive with the group that I paddle with and would like decent flatwater performance.  My conditions are everything from pre-dawn flat water to windy conditions with lots of swell and chop; upwind, sidewind, you name it.  I am trying to learn to downwind this year with some local paddles and hopefully prepare for some trips to hood river this summer.  I am 5'10 and my weight fluctuates between 200 lb and 215 lbs.  My previous board was an SIC X-14 (not the pro model) at 28.5" wide and 296 liters.  I was VERY comfortable on this board and feel like I would like something a little narrower.

The Bullet is always very highly thought of, but I have read conflicting accounts about whether they work well for a rider of my weight and skill.  I know the ideal is to demo a number of boards and I am hoping to make a trip to Big Winds sometime this spring, but in the meantime I want to keep my eyes open for something local.  Any comments on how the Bullet would work for me?

Thanks for the help.

Dusk Patrol

• Teahupoo Status
  • PNW
    • View Profile
Re: Clarification on Bullet V2 for heavier rider
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2018, 09:01:43 AM »
Are you in Seattle? You could try my V2.
RS 14x26; JL Destroyers 9'8 & 8'10; BluePlanet 9'4; JL Super Frank 8'6

gone_foiling

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2018, 09:07:07 AM »
It will work for your weight once you are a little more experienced in downwinding. To start I would go for f14 or f16 boards at your weight. That's MHO.
Addicted to foiling at the moment.
My shenanigans on insta @gone_foiling

Eagle

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2018, 09:55:21 AM »
The lads that are fine on the V2 at that weight are experienced DW riders.  But most prefer the much bigger F16 for the glide and steering in steep waves.  The F14 is left for those that need more initial stability or use that board in really rough conditions.

If you are very comfortable and always stay dry on the X-14 -> the narrower surf V2 might be perfectly ok.  But kinda depends on the actual conditions you get.  Really windy and steep drops -> you may get dunked.  Pretty docile small waves and wind -> you should be dry.

My guess based on your description is that you should be on the M14 for variable rough conditions.  The V2 might be pushing it.
Fast is FUN!   8)
Dominator - Touring Pintail - Bullet V2 - M14 - AS23

connector14

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2018, 10:27:04 AM »
You might also want to consider the Imagine Connector 14 X 27 or 14 X 29. They are on sale in Hood River for under $1500 @ Big Winds . They are a popular downwind board,  but I use my 14 X 29 in all conditions. Mine is an older, heavier model that weighs about 30 lbs. The newer 14 X 27 is about 23 lbs.
You are welcome to come over to Hood Canal and try my Connector. Or you could venture to Hood River and try the Connectors they have. I'll probably be selling my Connector one of these days because it is heavier than I like lugging up and down my beach.
"never leave the dock without your paddle"
Imagine Rocket 14 ...my new favorite, smooth and fast and lite
2018 Red Paddle 14 x 27 Elite
2014 Bark Dominator 14....smooth and quiet
2014 Imagine Connector 14...the "barge"

oldfartsuperdad

• Malibu Status
  • Its All About the Journey - Duh
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2018, 11:49:05 AM »
I'm your exact dimensions - wt and height - I find the Bullet V2 to be very stable and very fun to ride.  I have had it down in the Gorge as well as super choppy Puget Sound and Lake Washington.  It helps to have surf experience as you need to move around on the board but at speed it planes out with plenty of stability and my opinion is that it is an easy board to grow into and not grow out of.  Its also decent for flat water workouts but definitely happier during a sweet downwind....you would not be disappointed with this machine.
SIC Bullet V2 14
Custom L41 S3 8.4  145 L
Sunova Creek 9.4 148ltr

Rideordie

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2018, 12:21:01 PM »
Here's my two cents. I also have SIC X14SCC (wife's board now), I have had the X 14 Pro (26) and the FX 14x25 Pro.  People love the Bullet V2.  My son has one.  It is a nice board, but is down wind oriented and pretty slow in the flats and is pretty dated for allwater.  If you want to improve your flat speed I would suggest a different choice thah the v2 Bullet.  There are tons of new "allwater" race boards now in multiple dimensions.  Note that I am also your exact size. 

SIC has two new boards that are very interesting.  SIC Bayonet is a downwinder and the RS is Allwater (24.5, 26. 28).  RS is similar in my mind to the Starboard Allstar, which has proven to be a great shape.  I am now riding an Infinity Blackfish (4 fins) 14 x 26.75 inch custom.  I have found that for my size 26 is about the optimal width.  FX at 25 was OK, but sits a bit too tall in the water for my taste.  In the chop, you come to really appreciate that extra inch or so.  Due to extra fins, Blackfish is very stable and you can probably drop an inch or so from the width.  Blackfish is crazy stable with all 4 fins deployed, does not give up too much on flats and is the fastest sprinting board I have ever paddled. Very comfortable in big rough water.  I have heard that the very expensive Naish Maliko is a nice board, but I have never paddled one.  Happy hunting!!

2021 SIC RS 14 x 24.5
Naish Glide 14 (v2)
SIC X-14 SCC  
KeNalu Konihi 95 xTuf(s)
KeNalu Mana 90 100 Flex

Blue crab

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2018, 03:07:47 PM »
Hi CI, For Hood River & legit downwind days on the sound (like this Saturday  :)), you'll want a downwind specific board for sure.  This is particularly true if you can hold onto your X14 for flats and down breeze conditions.  The V1 & V2 Bullet will not let you down. Both will require a bit of time at your size (I am 6'0" & 190) but will ultimately be a joy.  Even better if you can get your hands on one, is an F16.   The SIC boards are so great because they work for all level of paddler.  For downwind beginners, they are quick to get on plane and stable.  For those with more experience, they surf left and right and link glides beautifully. If you want some time on a V1 carbon bullet or V3 F16, drop me a line. I am in West Seattle and happy to let you take it out.

Eagle

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2018, 03:36:40 PM »
On flat the V2 speed is not as fast as other more dedicated narrower race boards.  But did race a DW buddy 1/2 my age upwind and on flat.  He was on the V2 and myself on the Dom.  Interestingly we were going the exact same speed with comparable width boards.  Personally expected the deep vee Dom to pull away but that did not happen over a short 2 minute sprint.  Over say 2 miles would the expect the Dom to pull ahead.

The diff however became really apparent DW.  The V2 scooted away from the Dom easily.  Was going full speed on the Dom but the V2 kept sliding further and further ahead.  That was a big eye opener.  In rough conditions and slop and chop the V2 also is much easier to handle.  Overall out of all our boards -> would probs keep the V2 if could keep only one board.  Is a touch slower than the Dom but is much better when it gets rough out.

Basically every board has its very own set of pros and cons.  So just depends what you specifically want more out of a board.  More speed or more stability or more whatever.  Chose accordingly.  ;)
Fast is FUN!   8)
Dominator - Touring Pintail - Bullet V2 - M14 - AS23

* Recent Posts

post Re: Need a new Impact Vest
[Wingsurfing, Windfoiling, Wingfoiling, Wing SUP]
PonoBill
April 23, 2024, 07:55:28 PM
B-Walnut
April 23, 2024, 07:26:43 PM
spindrift
April 23, 2024, 07:16:46 PM
B-Walnut
April 23, 2024, 06:56:28 PM
post Need a new Impact Vest
spindrift
April 23, 2024, 06:36:51 PM
post Re: Ocean Rodeo Glide-Allula
kiteboarder
April 23, 2024, 06:06:50 PM
B-Walnut
April 23, 2024, 04:22:52 PM
kiteboarder
April 23, 2024, 03:07:49 PM
B-Walnut
April 23, 2024, 02:59:32 PM
Dwight (DW)
April 23, 2024, 02:41:07 PM
post Re: Erik Antonson interview with Stacy Peralta
[Random]
surfinJ
April 23, 2024, 01:34:42 PM
post Fanatic 8.3 Allwave
[Classifieds]
firesurf
April 23, 2024, 01:28:40 PM
B-Walnut
April 23, 2024, 01:24:35 PM
post Re: At what age did you, or do you plan to retire?
[Random]
surfinJ
April 23, 2024, 01:24:13 PM
post Re: Jimmy Lewis Super Frank
[Classifieds]
firesurf
April 23, 2024, 01:17:06 PM
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal