Author Topic: Need advice..Surf SUP for SC east coast mush for int/adv surfer/SUPer  (Read 6614 times)

AshevilleSUP

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
Struggling to find the right SUP for waves on East Coast which are rarely waist high and usually mushy I'm 180lbs. I grew up shortboarding and pretty aggressive surfer with experience. I bought a 10'6 surftech pig about 32' not sure volume but its a hoss and riding for 2 years but need something more fun. You really have to work hard to get it moving and loose in fun waves.

I'm looking at a used Kings Simons 8'6 31" 140L but wondering if that will be too much volume to move around the face????  Or do I need more volume since waves will likely be weaker here on E. Coast.  Wave count -vs- Performance???Would appreciate any feedback.  Thanks in adavance

abmatt

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Need advice..Surf SUP for SC east coast mush for int/adv surfer/SUPer
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2017, 10:10:35 AM »
That Kings would be a huge change, while still giving you PLENTY of float, wave catchability and maneuverability for our East Coast mush. You could go smaller/narrower even, but that Simmons shape could be a one-board surfing quiver. How often do you get out? I see the Asheville in your name; if it's only occasionally I wouldn't go much smaller. It's good to have something that you can just jump on and go without having to getting used to it all over again.

anonsurfer

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2017, 12:31:53 PM »
Struggling to find the right SUP for waves on East Coast which are rarely waist high and usually mushy I'm 180lbs. I grew up shortboarding and pretty aggressive surfer with experience. I bought a 10'6 surftech pig about 32' not sure volume but its a hoss and riding for 2 years but need something more fun. You really have to work hard to get it moving and loose in fun waves.

It sounds like you need to go with less volume.  An intermediate SUP Guild Factor (GF) range is 1.3 - 1.6 L/KG.   If you are 180lbs (82kg) that would be a volume range of 107L - 131L.   An advanced intermediate would ride a GF in the 1.1 - 1.3 range.   

You will notice a significant jump in "performance" at a GF below 1.3.

Home Break: Doheny
Tic Tac v3 (Hoglet): 6' 6" x 23" x 3.6" x 67L
Omni: 6' 9" x 23" x 3.75" x 68L
Tic Tac (OG): 7' 0" x 22.75" x 3.5" x 70L
In The Pink (Incoming): 8' 0" x 22.9" x 3.25" x 70L

Blackproject Surge S77 (Soft Flex Shaft, T-Grip, +0" OH)

Badger

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Seacoast NH
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2017, 01:21:20 PM »
The King's volume calculator puts the target volume for a 180lb intermediate/advanced rider at 123L. Advanced would be 108L. I guess it all depends on how advanced you are.

https://www.kingspaddlesports.com/pages/boardvolume

« Last Edit: November 10, 2017, 01:49:18 PM by Badger »
Kalama E3 6'1 x 23" 105L
Axis HPS 980 / PNG 1300
Sunova Flow  8'10 X 31"  119L
Me - 6'0" - 165lbs - 66yo

surfafrica

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • YouTube
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2017, 01:30:46 PM »
+1 on @anon's volume recommendation

SIMS shapes are really fun on mushy waves.  L41 ST, Kings Simmons, Infinity Pheonix.  For more performance, the SIMS-influenced performance shapes are really fun too--Infinity RNB, L41 Popdart.  My shaper makes a Cornice shape that is really fun mushy waves too--Kronos Nutter Butter (or the Nano for a more traditional shape).

http://www.l41surfcraft.com/about-1-1/

http://www.infinity-sup.com

https://www.surfkronos.com
« Last Edit: November 10, 2017, 01:39:14 PM by surfafrica »
50 years old, 5'7", 150 lbs, intermediate
Infinity RNB: 7'6 x 28, 95 L https://goo.gl/SqlWR4
Kronos LB: 8'10 x 26.5, 84 L https://goo.gl/4iQdps
Kronos Nano: 7'4 x 26, 81 L https://goo.gl/kAM8W6

805StandUp

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2017, 01:37:26 PM »
I agree with both Abmatt and Anonsurfer here.  The Kings would be a huge difference from the Surftech, may be a good forward step and the SIM shape should work well.  That said, I also found that I tend to like boards in the volume range that Anonsurfer mentions now but didn't progress there in one step.  I weigh 185 have currently have two Surf SUPS (sold all my others)--a Laird Surfer 9'0x29.5x113L long board SUP and a Starboard Hypernut 7'4x30x105L and find the volume on these to be really good for me.  They each can work well in mushy waves with the shorter Hypernut requiring late takeoffs but so much fun.  For a longboard-style SUP if you don't want to go down to 113L right away the Laird Surfer 9'6x30x122L is an amazing board with the volume in the right places.  Since you are shortboarder, there are also quite a few shortboard-style SUPs out there that may suit your style well too but not sure they would be my first choice in mushy waves.

APPST_Paddle

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2017, 04:49:23 PM »
Sent you a PM
7'6" JL Super Frank Lean
8'2" JL SuperTech 
10'1" JL Black and Blue
14' BIC WS Tracer
6'5" JL Flying-V/GoFoil Maliko 200
Kenalu Ho'oloa 95, Werner Rip Stick 79

NorthJerzSurfer

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2017, 05:42:33 PM »
I agree with both Abmatt and Anonsurfer here.  The Kings would be a huge difference from the Surftech, may be a good forward step and the SIM shape should work well.  That said, I also found that I tend to like boards in the volume range that Anonsurfer mentions now but didn't progress there in one step.  I weigh 185 have currently have two Surf SUPS (sold all my others)--a Laird Surfer 9'0x29.5x113L long board SUP and a Starboard Hypernut 7'4x30x105L and find the volume on these to be really good for me.  They each can work well in mushy waves with the shorter Hypernut requiring late takeoffs but so much fun.  For a longboard-style SUP if you don't want to go down to 113L right away the Laird Surfer 9'6x30x122L is an amazing board with the volume in the right places.  Since you are shortboarder, there are also quite a few shortboard-style SUPs out there that may suit your style well too but not sure they would be my first choice in mushy waves.
Shameless plug. I have a 106l hypernut for sale in the classifieds. Sounds like your it's exactly the remedy for your question.

Even if not my board. A 100-115 ish simmons'y' shape is your answer

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

spirit4earth

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2017, 06:27:34 PM »

I'm looking at a used Kings Simons 8'6 31" 140L but wondering if that will be too much volume to move around the face????  Or do I need more volume since waves will likely be weaker here on E. Coast.  Wave count -vs- Performance???Would appreciate any feedback.  Thanks in adavance
[/quote/

Welcome!  I am from Asheville myself, but I'm currently in Seattle.  Missing the mountains!
« Last Edit: November 10, 2017, 06:29:34 PM by spirit4earth »

Mahi

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2017, 04:17:08 AM »
If you can find a King's Super Simmons... It's less volume and rides great on the east coast. 
Naish Mana 9'5"
Starboard Pocket Rocket 8'5"
King's Super Simmons 8'6"

madeinsantacruz

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2017, 06:40:12 AM »
Something to consider with the wide-tailed SIMS shapes is they feel as stable as a board that's a foot longer.  So that 8'6 Kings with 140L may not feel like a huge departure from what you're currently riding.  The true beauty of these shapes is how short you can go and still be comfortable. 

Having said that, this is all subjective.  If you're curious get the Kings Simmons and learn from it.  The resale value on them is very good!

MISC   

surfshaver

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2017, 12:36:21 PM »
Hey Asheville, I feel like I can weigh in here cause I'm almost the same weight and background/experience as you.

I think 110-115 liters is the right range where you will get the performance you want.  For the record, I ride one of the short/wide boards already mentioned here, an L41 Popdart.  7'10"x29 at 115 ltrs.  I rode it this morning at my local reefbreak with southern hemi swell and sets up to 3-4 feet overhead.  With waves that size it absolutely flies -- it feels like doing a downhill run on a skateboard.

Given your waves/conditions, I'd go for a version with less rocker than my board -- the l41 Simsup ST would be ideal for you I think.  This is a board that will get as much speed as possible on the waves you ride.  And as an experienced surfer you know speed is everything.

An alternative would be the new JP surf slate.  Similar design but with a tail that is more rounded and pulled in, with the purpose of going more vertical.  What the Popdart achieves with more progressive rocker, the new JP tries to get by pulling in the planshape.  But again, if most of your surf is below head high and on the mushy side, you want speed.

You can't go wrong with an L41.  Full custom for a fraction of the cost of a JP, Naish, SB, etc. and incredible construction.  I've had mine for a year and only have a couple of minor scratches.

Good luck!

« Last Edit: November 12, 2017, 12:38:39 PM by surfshaver »

dietlin

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2017, 05:11:37 AM »
"...SUP for waves on East Coast which are rarely waist high and usually mushy..."

calls for a longboard style SUP, which will have better low end than a miniSimmons style SUP.  And you can use it for flat water paddling.  My 2 cents.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2017, 05:17:04 AM by dietlin »

APPST_Paddle

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2017, 05:56:42 AM »
"...SUP for waves on East Coast which are rarely waist high and usually mushy..."

calls for a longboard style SUP, which will have better low end than a miniSimmons style SUP.  And you can use it for flat water paddling.  My 2 cents.

Yeah, I agree - I actually have 3 different boards for 3 different conditions:

10'1" JL Black and Blue - straight noseriding longboard
8'8" JL SuperTech - Go to board for when conditions are good, I went a bit longer just for a little extra glide in our conditions
7'4" JL Surf Wide - For mushy, short period, wind swell - comes in quite handy

If I was going to go with 2, I'd go longboard and a primary board. There are still quite a few days where you want a traditional shape in lieu of the longboard.
7'6" JL Super Frank Lean
8'2" JL SuperTech 
10'1" JL Black and Blue
14' BIC WS Tracer
6'5" JL Flying-V/GoFoil Maliko 200
Kenalu Ho'oloa 95, Werner Rip Stick 79

JimK

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Big Guys can have fun too!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2017, 08:33:14 AM »
It is hard to look past the Fanatic AllWave(2015's have great shape but low volume than current offerings)for east coast waves but the Sunova Skate is really good too and if You are looking at a 2 board quiver the Sunova Style & the Fanatic StyleMaster are low volume high-performance longboard

All these have a ZONER DEAL too

PM me for more details

JimK
Extreme Windsurfing

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal