Author Topic: Apple Watch Saves Kitesurfer  (Read 3100 times)

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
Apple Watch Saves Kitesurfer
« on: November 13, 2017, 09:49:52 AM »

JEG

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Apple Watch Saves Kitesurfer
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2017, 12:25:01 PM »
good to know he's safe.
I always take a phone with me in a waterproof case and it can also make calls outside the case which is handy.

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2017, 01:22:32 PM »
With phones costing $1000, no more phones in the water, no mater how water proof they claim to be. A watch I’m will to risk out there.

connector14

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2017, 01:35:33 PM »
I keep my "waterproof" S7 in a ziplock bag when I'm out paddling :).....Nice to know I could make a call if I really needed to,  but I really carry it to run Endomondo to track my sessions.  It's lasted almost 2 years now without issue.
"never leave the dock without your paddle"
Imagine Rocket 14 ...my new favorite, smooth and fast and lite
2018 Red Paddle 14 x 27 Elite
2014 Bark Dominator 14....smooth and quiet
2014 Imagine Connector 14...the "barge"

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2017, 02:02:13 PM »
Possibly Saved. He hit a hole, de-rigged, and avoided a long 'kick' floating on his kite by calling for help. Been there in " Shark infested waters :) " a mile and a half off shore. I de-rigged, laid on my boom and sail and paddled in the dark for probably half an hour. There were no cell phones back then. I finally made it back to my car and drove home. 
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

Off-Shore

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • HksupaHK SUP and Downwinding
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2017, 04:18:40 PM »
That is a happy ending and why I always carry a phone...but... it may not always work especially if you are a ways off shore.

A bunch of my downwind buddies in Long Island were called in to the coast guard by a concerned member of the public on a massive downwinder from Orient Point to Montauk (“The Northwestern Passage” downwind run) last Friday. When they landed they were met by the coast guard who told them in no uncertain terms to carry VHF radios or not paddle in such conditions in the future. So... I ordered mine at the weekend.
SB 9' x 33' x 4.1" - RPC 9'8" iSUP - SB All-Star 12'6" - Blue Planet Bump Rider 14 - SB Ace 14 x 27 - RedAir 14' Elite Race - SIC Bullet 14v1 TWC - SICMaui F16v3 Custom

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/HksupaHk_SUP_and_Downwinding

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2017, 11:15:18 AM »
Possibly Saved. He hit a hole, de-rigged, and avoided a long 'kick' floating on his kite by calling for help. Been there in " Shark infested waters :) " a mile and a half off shore. I de-rigged, laid on my boom and sail and paddled in the dark for probably half an hour. There were no cell phones back then. I finally made it back to my car and drove home.

^^That. Surprising how many kiters don't know how to self-rescue. Of course, the ones I see flopping in the Columbia are a select sample--those that don't know how--but there's a lot of them acting helpless, waving frantically to anyone passing by while their kite blows around at the end of the lines. Even if his kite wouldn't launch it curls into a nice sail.

The watches look handy, but it doesn't cost me anything to take my iPhone and I get music and the paddle bitch coaching me as well. "Shark infested waters"--I guess that means the ocean in general. I'm well past the replacement time for my 6s. I need to replace the battery soon, but I don't see much in the new stuff to get me excited. I'm more focused on pervasive wireless and IOT. If Apple fixed some of its tethering issues then, yeah, sure, but until then I can take my 6S in its waterproof stuff and not worry about it.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

SUP Sports ®

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Stoked For Life ®
    • View Profile
    • SUP Sports ®
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2017, 11:54:31 AM »
Good to see that John used his noggin...didn't panic...and, was rescued...live to kite another day...
Cool guy...he's bought several SUPs from us...happy ending...
Mahalos...{:~)

WARDOG ®
Owner/CEO  StandUp Paddle Sports®  &   SurfingSports®.com, Inc.

(805)962-SUPS (7877) store
(888)805-9978 toll free

Retail Store:
Standup Paddle Sports, LLC
121 Santa Barbara St.
Santa Barbara, CA 93101

eastbound

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2017, 02:44:11 PM »
waterproof phones with water damage are covered by warrantee these days---no more water sensor sticker in the batt compartment that gets them off the hook

otoh i wouldnt volunteer that id had a damaged phone with me while getting seriously beaten at denton's peak ................
Portal Barra 8'4"
Sunova Creek 8'7"
Starboard Pro Blue Carbon  8'10"
KeNalu Mana 82, xTuf, ergoT

PabstSUP

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2017, 03:16:00 PM »
I carry a waterproof VHF radio when I go on downwinders in Long Island in the Great South Bay.  The one I have - Cobra MRHH500FLTBT Floating VHF Radio with Bluetooth Wireless - connects to my phone which stays dry in a waterproof pouch.  I can simply call the last number dialed (my wife) with the radio and confirm my exit/pickup point.  If I were to get into an issue I can simply use one of the emergency channels.  I am also considering picking up a Personal Locator Beacon, though my downwind runs don't usually take me into the open ocean... I would certainly have one if I was living in Maui.   
Hobie Raw 8'11
Sunova Flow 8'4"
Sunova Speeed 8'10
SIC Bullet 14' ASS

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal