Author Topic: Ski in foil land  (Read 2982 times)

headmount

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Ski in foil land
« on: November 05, 2017, 09:53:02 PM »
We have a spot that lifts up a nice bump, around waist to head high that barely breaks but rolls about 1km to the beach.  It's perfect for the foilers and they put up with me until I get a board together.  We had a recent storm and as you can see in first pic there were logs to avoid.  I was lucky.  The logs will even stop a foil.  But great fun. 

Now it's back to the wind regime and today there didn't seem to be so much debris in the water.

Night Wing

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Piney Woods of Southeast Texas
    • View Profile
Re: Ski in foil land
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2017, 04:38:23 AM »
Nice action shot photos. I like those types of waves for sup surfing, but it is very rare to get them where I go on the upper Texas coast.

Thanks for sharing.
Blue Planet Duke: 10'5" x 32" x 4.5" @ 190 Liters (2 Dukes)
Sup Sports Hammer: 8'11" x 31" x 4" @ 140 Liters
SUP Sports One World: 11'1" x 30" x 4.5" @ 173 Liters
CJ Nelson Parallax: 9'3" x 23 1/2" x 3 3/16" @ 78.8 Liters (prone surfing longboard; Thunderbolt Technologies build in Red construction)

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2017, 07:28:36 AM »
Headmount, this should add some extra color to your day. One of these days you might find a Hayden in your quiver? The cute aussie chicks are not included.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OCsqHVLxGN8
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

skibike

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2017, 09:00:34 AM »
« Last Edit: November 06, 2017, 09:04:10 AM by skibike »
L41 ST SIMSUP - 7'2 X 28" - 92L

JEG

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2017, 11:05:50 AM »
Peaceful to watch.

headmount

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2017, 02:34:55 PM »

Great vid with drone POVs.  Thanks.  They mention foiling on the Vimeo page as it is obvious to anyone tuning in that a great ski bump is also a perfect foil wave.

As the search begins for the best foil waves it's remarkable that the original search for the perfect wave began a the point on the left of this map, Cape St. Francis, famous in "Endless Summer".  The only issue with this spectacular spot at this Cape Recife, is its close proximity to one of the worst track records in the world for attacks.  Recife is on the right with some red dots, showing attractions.

skibike

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2017, 03:38:58 PM »
As the search begins for the best foil waves it's remarkable that the original search for the perfect wave began a the point on the left of this map, Cape St. Francis, famous in "Endless Summer".  The only issue with this spectacular spot at this Cape Recife, is its close proximity to one of the worst track records in the world for attacks.  Recife is on the right with some red dots, showing attractions.

headmount - I  was a surf lifeguard right there by those red dots. We could virtually see this wave from our clubhouse. Attacks there and in that bay were extremely rare. Yes, further toward St Francis it was more prevalent. This spot and in the bay were spared from attacks mainly due to an offshore small island that was home to a huge seal population. Needless to say, if you took a paddle past that island, you were certain to have a fin follow you.
L41 ST SIMSUP - 7'2 X 28" - 92L

headmount

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2017, 03:57:59 PM »

headmount - I  was a surf lifeguard right there by those red dots. We could virtually see this wave from our clubhouse. Attacks there and in that bay were extremely rare. Yes, further toward St Francis it was more prevalent. This spot and in the bay were spared from attacks mainly due to an offshore small island that was home to a huge seal population. Needless to say, if you took a paddle past that island, you were certain to have a fin follow you.

I was referring to Port Elizabeth but you obviously would know the particularities of specific areas.  We have a few fins around here as well.  Mostly misnamed 'tigers' which have seemed to me fairly sluggish whenever I've spotted them.

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2017, 06:26:49 PM »
Beautiful video man. I want to surf that wave, on any kind of craft I can catch it on.

I think we also need a follow drone that can run for an hour. Get on that Pono.

supthecreek

« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2017, 12:40:32 PM »
Amazing that a wave can  stand up a bit and roll that far without breaking.
That begs to be ridden by something!

headmount

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2017, 11:12:47 PM »
Amazing that a wave can  stand up a bit and roll that far without breaking.
That begs to be ridden by something!
Foils and surfskis work great

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal