Author Topic: Plain Jane AWD daily driver  (Read 7938 times)

mrbig

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Plain Jane AWD daily driver
« Reply #15 on: November 11, 2017, 04:38:11 PM »
p06781, Ounce of prevention worth a pound of cure. I learned exactly what you described during my post mortem examination and study..

Let it come to you..
SMIK 9'2" Hipster Mini Mal
SMIK 8'8" Short Mac Freo Rainbow Bridge
SMIK 8'4" Hipster Twin
King's 8'2" Accelerator SharkBoy

Eagle

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 12, 2017, 10:38:23 AM »
I love my 05 subi legacy Gt 5mt ! So much fun .

Of course would never advocate anyone do this just for fun.  That would just be silly.  But in the name of AWD science.  Hmm?  Legacy GT on sheet ice.  Sweet.  ;D

https://youtu.be/_s6aqHLZDYo
Fast is FUN!   8)
Dominator - Touring Pintail - Bullet V2 - M14 - AS23

Eagle

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 12, 2017, 11:56:10 AM »
In deep snow when you let off the gas in a sharp turn the brake box chatters.  It is def not a good sensation as it kills speed.  Burned pads do not smell good.  So some traction control remains active even with VDC off.  Best to turn off VDC to get moving again.  On slick ice no probs at all.

For the street it is best to always leave VDC on.  With both AWD pulling and pushing you thru a turn -> and VDC enabled you get the result shown in the pics.  Incredible traction in the wet.  So much so you expect some slip but get near zero.  The car just hugs the wet road.  Amazing tech.  Handles like a champ.

Will step out the rear in a wet sharp corner -> but with judicious throttle brings everything back in line right away.  :)
Fast is FUN!   8)

johnysmoke

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 14, 2017, 06:19:51 AM »
Those 2005 Legacy turbo wagons are a bit of a unicorn, to me at least. I'll never understand why people prefer the current bloated Outback to something like that 2005 turbo wagon, just astounds me, it's essentially the same size inside and everything. I had a 2012 Outback with a 6 speed, and it was such a poor driver, I got rid of it when I found myself trying to figure out how to lower it and add a turbo. Hard to find a decent sized wagon anymore, everything has morphed into the generic crossover. If Subaru still offered a decent turbo wagon I'd currently be driving one, I'm too old and want more comfort, space, and utility than a wrx, so no more Scoobys for me.
SIC F14
Bark Eliminator
C4 Beachboy

Eagle

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 14, 2017, 12:11:15 PM »
Engine and gear whine in this proper low slung Levorg GT.

https://youtu.be/SCNEOQS42KU
Fast is FUN!   8)

Eagle

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 14, 2017, 02:26:59 PM »
If Subaru still offered a decent turbo wagon I'd currently be driving one, I'm too old and want more comfort, space, and utility than a wrx, so no more Scoobys for me.

^ Yep.

Once we were done hauling around our trailer for our kids camping trips -> we dumped our 4WD truck.  But it did have a locking 4 Lo so we could crawl anywhere we needed.  With BFG ATs that thing was unstoppable.

After that got a Sienna for space and E430 for a bit of V8 power and luxury.  But found those things just too big and cushy.  Since -> prefer small cars as we no longer need interior lugging capacity.  They also make loading our boards a breeze.

But do appreciate the popularity of a higher seating position and CVTs.  However for us those things are just too tippy and have poor driving dynamics.  But like always diff strokes.  Big money makers tho.

A Levorg with manual on the new Global Platform would be the enthusiast ride if Subaru decided to make and sell one here.  They are making them with CVTs because so many peeps have never learned how to drive stick.  Diff gen.
Fast is FUN!   8)

blackeye

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 14, 2017, 11:12:34 PM »

A Levorg with manual on the new Global Platform would be the enthusiast ride if Subaru decided to make and sell one here.

I'd buy exactly that. maybe two of them.

Ichabod Spoonbill

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Hudson Valley, NY
    • View Profile
    • HVH2O
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: November 15, 2017, 05:16:42 AM »
I never really warmed to Subarus. I don't know why. Maybe it's the station-wagon looks or something like that. Maybe it's because my brother had a Forester, and he annoys me.

I'm looking for a plug-in AWD hatch as my next ride, as my CRV is getting towards the end of its life. I was thinking about VW's new Tiguan, but word is the hybrid version isn't coming to America. Maybe Honda will come out with something decent soon, like a plug-in HRV or CRV. I hear Ford is looking to electrify its Escape line again, which might be interesting too.
Pau Hana 11' Big EZ Ricochet (Beluga)

eastbound

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 16, 2017, 08:27:26 AM »
owned a mazdaspeed3--loved it--til i took my friend's wrx ti for a spin on a curvy road--still loved it, but knew better......
Portal Barra 8'4"
Sunova Creek 8'7"
Starboard Pro Blue Carbon  8'10"
KeNalu Mana 82, xTuf, ergoT

Eagle

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 16, 2017, 11:20:23 AM »
A throwback vid with these funny monkeys.  Evo vs STi.

https://youtu.be/5Nd0ljCdpYY
Fast is FUN!   8)

eastbound

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 17, 2017, 09:50:56 AM »
i believe the mazdaspeed was the fastest of the three "boy racer" cars--by a tiny margin

handling superiority of the sti was significant
Portal Barra 8'4"
Sunova Creek 8'7"

eastbound

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 17, 2017, 09:51:17 AM »
how to delete a duped post?

this is an edit

tried to edit, clear the field, but it wouldnt let me post with blank field
« Last Edit: November 17, 2017, 09:54:44 AM by eastbound »
Portal Barra 8'4"
Sunova Creek 8'7"

Eagle

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 17, 2017, 03:59:27 PM »
i believe the mazdaspeed was the fastest of the three "boy racer" cars--by a tiny margin

handling superiority of the sti was significant

Had a 323 then a Protege way back.  Nice little reliable cars.  But no Speed.  Got the Boxster S for a sporty drive instead.  Killer handling car on dry and at the track.  Flat 6 screams to the rev limiter.  Intoxicating.  You just want to floor it to hear that over and over.  Never gets boring.

Gotta say have pushed the little Impreza quite a bit already and it surprises me more and more.  For a daily driver that thing is way better than expected.  Have not taken it to rev limiter yet -> but getting close.  Floored it a few times tho.  Slowly warming up this new engine.  The small flat 4 def provides more pull than expected.  WRX power would be nicer no doubt.  But this thing is def not bad.

In wet especially this thing rocks.  Throw it in a corner and it slips and goes.  No big tail happy surprises like that STi in the vid.  Clean execution and tons of grip.  So can say is a perfectly decent fun daily driver.  That Impreza.  Not bad at all.
Fast is FUN!   8)

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal