Author Topic: Introducing the Bear Mountain Downwind run - Vid - Hudson River, NY State, USA  (Read 8285 times)

Eagle

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Yeah numb fingertips for 3 days is cold.  Even for a few hours is bad enough.  But very excellent seeing Icha try out that DW run.  Good on ya mate.  Agree that the pics and vids are nice as well.  Paddle on lads!
Fast is FUN!   8)
Dominator - Touring Pintail - Bullet V2 - M14 - AS23

Ichabod Spoonbill

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Hudson Valley, NY
    • View Profile
    • HVH2O
    • Email
I'm guess I'm lucky that my fingers ended up okay. I was wearing neoprene gloves, but I spent a fair amount of time in the water. Maybe it was that second run which did Burchas and off-Shore in!
Pau Hana 11' Big EZ Ricochet (Beluga)

Ichabod Spoonbill

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Hudson Valley, NY
    • View Profile
    • HVH2O
    • Email

805StandUp

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
I did an article on the run:

https://supexaminer.com/2017/11/first-downwinder/#.Wg2L7LaZNsM

Enjoyed reading about all of your adventure in the article and in this post especially since I know the area.  Grew up in NYC but my parents moved to Northern Westchester for a period of time after I left home.

digger71

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
I notice that alot of boards used for downwinding have pintails. What is the reason for this?  The reason I ask is that

For me it has to do with the feeling that a wide, square tail board gets "pushed around" a lot by the following swell.  Learned that the hard way on an Infiniti 14' in short period Viento run in Hood River.  Some guys are fine with it but I felt way less stable than on a pintail

JEG

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Ichabod Spoonbill, good read https://supexaminer.com/2017/11/first-downwinder/#.Wg2L7LaZNsM.

also had my 1st dw about 4 months ago on a narrow board (24.5") so wasn't a good experience but I'm looking forward to the next one.

Eagle

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Ha!  Nice read.  My first go was on my Dom with Luc on his Sportster if my memory serves me.  Then remember going into Squamish with him using my wife's Touring pin long ago.  Super fun but super tricky.  Sharp displacement nose boards need special attention in bumps.  Not the best for newbs to learn on.  Then got the bright idea to use proper boards like the Bullet V2 and M14.  Hello?!?  ::)
Fast is FUN!   8)

burchas

• Custom Built
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
I did an article on the run:

https://supexaminer.com/2017/11/first-downwinder/#.Wg2L7LaZNsM

Good read Spoonbill! Would be very interesting to try your Pau Hana.

This Saturday might be good on my stretch of the Hudson. See if you can make it.
I don't think we'll have too many good opportunities like that in the coming moths where
the weather cooperates.
in progress...

Ichabod Spoonbill

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Hudson Valley, NY
    • View Profile
    • HVH2O
    • Email
I'll try. My wife has a funeral service to go to, so I'll see. How's the parking down there?

yugi

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
an 11ish by 30ish allround surf shape works just fine for strong wind short fetch bumps. Great for first steps in DWing. I still occasionally use my Naish Nalu 11'4 x30 and it's surprising how one can keep up with DW boards if the wind is festive enough.

Just find reallllly warm booties for cold water DWs as your feet are a lot more in the water than on bigger DW boards. 6.5 or 7 mm. I presume the water is getting really cold. I've sailed there in collegiate regattas hosted by West Point.

Nice article. I hear you on the older windsurf wetsuits. Wetsuits have come a long way in the last 10 years. I've had wetsuits like that I froze in. Now I use a Rip Curl E-Bomb Pro 4/3 Zip Free for conditions like your day out. I use an impact vest on top, a  1mm sleevless hoody underneath (just to have a hood on hand) and a windbreaker around my waist for if it's cold (mostly used before depart and upon arrival). So much mobility I would never be able to go back to a stiffer wetsuit. As a windsurfer you'd be surprised that 4/3 can be enough. Thing is SUPing you move a lot more and the extra mobility is priceless.

« Last Edit: November 17, 2017, 04:53:53 AM by yugi »

Eagle

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
I'm happy to try out my Pau Hana 11. I've surfed that board before, and I'm stable as hell on it. I don't think I'll ever own a dedicated downwind board, so yeah. Surf what ya' got!

If you plan to do more of these DW runs would think about the 28 M14 or even 30 F14 if you need more stability.  A bit slower off the mark yes.  But you should be able to stay quite a bit drier than on the Bullet 14.  However if you can get that PH11 to work -> then you are gold.

Fast is FUN!   8)

eastbound

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
you guys out or going out today?

wind's angry as ever today, in case there's a good run for the direction

there's hope for it to quiet down in nj, but unlikely there'll be rideable surf in ny area
Portal Barra 8'4"
Sunova Creek 8'7"
Starboard Pro Blue Carbon  8'10"
KeNalu Mana 82, xTuf, ergoT

burchas

• Custom Built
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Angry as hell is right! Epic day. A post to follow...
in progress...

Ichabod Spoonbill

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Hudson Valley, NY
    • View Profile
    • HVH2O
    • Email
So amazing, guys. I'm glad I was able to enjoy it from afar.

JEG

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
hows that splash on the left, looks like fun but that cold weather.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal