Author Topic: New Starboard iSups.......2018  (Read 6157 times)

connector14

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
New Starboard iSups.......2018
« on: November 02, 2017, 12:45:31 PM »
http://star-board-sup.com/2018/boards/race-inflatable/

Anyone else notice the interesting additions to the Starboard iSup offerings?  It will be interesting to see if their efforts to create a stiffer board match Red Paddle's efforts.
I wonder what that 18 X 27 will weigh?  Interesting looking design and features.
"never leave the dock without your paddle"
Imagine Rocket 14 ...my new favorite, smooth and fast and lite
2018 Red Paddle 14 x 27 Elite
2014 Bark Dominator 14....smooth and quiet
2014 Imagine Connector 14...the "barge"

Green Water Sports

• Site Sponsor
  • Peahi Status
  • https://greenwatersports.com
    • View Profile
    • Green Water Sports - Inflatable SUP boards & stand up paddle boards & more
Re: New Starboard iSups.......2018
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2017, 01:58:25 PM »
The airline tech looks interesting but I'm not convinced, yet. Dual chamber has me more intrigued. I hope to do somewhat of a side by side in a few weeks with a 2018 Deluxe Dual Chamber board. Full stock won't arrive until Jan. Claims of better rigidity and the obvious safety benefits, the dual chamber only ads a pound or two and a minor inconvenience pumping the second chamber. Could be an interesting development and something that may be required for by law for safety in the future...
Julian
https://greenwatersports.com
Green Water Sports LLC - Inflatable SUP boards & stand up paddle boards & more. Call us on 1-888-252-4983
Red Paddle Co, Starboard, SIC Maui, Tahe, Naish, Fanatic, Accent Paddles, Onyx, FCS, Vamo

connector14

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2017, 04:57:57 PM »
I am for anything that makes the iSup more rigid and gives it some "shape"......as long as it doesn't add too much weight. I'll be interested to read about your tests in the near future. Funny that Starboard doesn't list any weights yet for the new racing/touring iSups......just TBA.

capobeachboy

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2017, 10:12:54 PM »
For the surfing models the genie boot nose rocker is horrible and they have the best SUP surfers in the world in the vid and they barely make a section.  Expensive pool toys if you ask me.
West Coast Distributor
Dolphin Surfcraft
DEEP Ocean Boards
Ambassador/team rider/rep
KeNalu Paddles

deepmud

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2017, 10:15:58 PM »
"Our most significant breakthrough in tuning rocker lines and deflection."

Adjustable rocker? Reminds me of that kayak I posted, with an internal hydraulic jack - made that straight touring kayak carve the Skookumchuck well enough.

I wouldn't know if it will work on downwind :D

I'm interested in the 18' unlimited flatwater, if it's really as non-noodly :D as I would hope.

capobeachboy

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2017, 02:26:41 PM »
The Starboard river boards are really good and the touring/race, yoga and other stuff looks great. When it comes to surfing inflatables I am just biased toward the ULI designs. The 9' Lopez is still my favorite and it surfs far better than any iSUP and most production hard boards in that range.
West Coast Distributor
Dolphin Surfcraft
DEEP Ocean Boards
KeNalu Paddles

deepmud

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2017, 03:42:19 PM »
are any of those boards for surfing? The shortest is 12' 6" ?

copied from the site:

18’0″ x 27″ All Star Unlimited Flatwater Jump on board and be amazed. The 18’0″ x 27″ flat water board simply is the quickest way to get from A to B and it all packs up into a small bag. With the Airline tech, the long inflatable hull maintains rigidity and the fin is positioned far forward to help turning.

14’0″ x 28″ All Star Downwind The perfect solution for those wanting a downwind race board that’s fast and easy to travel with. 28″ width offers extra stability and control in choppy ocean conditions, while the curved rocker with raised nose kick prevents the nose from diving when connecting bumps.

14’0″ x 28″ All Star Widest outline provides added stability so the rider can reserve energy from balancing and instead use it to maximize paddle power. The wider outline gives extra control in choppy conditions, while the flat rocker maximizes glide for the fastest speed on flats.

14’0″ x 26″ All Star A popular size for many riders that gives enough stability to be in control when conditions get choppy, yet fast and slippery to cover distances quickly. With the extra stiffness and rigidity from the Airline system coupled with the lightweight technology, this board will make you question a hard board.

14’0″ x 24″ All Star Extra fast from the narrow outline. Insanely lightweight and now incredibly stiff from the Airline technology, the 24″ is the real companion for any serious racer. Narrow width is designed for lighter and higher skilled riders that want the fastest speed from the reduced wet area.

12’6″ x 27″ All Star New 27″ width has a slightly wider nose for extra pop in choppy water and wider tail for greater control and stability when buoy turning. Twin stringers on the deck combined with the Airline Technology creates the fastest and smoothest glide ever.

Green Water Sports

• Site Sponsor
  • Peahi Status
  • https://greenwatersports.com
    • View Profile
    • Green Water Sports - Inflatable SUP boards & stand up paddle boards & more
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2017, 07:33:36 AM »
Surf iSUPs are always going to be a compromise but it may be a case of riding some waves or sitting on the beach. Surf board design relies so much more on rail shape and volume, and inflatable boards are (so far) limited in what they can do. Uli have the wiki rail which solves a lot of problems. Other brands use EVA strips to serve the same purpose. Starboard do this on their inflatable windsurf boards.

As for the surf nose, the fixed rail shape is a problem here again, to counter that you have more nose kick. Not aesthetically pleasing but functional.

The Airline tech is interesting, but what will be most interesting is to see if the team riders use inflatables during events in the coming months/years. That'll be the proof.

Julian
https://greenwatersports.com
Green Water Sports LLC - Inflatable SUP boards & stand up paddle boards & more. Call us on 1-888-252-4983
Red Paddle Co, Starboard, SIC Maui, Tahe, Naish, Fanatic, Accent Paddles, Onyx, FCS, Vamo

connector14

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2017, 09:42:25 AM »
I agree,  when we see team riders using them in competitions then we will know they are on to something.
I am eager to see what the weight is of these new boards. I would hope they could be lighter than their comparable hard board models.
Got the new Red Paddle yesterday Julian. Hope to get it setup for a test run either today or tomorrow...but wouldn't you know it started to snow here and it's about 35 degrees outside. Missed the warm spell by just a few days :)........

capobeachboy

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2017, 05:09:02 PM »
are any of those boards for surfing? The shortest is 12' 6" ?

Sorry man I got lost and wound up looking at these: http://star-board-sup.com/2018/boards/surf/
West Coast Distributor
Dolphin Surfcraft
DEEP Ocean Boards
KeNalu Paddles

deepmud

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2017, 08:32:05 PM »
I'm curious to see what the different settings to to rocker....

connector14

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2017, 09:03:11 PM »
Looks like maybe 4 different positions for the cable. I'll be interested to see just exactly how significant the change to the rocker is. Also interested to know what pressure they are recommending for these new boards.
I just got a new Red Paddle Elite with the Forward Flex Control and it also has a small amount of adjustment to the rod length which can change the rocker some. (I haven't had a chance to get the board in the water yet to see how it does). The Red Paddle when pumped to 25 PSI is pretty rigid. Can't wait to try it...maybe tomorrow if it is not snowing like it was today!

PT Woody

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2017, 02:24:45 AM »
I am for anything that makes the iSup more rigid and gives it some "shape"......as long as it doesn't add too much weight. I'll be interested to read about your tests in the near future. Funny that Starboard doesn't list any weights yet for the new racing/touring iSups......just TBA.

The TBA weight thing is not a surprise to me - a couple years back they over promised based on prototypes but the production boards ended up 2kg heavier. Good that they don't make the same mistake a second time.

deepmud

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2017, 01:56:28 PM »
I'm curious to see what the different settings to to rocker....

"DO to rocker.."
I hate not being able to edit my own posts....

connector14

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2017, 02:35:11 PM »
This is Starboard's one year warranty/claim policy......Is there ANYTHING that is covered????
Understanding how the warranty claim system works and what information is needed to successfully process a claim will help us streamline the procedure to return a result within two to five working days.

Missing information is the most common cause for delays and can lead to the claim being rejected altogether.

This form should be completed by the customer and sent to the original dealer who will then filter and forward it to Starboard's National Distributor. Or it can be completed by the shop on behalf of the customer, and sent to the Starboard National Distributor.

If the information is complete, Starboard's National Distributor will return a result within two to five working days.

Warranty Terms and Conditions
This warranty is only valid to the original purchaser or the board from the original dealer.

This warranty is valid for twelve (12) months from the date of purchase of the original product.

This warranty does not cover the following claim conditions:

1) Damage or defects caused by impact with any materials or objects (incl. ramps and sliders).

2) Damage or defects caused by collisions, abuse, misuse or accidental damage.

3) Breakage or defects as a result of prior damages.

4) Damage or defects caused by transport, loading, unloading, dropping, or out of water handling.

5) Damage or defects caused by heel dents.

6) Damage or defects caused by non-recreational use.

7) Damage or defects caused by inappropriate storage or handling.

8) Damage or defects caused by exposure to temperatures over 70'C and under 0'C.

9) Damage or defects caused by natural events such floods, earthquake, fire, etc.

10) Damage or defects caused by alterations or modifications including the use of a larger fin than specified.

11) Damage or defects caused by repairs.

12) Damage or defects caused by usage of the board after a claim is reported.

13) Damage or defects caused by flat landings.

14) Damage or defects caused by improper mounting or adjustment of bindings or footstraps.

15) Any damage except manufacturing defects in material or workmanship.

16) Damage or defects caused by storage of the board in closed, damp conditions (for example a wet boardbag).

17) Damage or defects caused by impact with the sea floor.

A warranty claim has to be filed with the original dealer where the purchase was made or directly with the national distributor in the country of purchase. Starboard's responsibility is limited to repair or replacement of the defective product.

Neither Starboard nor any of its representatives will not be responsible for any losses or damages incurred as a result of loss or use of product.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal