Author Topic: The Ranch to open?  (Read 8082 times)

southwesterly

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
The Ranch to open?
« on: November 11, 2017, 09:42:37 AM »
 Does anybody know any details about this?

Is it the land just south of Jalama or is it Cojo?

http://www.mercurynews.com/2017/11/10/californians-may-gain-access-to-a-mile-of-rural-coast/

SUP Sports ®

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Stoked For Life ®
    • View Profile
    • SUP Sports ®
    • Email
Re: The Ranch to open?
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2017, 10:30:31 AM »
Very misleading picture...showing Shark's Reef and Govies south of Pt. C...
SB County has been trying for years to expand the Jalama Beach Park to the south...they were trying to get 20 acres...now, it's 36 acres...
It sounds about like that stretches from the current park down to "Cracks"...north of Tarantulas...

Shallow victory, really...it doesn't open up "The Ranch"....and, any development along the bluffs south of the current park will just add visual blight to an otherwise relatively unmolested view...of course, it will also add more surfers who don't want to walk the mile on the beach to the lineup...

http://www.ksby.com/story/36804195/coastal-commission-could-vote-to-open-up-coastline-south-of-jalama-beach
Mahalos...{:~)

WARDOG ®
Owner/CEO  StandUp Paddle Sports®  &   SurfingSports®.com, Inc.

(805)962-SUPS (7877) store
(888)805-9978 toll free

Retail Store:
Standup Paddle Sports, LLC
121 Santa Barbara St.
Santa Barbara, CA 93101

southwesterly

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2017, 05:31:24 PM »
   All right, thanks Wardog.

I was thinking the Ranch was going to open. Santa Cruz without houses.

Sounds like business as usual, nothing to see here.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2017, 05:35:42 PM by southwesterly »

SUP Sports ®

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Stoked For Life ®
    • View Profile
    • SUP Sports ®
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2017, 11:55:33 AM »
Yeah...it gets kinda disorienting not having houses to line up with...;-)

I've been surfing and camping at Jalama since before I could drive...the first surfing road trip that I ever took...and, I think that it will suck if they build structures on the bluff...much rather see open space and Coreopsis...they've already ruined a lot of the plantings that created wind shelters and privacy along the camp sites by cutting them too far back...they never recovered during the drought...

WARDOG ®

(888)805-9978 toll free

Retail Store:
121 Santa Barbara St.
Santa Barbara, CA 93101

supsurf-tw

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2017, 02:31:56 AM »
No part of the Hollister Ranch will ever be open to the public.
Boards:

8-10 x 31 Egg
8-11 X 32 Double wing Fangtail Tom Whitaker
8-6 X 30 1\2  Inbetweener Tom Whitaker
8-4 x 30 Hyper quad Tom Whitaker (wife's now)
8-4 X 31 1\4.  Round (wide) Diamond Tail Quad Tom Whitaker
 9-4 X 30 1\2. Swallow Stinger Quad Tom Whitaker (ex wifes now)
10-0 Brusurf for teach

surfinJ

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2017, 11:45:25 AM »
Home of the “free”.

Sorry, couldn’t keep that one in.

Zooport

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2017, 12:17:13 PM »
I've never surfed The Ranch, but don't people get to Cojo Point by boat and surf?  My old surfing buddy said he did a bunch of times.  Like the old days of surfing Trestles. 
8'6 Soul Compass
9'1 Sunova Creek
9'6 WaveStorm SUP
9'8 Starboard Element

surfshaver

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2017, 03:06:31 PM »
Zooport, technically there are two ranches, Hollister and Bixby.  Bixby is further west and includes Cojo and Government Points.  Everyone who surfs there gets there by boat, even those fortunate enough to live on the Hollister Ranch.  Bixby Ranch was purchased a few years back by a real estate company owned by the large Boston-based Hedge Fund Baupost Group.  What Baupost plans do to with the property in terms of development remains unclear.

For the record, I've never surfed Cojo or Governments but from pictures I can tell you they are both world-class waves when they're on. 

supsurf-tw

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2017, 05:58:33 PM »
Zooport, technically there are two ranches, Hollister and Bixby.  Bixby is further west and includes Cojo and Government Points.  Everyone who surfs there gets there by boat, even those fortunate enough to live on the Hollister Ranch.  Bixby Ranch was purchased a few years back by a real estate company owned by the large Boston-based Hedge Fund Baupost Group.  What Baupost plans do to with the property in terms of development remains unclear.

For the record, I've never surfed Cojo or Governments but from pictures I can tell you they are both world-class waves when they're on.
When I had full access to the HR I'd park on the far north boundary on the beach and walk up to Cojo and Perkos. Beautiful meditative walk. Surf and walk back to my truck. That first cold Corona was something to look forward to. Yes Cojo is as good as they say but better.
Boards:

8-10 x 31 Egg
10-0 Brusurf for teach

surfshaver

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2017, 06:07:41 PM »
Supsurf, I've thought about doing the same thing.  I've been out at Little Malibu a few times and found myself looking wistfully up the coast...I've heard some guys ride bikes when the sand is hard.  Cojo is definitely on my bucket list.

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2017, 06:58:55 PM »
Tw, I offer that it's only a matter of time before the Coastal Commission can no longer ignore the access issues there. (Not that I'm a fan of forcing the access issue at such a remote area.)

After all the billionaires they've fought I think it's probably just a matter of someone griping and it'll start a 20 year fight.

I'm torn, part of me still wants to dream of a lotto win (or decent exit from my company) and buying some access to private waves, but then my inner hippie kicks in and says that if you're willing to drive out there, you oughta get to surf.

But really who wants all those undesirables from Santa Barbara clogging up the waves. I hear that there are still some people in that town who make less than $500k a year! How do they live? Do they wash regularly? Don't only murderers and rapists make under $250k a year? (Shudder.)

supsurf-tw

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2017, 05:49:31 AM »
Tw, I offer that it's only a matter of time before the Coastal Commission can no longer ignore the access issues there. (Not that I'm a fan of forcing the access issue at such a remote area.)

After all the billionaires they've fought I think it's probably just a matter of someone griping and it'll start a 20 year fight.

I'm torn, part of me still wants to dream of a lotto win (or decent exit from my company) and buying some access to private waves, but then my inner hippie kicks in and says that if you're willing to drive out there, you oughta get to surf.

But really who wants all those undesirables from Santa Barbara clogging up the waves. I hear that there are still some people in that town who make less than $500k a year! How do they live? Do they wash regularly? Don't only murderers and rapists make under $250k a year? (Shudder.)
You can believe me when I say it will never open. There are some heavy hitters there and every time the issue comes up the legal resources available are more than the State, etc want to deal with. The State has a hard time financially maintaining the current park system and attempting to add more cost to the system is something that is unrealistic. Plus, gaining access through the HR is virtually impossible due to the way titles are held.. There's no law against walking in so in reality it is open to the public however as I mentioned, direct access won't happen.

The place is now crowded with the current owners\guests and boaters if there's a swell so if you have these images of perfect crowded waves, you're mistaken. You surf in shifts. You pull up and wait for the guys out there to have some time then paddle out with the next bunch of guys that have been waiting.
Boards:

8-10 x 31 Egg
10-0 Brusurf for teach

Zooport

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2017, 08:29:33 AM »

You surf in shifts. You pull up and wait for the guys out there to have some time then paddle out with the next bunch of guys that have been waiting.

Surfing in shifts is hard for me to imagine given the greedy attitudes of many surfers.  Is this practice organized or enforced? 
« Last Edit: November 14, 2017, 08:35:39 AM by Zooport »
8'6 Soul Compass
9'1 Sunova Creek
9'6 WaveStorm SUP
9'8 Starboard Element

Weasels wake

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2017, 08:55:23 AM »

You surf in shifts. You pull up and wait for the guys out there to have some time then paddle out with the next bunch of guys that have been waiting.

Surfing in shifts is hard for me to imagine given the greedy attitudes of many surfers.  Is this practice organized or enforced?
Kind of both, organized and enforced by very long time local surfers that live there, they are territorial but not to the extent of the Lunada Bay types, they are getting older after all.
It takes a quiver to do that.

SUP Sports ®

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Stoked For Life ®
    • View Profile
    • SUP Sports ®
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2017, 09:52:49 AM »
Tom has it right...it's much more difficult to get it uncrowded these days...
Some Ranch families have 3 & 4 generations of surfers in them...and, there's always been a sense of entitlement...

It's been 50 years since it was exposed in Surfer mag...and, it's still closed to the public...open access will not happen in our lifetime...

A boat allows for different approaches to access...but, also comes with hurdles...especially, since the pier is still out of commission for launching boats...so, driving up from SB Harbor or beach launches are the call...I've scored it as good and uncrowded as it gets...but, have also spent a good deal of time dealing with boating issues...which will happen sooner or later if you do it often enough...also, I've seen the biggest GW shark of my life up at Govies...near where longtime SB waterman Rob Rebstock (R.I.P.) was bit...YMMV...

WARDOG ®

(888)805-9978 toll free

Retail Store:
121 Santa Barbara St.
Santa Barbara, CA 93101

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal