Author Topic: Vitamin D - some people are made to worry about it.  (Read 3651 times)

Wetstuff

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Wetstuff
Vitamin D - some people are made to worry about it.
« on: August 20, 2018, 02:38:42 PM »
We, and most, don't have an issue, but some are lead to worry by people (wait for it!...) skimming $$$$ from an already leaky medical system promoting testing and supplements. 

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/08/18/business/vitamin-d-michael-holick.html?utm_source=STAT+Newsletters&utm_campaign=053c00c518-MR_COPY_01&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_8cab1d7961-053c00c518-149647217

Jim
Atlantis Mistress .. Blue Planet MultiTasker ..   Atlantis Venom

eastbound

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Vitamin D - some people are made to worry about it.
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2018, 05:19:58 AM »
interesting, not so surprising, read, wet---thx

i got on a crazy supplement kick for about a year, stopped, and now, 3 years later, just threw all that crap out--at a NYC drug disposal center--dont want that shlt in our waterways--whether or not some supps make sense, the entire industry is toxic with fake science and money---i figure good foods are the best source of vitamins and nutrients

other part was the  losartan 25 i finally agreed to start taking, as a "starter med" for my mild high BP--which drove me to minimize sodiium--only way to do the is to cook for oneself--and if cooking for oneself, you control ingredients--why not choose best quality??

new regime is simply as much unprocessed or minimally processed plant product of all kinds---along with occasional low-mercury fish, organic free range eggs, nuts, seeds, rice, grains, legumes, beans, tofu etc--no chicken pork beef or dairy--rare bread, which of course in often processed, always high in sodium

i dropped from a high a 208 lbs to a steady 185 while eating as much as I want, and ive seen inflammation decrease significantly---seasonal allergies way less potent--havent take an allergy pill in 18 months, after 30 years taking whatever the newest thing was--used to have a chronic rash on my face which was controlled for years with regular cortisone use (baaad for skin and eyes)--no mas--now this aint science, but whatever has gone on, it sure aint harming me

try it--youll get used to the good food, and ultimately enjoy it--youll effortlessly and permanently drop excess weight--youll probably feel and be a lot better--and no way youll harm yourself eating this way

supplements? why? there's too much real food that contains anything you need to be healthy---and the supp industry is riddled with lying charlatans, who are minimally regulated--

And DR. D sounds like a better-dressed charlatan snake-oil peddler than most

Portal Barra 8'4"
Sunova Creek 8'7"
Starboard Pro Blue Carbon  8'10"
KeNalu Mana 82, xTuf, ergoT

Wetstuff

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Wetstuff
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2018, 08:28:44 AM »
EB...  Ya, you don't need some 'spirit guide' from S. Bch, Depression-era fables or a self-credentialed 'Dr.' making wild claims to simply eat half decent.  In NYC you probably have better access to decent food than most.  I once lived in Door County Wisconsin where a non-refrigerated lettuce truck made about 15 stops before it got to us.

"..who are minimally regulated"   ...if you look back, it was Orin Hatch who basically forced the government to stay out of the supplement makers business.  (akin to not allowing research on gun violence)  Hatch himself was a vitamin peddler as a young person ..and not only is his son a lobbyist in DC since the 90's for these companies, a number of his former staffers are.  (curiously, Mormons as a lot are into a whole bunch of multi-level marketing schemes...) 

My wife takes a number of things I never would, but she cross-references them at Sloan Kettering.

https://www.mskcc.org/cancer-care/diagnosis-treatment/symptom-management/integrative-medicine/herbs

Jim
Atlantis Mistress .. Blue Planet MultiTasker ..   Atlantis Venom

eastbound

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2018, 11:43:03 AM »
yep hatch has been bought by the supp manufacturers

excellent low-hype site
Portal Barra 8'4"
Sunova Creek 8'7"
Starboard Pro Blue Carbon  8'10"
KeNalu Mana 82, xTuf, ergoT

Surfside

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2018, 12:29:39 PM »
Well stated EB

SUPcheat

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2018, 11:47:29 PM »
So, the cat is out of the bag.  Doctors can be whore-ey.  Why toil in the vineyards for ungrateful patients who are looking for reasons to sue you when you can just get paid to participate in a profitable craze, or take marching orders from drug or alcohol industries?

So much is UNKNOWN and UNPROVEN even today, that filling the gaps with profitable conjecture posing as science is about as common as miracle diets in Cosmopolitan's advertising section.

Quacks can make a lot more money than "legitimate" providers in many instances, with no effort other than assertion fallacy mingled with random speculation and audience gullibility, so why not take the shortcuts and get rich?

Nothing better than hitching your wagon to a successful nostrum or craze therapy.

When I was in dental school, they talked about a dentist who toured the country with satchels full of candy giving talks in grammar schools that sugar was good for your health and that all the news about tooth decay was false, ending by handing out candy.  He was handsomely paid by the sugar manufacturing industry.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2018, 11:50:56 PM by SUPcheat »
2013 Fanatic Prowave LTD 9'3"x30.5x@134L
Sunova Speeed 8'10"x29.12@131L
Sunova Flow 8'7"x30.25"@121L
Carbon 9.3x32@163L Hammer
Me: 6'1"@230 lbs 68 years old

connector14

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2018, 03:24:09 PM »
......sort of reminds me of fin salesmen.....ya just gotta try it! :o
"never leave the dock without your paddle"
Imagine Rocket 14 ...my new favorite, smooth and fast and lite
2018 Red Paddle 14 x 27 Elite
2014 Bark Dominator 14....smooth and quiet
2014 Imagine Connector 14...the "barge"

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal