Author Topic: Third SOLOSHOT3 video  (Read 9375 times)

surfercook

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Jersey Shore
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube
    • Email
Third SOLOSHOT3 video
« on: November 10, 2017, 06:00:19 PM »
Third video session and it definitely was a learning curve for me! Quite pleased w/the SS3's performance w/the Opti25 this go out. Blurs on zoom sometimes but I always had a static frame w/my Kodak z90 so the zoom is nice. This edit took about 6 hrs. The only frames I adjusted were of the shortboarders which I zoomed in about 30%. I'm surfing my 9'11" paddleboard in this video. I did add a touch of contrast, brightness, and saturation for better color. It was a pretty grey day w/only a bit of sun peaking through occasionally. After about 60 mins my tag died so the cam doesn't follow me after that. You can see where I paddle to the north and out of frame. The SS was aimed to the south so I added some clips of my buddy who was trying his hardest to catch a wave! I did return to the base and get my other tag but figured I'd recalibrate over again instead of trying to seamlessly add the second tag. It stayed on strong for over an hour but the base died about 30 mins into the second session. Only like 90 mins w/the base but I was shooting on auto. I will have to try "Button Press" to trigger the REC cycle next time to save battery. The SS2 would go for over 3 hrs easy and my Kodak had an upgraded 5 hr battery which I loved.
https://youtu.be/ZaG2fnsvzBk
« Last Edit: November 10, 2017, 06:25:55 PM by surfercook »
One could go into a mall in Kansas and ask a teenager "What is a surfer looking for?, and the answer will always be, "The perfect wave"
9'11" PSH Hull Ripper-145 ltr    
9'3" PSH  Hull Ripper- 130ltr 
8'0" Corevac Assassin -127 ltr   
Paddles- Carbonerro PRO SERIES 85 & Riviera Camo at 70"

surfercook

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Jersey Shore
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube
    • Email
Re: Third SOLOSHOT3 video
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2017, 08:26:52 PM »
One could go into a mall in Kansas and ask a teenager "What is a surfer looking for?, and the answer will always be, "The perfect wave"

eastbound

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2017, 06:54:50 AM »
mine is supposedly on the way--got the ship-to address verification email last week--one concern i have is that the frame seems to catch more of the wave behind the surfer, rather than in front--prolly can edit to correct this, but def like to see more of what is to come, than that which surfer has already ridden (which is of course whitewater at that stage)
Portal Barra 8'4"
Sunova Creek 8'7"
Starboard Pro Blue Carbon  8'10"
KeNalu Mana 82, xTuf, ergoT

surfercook

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Jersey Shore
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2017, 06:17:31 PM »
eastie- def tough getting centered! Good luck w/your SS3. It's amazing how many people will have them now. There are two fb forums of SS users that started up a while go during the wait for release of the Three. "SoloShot 3 UserForum" and "SOLOSHOT3". It's been fun and interesting watching every ones progress and setbacks.

I did another demo today for practice. Some walking and bike riding to school the new device.
https://youtu.be/fh-P8oj6Px0

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2017, 07:36:17 PM »
The speed of the GPS is limited on consumer GPS products. The further away you are, the easier it is to track because you get a higher number of reads from the GPS within the frame. When you are riding the bike past the camera, you are relatively close. The reads from the GPS are less, creating a lag which leaves you to one side of the frame or the other. If it were able to utilize the auto focus capabilities on the camera, compare the GPS reads with the AF data and use that to drive the SOLOSHOT , the results it would probably be spot on. I know it doesn't work that way now, but you may see that happen in future models.
The green spot is lens flaring which happens when the camera is pointed into the sun. You might try setting up the SOLOSHOT further away from the you on the beach. It will more than likely improve your framing. Just a hunch.
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

WhatsSUP

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2017, 06:27:54 AM »
Cookie-Mon:  Are you at all regretting now that you didn't go with the Optic65 cam (vice 25)?  It's obviously a chuck of $'s more and I suspect a good number of folks thought the 25 would be plenty but I'm wondering if some of those folks are now wishing they shelled out a bit more dinero.

Thanks....look forward to your/others thoughts!
Jimmy Lewis B&B Flat nose 10'1"
Sunova Creek 9'4" 
TAVA 11'2"
NSP Element 11'
KeNalu Wiki paddle
Kialoa Insanity paddle
Misc other paddles

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2017, 08:06:57 AM »
Another thing I noticed is the level of the subject (Cookiemon) is below the center of the frame. Auto Focus and Zoom are totally different mechanisms. Camera's have multiple Auto focus points that the sensor detects. The more expensive the camera, the faster the sensor and the more the Auto focus points. The Auto Focus points start in the center of the frame and fan out from there. A $2,000 DSLR will have more than 50 AF points it scans. A $300 DSLR will have maybe 10 AF points. The AF is always hunting for a focal point in the center of the frame. The way your SS is setup, you're not centered in the frame at any given time. It's like it needs to tilt down. Maybe try wearing the tag on your ankle to see if that gets you centered horizontally. It may help with a better AF result and framing?
It's not overhead to me!

surfercook

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Jersey Shore
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2017, 02:53:01 PM »
Some good points made by forum members here. At present there are two options for framing, "Center" and "Center Bottom". I started utilizing "Center" today which makes sense taking Tall's comments into consideration.
I am indeed regretting not getting the Opti65. So much so that yesterday I sent emailed a request to SS for an upgrade. Have yet to get a reply which is understandable since they are flooded w/support requests and shipping responsibilities. I will say that the 25 is more than adequate to capture most breaks, but I'm interested in setting up really far and elevated for a different pov.

Synopsis of today's SS3 experience here and some important tips SS released recently.

Interesting day at the beach w/the SS3 today. Setup and calibrated w/out issue. Jumped in the surf and thought base was set to shoot video in "Med Zoom" and "Center Frame". Surfed for a solid hour triggering video w/the "Plus" button. Finally went in to check unit and increase zoom to "Tight". Turns out I was shooting hi-res bursts! Oooops! So I changed settings to video and "Tight". Returned and caught a few more confident I was now shooting video. Triggering shutter cuts down on file sizes BIG time. Also makes editing and finding highlights much easier obviously.
Framing was a bit off as I'm pretty far to the right but I never checked framing so my bad. Also should note the wind picked up quite alot and was gusting to 25mph easy. The tripod blew over at one point so I rushed to shore and righted it in a hurry sinking the legs in the sand to steady it proper. Luckily no damage and the unit re-calibrated immediately. It's a miracle that I actually managed one decent hi-res burst sequence.
I feel fortunate to have received my SS3 before winter sets in here in NJ. It was rather nice today w/abundant sunshine and relatively warm temps in the mid 50s.
Tossed all the frame grabs and shots into a Flickr. There's a slideshow option which is nice

https://flic.kr/s/aHsm9F5BJV

A message from SOLOSHOT:
"Please make sure that during initial calibration, the Tag is at least 25 ft away from the Base (this was recently implemented since it improves the rate of tracking success). Also note that moving horizontally side-to-side in front of the SOLOSHOT3 helps the unit get a better lock initially than moving to and from the camera.
To better explain, there is about a 7m area of uncertainty around where the Base thinks it is upon the start of calibration versus where it actually may be. Thus 22 ft (25 for safe measure) is the initial minimum tracking distance for calibration. Once the Base gets more confident over the session, then you can move closer to it. If the subject gets inside the minimum tracking distance, the green tracking LED may turn off and the camera could stop moving or point in the wrong direction such as up at the sky, down to the ground, etc. and that's a signal that you need to step further away from the Base.
As the camera grabs a lock on the Tag and starts to track, the SOLOSHOT3 starts to get a better understanding of where it is and the area of uncertainty gets smaller. This both lowers the minimum distance (up to 10 ft) and improves tracking over time. The key is to stay outside of the initial minimum distance long enough to allow the Base to pinpoint it's location."

surfercook

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Jersey Shore
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2017, 06:21:11 AM »
 I set framing to "Tight" to check it out. Horizon is a bit off and I'm not centered so great but I'm stoked as this is hands down the closest video I've ever scored.    🌊🎥🎬 It's really hard to see the lcd in bright sunshine. I started bringing my reading glasses w/me to see that little screen. When I would shoot w/the SS2 my Kodak z90 had a viewfinder. MUCH easier to see. I sure hope the SS app will have connectivity at one point. I have a Samsung tablet that would be perfect to adjust framing.
Some windy peaks in bright crisp sunshine made for some great clarity and color in these clips.

eastbound

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2017, 10:41:46 AM »
you are dialing it cookie!

brace yourself for when i come begging for help!
Portal Barra 8'4"
Sunova Creek 8'7"
Starboard Pro Blue Carbon  8'10"
KeNalu Mana 82, xTuf, ergoT

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2017, 12:23:10 PM »
+1  Framing, tracking and focus is spot on. 100% stroke!

Put it this way. If I was trying to video you from my tripod, I doubt I could track you, frame you, and maintain focus as well as the SS does. 
« Last Edit: November 18, 2017, 01:18:33 PM by TallDude »
It's not overhead to me!

supthecreek

« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2017, 02:43:23 PM »
Cookieman.... that's is awesome!
Good color, focus and framing.... even at speed.

Stoked to see this progress from the early attempts.

My 65 arrives by Tuesday, so expect a call.... I'll need a lot of help  :)

clay

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • www.clayisland.com
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2017, 03:01:25 PM »
I set framing to "Tight" to check it out. Horizon is a bit off and I'm not centered so great but I'm stoked as this is hands down the closest video I've ever scored.    🌊🎥🎬 It's really hard to see the lcd in bright sunshine. I started bringing my reading glasses w/me to see that little screen. When I would shoot w/the SS2 my Kodak z90 had a viewfinder. MUCH easier to see. I sure hope the SS app will have connectivity at one point. I have a Samsung tablet that would be perfect to adjust framing.
Some windy peaks in bright crisp sunshine made for some great clarity and color in these clips.

Way cool, that's the best SS footage I have seen!  First that has me really wanting to get one. 

Image quality wise I am wondering if there is some digital zoom and sharpening happening, either in camera or in editing?
Aloha, I welcome and appreciate all responses of positivity and good feeling.

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOIE6FWr1SpWvbPJIIiEgog

surfercook

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Jersey Shore
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2017, 08:51:53 PM »
You guys are stokin me out, man! I haven't setup in a while. Surfed a local contest and the SS3 sat in the car so I could concentrate on making my heats. Surfed five heats into the semis too!

eastbound- ask away. I'll do my best.
TallDude- You are right, it is def hard to video someone hand held. And a tripod does help BIG time when shooting manual. But I disagree about framing in "Windy Peaks". The horizon is crooked and I'm framed to far from center to the right. Check out this video my son shot for me quite a few yrs ago. It was my first year on sup and I was demoing a Starboard Pocket rocket. My first taste of a shorter performance sup!

creek- good luck w/the new generation! It's a complex robo-cam for sure. Be glad to help out if I can.
clayI hope you get one! I wanna see you riding w/your elevated board cam from a beach pov! Curious if have any footage like that now that I think of it.
This video capture from Election day 2016 might just be one of the best the SS2 ever performed for me w/my Kodak mounted on it.
It may not be as zoomed and crisp as "Windy peaks" but it's centered almost perfectly. The SS2 is manually calibrated and framed and takes at least 10 mins. I have a three point config for the camera adjust to horizon, that if done proper nails it. This day was one of those "Good as it gets" kinda days.  8)
https://youtu.be/OPIcsx8bN5A

« Last Edit: November 20, 2017, 08:55:39 PM by surfercook »

clay

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • www.clayisland.com
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2017, 12:14:31 PM »
I have yet to yet beach pov of me surfing.  I want to see that as well  :)

And i hope you are able to upgrade ro the 65, the close to the action the better!

I am asking about the ss3 because I really like the zoomed in tight framing look, I love being able to see more detail and really learn what's going on.   My decision is whether to get the 65 or wait for the pro version, I have a new camera that I'm in love with.

Creek - I see you on so many new different boards and surfing at a high level so I am really looking forward to seeing beach ss3 videos of you.
Aloha, I welcome and appreciate all responses of positivity and good feeling.

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOIE6FWr1SpWvbPJIIiEgog

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal