Author Topic: Paddle length with a foil?  (Read 9471 times)

norcom

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
Paddle length with a foil?
« on: November 02, 2017, 06:57:07 PM »
I was wondering what the opinion is on paddle length with a foil? GoFoil FAQ says "You can use a longer paddle but it is not absolutely  necessary. Kai Lenny in his videos so far is using his regular length paddles." Do you find that your current length paddle is sufficient enough or would you prefer a longer paddle?

Newps

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
Re: Paddle length with a foil?
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2017, 10:42:39 AM »
My foil paddle is about 2 inches longer then my usual sup surf paddle.  I went with a adjustable handle on my Ke Nalu paddle so that I could experiment with different lengths. 

http://kenalu.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=2&products_id=15
L41 SIMSUP S4 - 7'4" x 30 1/4" x 4 1/2" 112L
L41 SIMSUP S5 - 7'6" x 27 1/2" x 4 3/16" 106L
L41 SIMSUP S4 - 7'8" x 31"x 4 1/2" 122L - Modded w/ a King's TUT Tuttle box and using a King's foil.
L41 SIMSUP S4 - 7'10" x 30 1/4" x 4 1/2" 120L
Starboard Whopper - 10' x 34" x 4 1/3" 171L - w/ FCS GL-1 fins

red_tx

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2019, 11:35:05 AM »
Team foilers,
I have been foiling with the same paddle I use for standup surfing. Roughly 73 inches. I saw the video of Derek H pumping back out with what looks like a longer paddle. Much easier for him to take a stroke on the bottom of the pump bell(if that makes sense).

So I tried my longer paddle ( roughly 78 Inches ) and here are my thoughts.
- the strokes during the pump were easier to achieve. less bending which would in my head create more center of gravity over the stringer as you are not bending over to get a paddle in the water as much.
- Catching waves with the longer paddle always has, and still drove me nuts. So much so that I switched back to my shorter paddle.

So although I felt the benefits of the longer shaft during pump paddles, the rest of the time I felt like I could not drive the paddling into my core as much as the shorter paddle. With the shorter paddle I can exert more direct force, quicker against the water.

felt like a mechanical advantage decrease with the longer paddle.

-red
« Last Edit: December 05, 2019, 12:07:19 PM by red_tx »

JEG

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2019, 12:59:20 PM »
Its personal preference and you get use it once you decide which length you paddle. My race paddle is 2 inches more and my surf paddle is 2 inches less and I  only notice a minor reach issue but its fine on either paddle lenght. What's important is how foil and derek and those legends are exceptional  8)

Califoilia

• Axis Demo Rep
  • Teahupoo Status
  • San Clemente
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2019, 12:59:35 PM »
I never found a need to lengthen my paddle(s) that I used for SUPing to foil with...which is still just head-high.

When flying I'm not paddling, and only use/need it on occasion at height as a kind of feeler-gauge if I'm getting the idea that I might be reaching that critical too high/high enough zone, and don't particularly want to breach the wing.

Since my turning is never done from max height, and I'm typically flying downwards from height to gain speed into the turn, to then fly back around, up, and out of the completed turn...so I find that the SUP length paddle is long enough to plant in the water since I'm already bending/squatting at lot to lower my COG into the turn anyway shortening the distance already...so I then have something to push against to accelerate, and fly the board/foil on the way out and around as I stand/push back up.

Obviously when paddling around and/or for a wave, the board is on the water pretty much exactly like my SUPs were, so added length then is not necessary, and once I get enough speed where I'm getting on foil to start flying...I'm usually pumping more then paddling my that time, so no need for additional length at that time either.

Me: 6'1"/185...(2) 5'1" Kings Foil/Wing Boards...7'10 Kings DW Board...9'6" Bob Pearson "Laird Noserider"...14' Lahui Kai "Manta"...8'0" WaveStorm if/when the proning urges still hit.

blueplanetsurf

• Site Sponsor
  • Teahupoo Status
  • Hawaii's SUP HQ
    • View Profile
    • Blue Planet Surf
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2019, 03:39:16 PM »
I also use the same size paddle for foiling as for SUP surfing, a little less than head high for me.
I tried a longer paddle for foiling but it made it harder to catch waves and did not really help when pumping.  I was actually more likely to hit my foil with the blade when pumping/ stoking with a longer paddle.
Robert Stehlik
Blue Planet Surf Shop, Honolulu
Hawaii's SUP HQ
http://www.blueplanetsurf.com

WindJunkie

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2019, 08:45:57 AM »
I'm 5-10 190 pounds and I'm riding a small board 98 liters.  I had a 76 inch paddle that I broke.   Borrowed a paddle from a friend and thought it was 75.  I would air stroke on occasion when paddling for a wave.  After a couple sessions, I adjusted to the shorter paddle.  About a month later I measured the paddle and to my surprise it was 72.  Now I cant imagine going back to 76.  In fact I'm considering going down to 70.  I paddle while on foil but have adjusted my body position to get to the water.

red_tx

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2019, 11:27:12 AM »
I moved to a shorter paddle as I progressed standing up surfing. I got good at switching sides throughout the ride. I think of it as "flickability" of the paddle.. The ability to move the paddle easily across the front of the board is/was crucial to my game.

My paddle is head high and believe it or not, I feel like I have better leverage stacking my shoulders head high versus overhead high paddle. if that makes sense. I felt like I could not drive the power into my core with the handle up over my head.

-red

flkiter

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2019, 02:55:26 PM »
On the quick blade site, there's a graph for size blade and height of paddle to weight and height ratio. I found it to be pretty spot on for me.

clay

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • www.clayisland.com
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2019, 01:00:21 PM »
I've come down in length to head high, I've also been using an adjustable for around 6 months.  I can see the advantage of longer if paddle pumping back out, for me catching waves with a shorter paddle feels much better.
Aloha, I welcome and appreciate all responses of positivity and good feeling.

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOIE6FWr1SpWvbPJIIiEgog

JEG

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2019, 06:43:30 PM »
I'm about to test 2 inches more 74" & will see what the difference between my race paddle 72" & my surf paddle 70". Also, this longer paddle has more power grab than my race and surf paddle and hope my shoulder will be ok  :)

JEG

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2019, 03:49:05 PM »
Just finish a session 2-3ft  sometimes 4ft.
At 74" height and that's 4" more than my surf paddle and 2" more than my race paddle and paddling in & out of the surf was fine. Having a bigger blade did make a difference on takeoff but the length of the paddle and bending your knee to crouch was hard on the shoulder but managable. Though, I do feel my shoulder is a bit sore.now. The reach on the water during flight is nice to have but I didnt like the paddle takeoff and this is were my short surf paddle is better 70".

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal